• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What exactly differentiates ESFP from ENFP?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
InvisibleJim said:
As the above post has been proving eerily popular:

:laugh:

it's still early, jim, don't give up ;)

i like this:

It is the nature of the Ne dominant to first seek out all potential avenues of idea that are 'practical' before they can be content with their chosen sensatory outlets (Si). It is in the nature of Se dominant to first seek out and experience all potential avenues of sensation to be content before falling back on a collusive idea (Ni) when stressed or excited.

i think i fit that pattern very well. i would say my ESFP friend and ENFP cousin both do, as well. the ESFP engages all sensory possibilities, while ENFPs engage all conceptual possibilities, then we can be satisfied with the other. i think it shows up in how we prioritize attention.

Over time talking to you, I would think of you as sanguine first.

yeah. not that i know you better than you, marm, but nothing about your online personality really says phlegmatic to me.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:laugh:

it's still early, jim, don't give up ;)

i like this:

i think i fit that pattern very well. i would say my ESFP friend and ENFP cousin both do, as well. the ESFP engages all sensory possibilities, while ENFPs engage all conceptual possibilities, then we can be satisfied with the other. i think it shows up in how we prioritize attention.

yeah. not that i know you better than you, marm, but nothing about your online personality really says phlegmatic to me.

Yeah, exactly.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yeah I probably am. Phleg-Sang is just me when I'm tired/burnt out/depressed and I just totally shut down and am like "fuck no."

Even on here I seem pretty Sanguine, I get involved in all kinds of things which are unnecessary, there's nothing low energy about my posting style. Lulz.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

hahahahah!

clearly that was chosen with the mindset "I am not getting enough done! I feel guilty!"

oh and @ Jim ...I lied.

I also have been thinking of taking a break from the forum for a while, it wasn't just because of what you said. I probably will here soon.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have found that many ENFPs using lying and hyperbole to look important, smarter, better, etc (men and women). The ESFPs I know use lying and hyperbole to tell stories and make people laugh, but don't give a shit if others think them stupid (men).
I have never used hyperbole and it would be possible to embellish upon my natural importance, intelligence, or betterness.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have never used hyperbole and it would be possible to embellish upon my natural importance, intelligence, or betterness.

I'm very conscious of my usage of hyperbole in my story-telling, especially things which I've written on-line, because I think it makes things more interesting or funnier. I was told in high school that I exaggerated things I said when I told stories, but it had no bearing on building up my own intelligence or importance or whatever.

My mom does it when she orally tells stories although she doesn't write as much as I do. My grandparents used to call it "lying." But it's not lying. She does it specifically to make her stories about people and things more interesting, which is common in story telling traditions. It's why I don't trust the Bible, because frankly it seems like another hyperbolic fairy tale or folk tale.

I mean it gets the point across. Story telling is IMPERATIVE to the human experience, just like music, because story telling transmits culture, history, morality, and point of view. Sometimes hyperbole is what is needed to hold people's attention, so they really get the point.

Think of movies like Big Fish and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button...or Forrest Gump, even. I love movies like that because they hearken back to traditional folk story telling, it's not entirely unlike Jack and the Beanstalk or David and Goliath.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm very conscious of my usage of hyperbole in my story-telling, especially things which I've written on-line, because I think it makes things more interesting or funnier. I was told in high school that I exaggerated things I said when I told stories, but it had no bearing on building up my own intelligence or importance or whatever.

My mom does it when she orally tells stories although she doesn't write as much as I do. My grandparents used to call it "lying." But it's not lying. She does it specifically to make her stories about people and things more interesting, which is common in story telling traditions. It's why I don't trust the Bible, because frankly it seems like another hyperbolic fairy tale or folk tale.

I mean it gets the point across. Story telling is IMPERATIVE to the human experience, just like music, because story telling transmits culture, history, morality, and point of view. Sometimes hyperbole is what is needed to hold people's attention, so they really get the point.

