• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identifying the "Personality theories are bad" people

darude11

MBTI Type
INTP
Well then... I have met during my typing ages (which give... hmhmhmm... half year? :D) many people, that said something like "It is wrong to type people!" My idea is, that it maybe is some trait, which could give me indition for typing him/her better. But which trait it is?

I bet you have met lots of those people (mainly because you don't type people since january 2011), so let's share things like... What do they have in common? What do they tend to say you? (Is it more stuff like "Everybody is unique!" or "Theoretizing is bad!"?) How can it help? If it can, of course, help?

Anyway thank you all for your advices, shares and posts! :)

My own examples (optional):
1st - ESTJ
"Why do you want to type people? What good outcomes do you have from it?" This is the question, which most of ESTJ's (actually, the one... the second one is something between ESTP and ESTJ) ask me, when I say them that I am trying to categorize all of the people I meet to the boxes. I just say them then, that it is for example for saying them which job do they mostly like (the most useless part for me for now). They say "People still can say you that they don't want to be this or that." (This is actualy true, then I say them, that "Those registers of careers do depend too from the individuals.", I don't want to be teacher because I believe that I am bad teacher). The one true ESTJ I've met (and the extreme ESTJ) have said me something like "The people can be dishonest, how can you surely tell?" Then I like to tell the sentence, I've read on some typology page. "Human is like bag. You can clearly say, if there is in it ball or brick." But I do assume, that masquerade is possible at people, but... who would be THAT crazy to totaly play perfectly another personality?!

2nd - Feelers at all
Almost every fourth feeler says me "People are unique!" Then I do just say them "Yes, but I determine only the closest type." *they are quiet forever and never talk to me again*

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
infj - everyone is unique! You should just learn more about each person directly instead of putting them in a box and making assumptions from the box.

...can't say I really disagree, actually. At least sometimes.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g"].[/YOUTUBE]

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not the same sort of thing but worth mentioning:

I've met one guy who is a typology nazi. He has made up all sorts of rules surrounding typing, such as, who you can type and who you can't. And if you break them, he tells you that you can't do that. This is on PerC. Needless to say, I wanted to breathe fire on this guy. I put up with him for about, 5 seconds. :laugh:

Jaguar

I've met one guy who is a typology nazi. He has made up all sorts of rules surrounding typing, such as, who you can type and who you can't. And if you break them, he tells you that you can't do that. This is on PerC. Needless to say, I wanted to breathe fire on this guy. I put up with him for about, 5 seconds. :laugh:

Out with it. Who's the type nazi? Lol.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Out with it. Who's the type nazi? Lol.

hahaha, I will provide a hint.... he is istp. It shouldn't be too hard to see over there....... :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
mostly something about how we rely too much on generalizations, which is probably true.

still, i do not think it detracts enough from the premise to not bother with typology when other, more obvious avenues are not working.

darude11

MBTI Type
INTP
What country are you from?
Sounds like a Turkish accent.
Actually, I am from Slovakia. My English may sound (in this case more look) weird, mostly because it is not my primary language.

Typology skips important details, and ignores variation.
This IMO applies on MBTI theory (and maybe other theories, that I don't know...) and maybe temperaments (sanguine etc.). Enneagram accepts variations. How many different enneagram personalities can you count are there, if you assume, that there are variations like:
- wings
- levels
- instinctual variations
- tritypes
etc.

Lemme guess: It's you?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The incredibly stupid over-generalizations that people make about people based on their types ARE completely fucked up... You can't claim that everyone of a type is one way or another based on broad stereotypes (ie all sensors are stupid and feelers are illogical and thinkers are robots)...that is typology abuse. I'm not saying that types don't exist, just that stereotypes and stereotyping are what turns most people off from typology :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
the-phraseology-project_02_large.jpg

Jaguar

The incredibly stupid over-generalizations that people make about people based on their types ARE completely fucked up... You can't claim that everyone of a type is one way or another based on broad stereotypes (ie all sensors are stupid and feelers are illogical and thinkers are robots)...that is typology abuse. I'm not saying that types don't exist, just that stereotypes and stereotyping are what turns most people off from typology :)

From what I have seen, online, I could be accused of stereotyping many Ns as stupid.
Theories aren't "bad," it's their application that has become problematic.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lemme guess: It's you?

No way, I don't make the rules. I just make sure no one makes them for me, outside of reasonable guidelines, of course.

Seems true to me in many instances.

darude11

MBTI Type
INTP

This is not about stereotyping. It's just IMO finding out, if the concrete attribute (now saying about personality theories that they are stupid) is part of ANY dichotomy, combination of dichotomies, triad or something related to typologies. I do that often.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hahaha, I will provide a hint.... he is istp. It shouldn't be too hard to see over there....... :)

He probably thinks he's an istp because he thinks Jung was an istp.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He probably thinks he's an istp because he thinks Jung was an istp.

You are probably right. I don't think he's istp either, but he id's himself as such. Kinda pisses me off.... :laugh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
From what I have seen, online, I could be accused of stereotyping many Ns as stupid.

:laugh: and guns don't kill people...

as usual, the idiots ruin the fun for everyone else by making things distasteful- why is it necessary to use a theory to put other people down? :huh:

This is not about stereotyping. It's just IMO finding out, if the concrete attribute (now saying about personality theories that they are stupid) is part of ANY dichotomy, combination of dichotomies, triad or something related to typologies. I do that often.

well, if you ask people in an different environment where threads like "what type is my left toe?" do not exist, you would have entirely different standards by which to judge people on thier distaste for typology :yes: