• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What exactly differentiates ESFP from ENFP?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In the Katy Perry thread, there was a lot of talk about Se v. Ne, and how that manifests in EXFP (sort of). So I was wondering: how exactly do they differ?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's a thread about it somewhere, I'll dig it up if I get the chance later.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
ESFP sees what is in the external world alot, and sees where did things come from and where are they going(forming abstract big picture and possibilities that are inside) in internal world(how much depends how much Ni is developed).

ENFP sees where did things in external world come from and where are they going(forming more concrete big picture view about external things and seeing more possibilities) alot, and sees what is in the inside(depends how much Si is developed).

also ENFP has Fi supporting Ne(possibilities, big picture view of external world, seeing patterns etc) and ESFP has Fi supporting Se(factual things that can be perceived through senses and detailed view of external world)

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFPs interrupt me and finish my explanations themselves, while ESFPs just nod and pretend they understood. Just offering a perspective. :gleam:

A

A window to the soul

ENFP
enfp.gif

-Focuses on the future possibilities.
-Big picture oriented.
-Seeks to experiment.
-Puts an interpretation on the facts (or reads between the lines).

ESFP
esfp.gif

-Focuses on the here and now.
-Detail oriented.
-Seeks to experience the world 'as is'.
-Prefers facts without putting an interpretation on them.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I have found that many ENFPs using lying and hyperbole to look important, smarter, better, etc (men and women). The ESFPs I know use lying and hyperbole to tell stories and make people laugh, but don't give a shit if others think them stupid (men).

A

A window to the soul

I have found that many ENFPs using lying and hyperbole to look important, smarter, better, etc (men and women). The ESFPs I know use lying and hyperbole to tell stories and make people laugh, but don't give a shit if others think them stupid (men).

Lovely. Do you have a positive example you would like to share with us on this fine Sunday?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Looking at it from a temperament angle, they both have ths same Interaction Style, and hence, appear very similar on a surface social level. (Hence, why a question of what the difference was would arise in the first place. I even wondered this, the first time I began looking at type profiles, and was not yet familiar with the S/N concept, but could only see they were both very "Sanguine").

The difference in temperament will be cooperative/pragmatic. The ESFP is pragmatic, and quicker to do what works, while the ENFP will be more about what's "right".
The ESFP is more of a pure Sanguine, while the ENFP is a SanPhleg or SanSup (which will be a bit less "action"-oriented).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

My ESFP mother uses lying and hyperbole to tell stories, and so do I.

My mother also gets very angry and hurt if people treat her like she is stupid, and she is even more assuredly ESFP than I might be, as she is strongly inclined toward tangibles and dismisses a lot of theory unless it pertains to her life experience.

I don't think your method is effective.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
It isn't a method, simply an observation; I most assuredly wouldn't use it to determine whether someone was ENFP or ESFP.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm horrible about noticing details...like dates, times, what someone had on, what day it is, rather or not i work the next day haha
is that a way to tell also?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
i'm horrible about noticing details...like dates, times, what someone had on, what day it is, rather or not i work the next day haha
is that a way to tell also?

ESFPs aren't great with this stuff either.
S doesn't exactly mean details.

I have been hanging with an ESTP dude all week. He reminds me much of my ENTP friend- both are loud, funny, and the center of attention. The difference between him and my ENTP buddy is that his perceptions are very much in the 'here and now', which is what defines Se....it's like he's fully engrossed, involved in that present moment, if it's a song on a radio or the person directly in front of him. I can usually get an idea of where his thoughts are stemming from.

The ENTP, on the other hand, isn't so straightforward with the connections. Sometimes it will take a minute before I 'see' what sparked whatever experience he's relating.

Both are extreme Es and drain the crap out of me.