Think of movies like Big Fish and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button...or Forrest Gump, even. I love movies like that because they hearken back to traditional folk story telling, it's not entirely unlike Jack and the Beanstalk or David and Goliath.
I meant impossible to embellish. I was trying to be all meta and ironic and lost it with a typo. :p

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Actually though I do what you are saying about using hyperbole to tell a story just to make it more awesome. Who cares about details when I can spice it up for dramatic effect?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually I'm more between the Phlegmatic Sanguine and Sanguine, because I'm not quite that low energy always. I'm much more driven and fiercely independent sometimes than that. I think I was going through a period of burn-out from school/depression when I picked that, though I can see sides of myself in both.

All "Phlegmatic" in that blend means is that the expressive behavior is moderate, or as we would call it, "ambiverted". I/A/E is driven by energy that either pushes us towards people (extroversion) or away from them (introversion). Keep in mind, that in this case, what I'm calling "introversion" and "extroversion" are really what Keirsey calls cooperative and pragmatic. MBTI I/E is Inclusion (Interaction Style); this is Control we're talking about.

So to be in the middle, and express as a Phlegmatic, you don't have the energy pushing you towards or away from people in the area of Control (leadership and responsibilities). You can go either way, expressing leadership, or shying away from it.
So compared to the pure Sanguine or Supine, there will be a bit less energy. You even mention "burn-out". That might be from the lower energy. So you will go back and forth in "drivenness".

However, in the Responsive (wanted) area, you "respond as a Sanguine", meaning you're fully energized to want interaction from people. In the area of Control, this would correspond to Berens' Motive-focus: "focus on motives of why people do what they do, in order to work with them". So there will be energy from that, even if there is lower energy in the expressive dimension.
Yeah I probably am. Phleg-Sang is just me when I'm tired/burnt out/depressed and I just totally shut down and am like "fuck no."

Even on here I seem pretty Sanguine, I get involved in all kinds of things which are unnecessary, there's nothing low energy about my posting style. Lulz.
Well, remember, there is also the Interaction Style, where you fall purely on the Sanguine side (Get Things Going, which is both ESFP and ENFP). That alone makes you on the surface a very Sanguine person. (You did say Phlegmatic-Sanguine in Inclusion as well, but if you're no longer having I/E uncertainty, and are sure of E, then you're likely just pure Sanguine in Inclusion http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Inclusion/sanguine-inclusion.htm. Or, it could be the same thing as Control; going back and forth between expressiveness and burning out).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually though I do what you are saying about using hyperbole to tell a story just to make it more awesome. Who cares about details when I can spice it up for dramatic effect?

Yes, and we should embrace our drama as a strength. Drama makes performers, story tellers, entertainers of all kinds. Drama digs down to the root of feeling in human experiences and heightens it in order to both educate and entertain.

I totally relate to Beebe's model of Auxillary Fi teaching others through personal experience, good lord, don't I ever.

It's just that both ENFPs and ESFPs do this. :marionette:

According to Keirsey the need to entertain is more ESFP and the need to "develop others" is more ENFP.

I feel kind of strangulated by Keirsey for that reason. I'm just not as NF as he makes his NFs out to be...they're so freaking into working in human resources and "people are innately good" and all that jazz. I do not belong in human resources, nor do I belong in counseling, and I have not believed that people were "innately good" for many years. I don't necessarily believe they are "innately bad" either. I believe they are innately human.

He makes the four temperaments too extreme.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, and we should embrace our drama as a strength. Drama makes performers, story tellers, entertainers of all kinds. Drama digs down to the root of feeling in human experiences and heightens it in order to both educate and entertain.

I totally relate to Beebe's model of Auxillary Fi teaching others through personal experience, good lord, don't I ever.

It's just that both ENFPs and ESFPs do this. :marionette:

According to Keirsey the need to entertain is more ESFP and the need to "develop others" is more ENFP.

I feel kind of strangulated by Keirsey for that reason. I'm just not as NF as he makes his NFs out to be...they're so freaking into working in human resources and "people are innately good" and all that jazz. I do not belong in human resources, nor do I belong in counseling, and I have not believed that people were "innately good" for many years. I don't necessarily believe they are "innately bad" either. I believe they are innately human.

:yes: I really don't think that exfp's are all that different at the end of the day. It doesn't make sense that there would be this imaginary "line" that you cross that makes our behaviors appear quite the same but our thoughts to be completely different. It's easy to find examples that tell you otherwise, but even easier to find people who are just whatever they are, untypable, There's supposed N and there's supposed S, and there's seeing connections and being humanistic and sensitive, and there's being entertaining and fun and present-moment oriented, and I don't see why it would be impossible for all of these traits to exist in the same human. We see it all the time. We can slice it any way we want to make it look nicely labeled, like we've got people all figured out, but at the end of the day, we're just not there yet.

(oh God, I'm starting to feel like one of those talking heads again. "Yes, You've hit the nail on the head. I also have to elaborate here, Marm that- blahblabhblahblahblahblahblah.)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yeah, Keirsey probably pushed those "ideal careers/beliefs" concepts too far. That's the point. Those are hypothetical ideals. In real life, things may come out different.

It would probably be better for you then to look at other NF profiles not by Keirsey. You know you're an F; the deciding factor would be S or N, of course. It's better to go by that than to rely on Keirsey's ideal models. Like in the MBTI manual, it mentions enthusiasm, insight and warmth, without going into those narrow details

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, Keirsey probably pushed those "ideal careers/beliefs" concepts too far. That's the point. Those are hypothetical ideals. In real life, things may come out different.

It would probably be better for you then to look at other NF profiles not by Keirsey. You know you're an F; the deciding factor would be S or N, of course. It's better to go by that than to rely on Keirsey's ideal models. Like in the MBTI manual, it mentions enthusiasm, insight and warmth, without going into those narrow details

Or we can just call them all "sanguine" :)
This is one system that doesn't seem to be completely weird to try to apply.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NF isn't Sanguine. SP, or ESF/ENP is.
But yes, I like expressing types as blends of the four or five temperaments, and specifying the two areas (Inclusion/Control) explains in which way you're one temperament or another.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
oh and @ Jim ...I lied.

I also have been thinking of taking a break from the forum for a while, it wasn't just because of what you said. I probably will here soon.

This one has brain frazzle and requires at least 2 weeks of intense kittening and soup.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NF isn't Sanguine. SP, or ESF/ENP is.
But yes, I like expressing types as blends of the four or five temperaments, and specifying the two areas (Inclusion/Control) explains in which way you're one temperament or another.

Well, yea. Exactly. ( I was thinking of ExFP's, not NF's in general.)

As a side note, I picture a strong INFJ to be a pure mel. I haven't studied these connections though. Do you agree?

A

Anew Leaf

Well, yea. Exactly. ( I was thinking of ExFP's, not NF's in general.)

As a side note, I picture a strong INFJ to be a pure mel. I haven't studied these connections though. Do you agree?

The difference between the two is that an ENFP will encourage me to be my true self, whereas the ESFP will encourage me to have some cake. (Cake is delicious!)

So SnS, I have YOU to THANK for my new transformation. I feel so liberated and at peace. Thank you.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
(oh God, I'm starting to feel like one of those talking heads again. "Yes, You've hit the nail on the head. I also have to elaborate here, Marm that- blahblabhblahblahblahblahblah.)

We're on an episode of The View. Aren't you excited? We get to meet Whoopi Goldburg.

And that other annoying lady.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The difference between the two is that an ENFP will encourage me to be my true self, whereas the ESFP will encourage me to have some cake. (Cake is delicious!)

So SnS, I have YOU to THANK for my new transformation. I feel so liberated and at peace. Thank you.

What about someone who encourages you to eat cake while telling you to be yourself?

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I never learned what melancholy or sanguine or any of that stuff means... I just pick which one I am based on what kind of food the word reminds me of and whether or not I'm in the mood to eat it when I'm trying to follow the discussion.

Right now I could go for some cantaloupe...