Ne. It's what's for dinner.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
oh and you can see the difference in their eyes. Se types have sharper focus sometimes looking bit like some hawk looking at its pray. focus of Ne types on the other hand is wandering around more and pretty much only stops when they go inside their head using Fi or start using Te.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
a lot. ENFPs and ESFPs are very different
1) ENFPs are the most introverted of the extroverts (sometimes more introverted than actual introverts). ESFPs are the most extroverted of all the types
2) ENFPs are intellectual and hypothetical, ESFPs are literal
3) ENFPs are fantasy prone, ESFPs are among the most grounded types
4) ESFPs are competitive, ENFPs aren't competitive at all
5) ENFPs are frequently mistaken for ENTJs, INFPs, INTJs, ENTPs, ESFPs, ISFPs and even ESTJs. ESFPs are usually pretty easy to spot, except for occasionally looking like an ESTP or ESFJ.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Uh I think ENFPs being the most introverted is a fallacy, I say ENTJ! Te doesn't really see the need to socialize unless it fits the agenda, to which they use Se for that.

Unless of course the ENTJ is on an Se binge, then they'll be loud ESFPs :p

Let's see. IMO ESFP/ENFP aren't really different because Se/Ne are very similar in the sense they they are very random and are generally reactive to outside stimuli. However Se makes a reaction based on what's happening now (random) while Ne makes a reaction based on connections that are received from the outside stimuli (random also).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah going by Elfboy's list I'd be both...borderline E/I so ENFP by his estimation, basically I'll be quiet or keep to myself and then just explode in words, extremely talkative, talking fast, occasionally interrupting people...like literally see-sawing E/I...because I do have to have a lot of time to myself.

But I'm also pretty damn competitive, even when it's to my detriment, like he says only ESFPs are.

Tofu562

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have an ESFP friend, I have to agree that we are both pretty random. We are huge dorks together... though she denies that.

She is also pretty damn competitive, I think that seems to be a key difference between ENFPs and ESFPs. She hates it when I beat her at something. And I get a kick out of rubbing it in =P

Also she has dumped beer on a guy's head before. I couldn't see an ENFP doing this except under pretty extreme circumstances, lol.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
In the Katy Perry thread, there was a lot of talk about Se v. Ne, and how that manifests in EXFP (sort of). So I was wondering: how exactly do they differ?

What sets them apart?
The position of the ego.
The ego is either a subject or an object.
It is not both.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Uh I think ENFPs being the most introverted is a fallacy, I say ENTJ! Te doesn't really see the need to socialize unless it fits the agenda, to which they use Se for that.
Unless of course the ENTJ is on an Se binge, then they'll be loud ESFPs :p

Let's see. IMO ESFP/ENFP aren't really different because Se/Ne are very similar in the sense they they are very random and are generally reactive to outside stimuli. However Se makes a reaction based on what's happening now (random) while Ne makes a reaction based on connections that are received from the outside stimuli (random also).

1) ENFPs are dominant intuition, being N dom and an extrovert is somewhat of an oxymoron as intuition, even Ne, is an inevitably introspective function. when you combine that with the reflective, withdrawn function that is Fi, you get a pretty introverted extrovert.
2) Ne and Se are not as similar as you think. explain MBTI to any ENFP who plays sports and they will probably say something along the lines of "oh! that's why I'm so clumbsy and terrible with details" among other things
3) Te is about directing the outside world, depending on the situation, it is often extremely extroverted, just more poised than say Fe.
4) Ne deals with hypothetical connections, scenarios, ideas and metaphors. none of these things are tangible or present in the outside world
5) several ENFPs on this forum test regularly as introverts but don't realize they're ENFP until they study function theory. for most types, if you're stuck on if you're E or I, you're probably I. for NFPs, if you're stuck between E and I, you are vastly more likely to be ENFP.
6) I am an ENFP and I need several hours a day to myself to recharge. several ENFPs I've talked to say this is the same for them. a few other types of extroverts will say this on occassion, but only ENFPs say this consistantly
7) ENFPs' extroversion is over estimated because they're trait extroversion (big 5 extroversion) is usually extremely high.