• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do people think of ISFPs?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't think life experience, interests in "creepy" things, personality disorders, bad childhoods, or sadistic/masochistic tendencies have anything to do with personality type.

Some ISFPs seem innocent, but others are sitting in their parents' basement with their girlfriend cutting themselves. I mean, Salvidor Dali was an ISFP, don't you consider him a bit twisted?

If there's anyone I stereotype as being so sweet that butter couldn't melt in their mouth I actually think of INFx first, not ISFPs. ISFPs I think of as being more realistic. But of course they aren't always...they have tertiary Ni.

Sensors don't lack an inner world or the ability to like strange or dark things.

I had these kinds of thoughts when I first started looking at personality theory, except I specifically had them about SJs. I thought all the boring, bland people were SJs and that no one interesting or artistic or cool could be SJ...so isn't it funny that as it turns out, my ESFJ ex is actually uber-SJ, I can't see him as anything but ESFJ in function theory, plus he tests as ESFJ in the four dichotomies. But at first I thought he must be ESFP because of his obsession with horror movies and punk music.

Similar for my ISFJ friend. I thought he was ISFP at first, and he had to convince me otherwise.

Stereotypes don't really work for personality types, it's a terrible way to type people, and I guess we all have to learn it.

You said this in a much nicer way than I would have. Kudos to you.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Maybe I just haven't run into 'twisted' S people :shock:

Maybe you're misguidedly typing people that you think are "dark and twisted" exclusively as N? Why is that even a thing?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I started thinking, because of this thread, this is why some people think they have so many Ns in their family, or have dated all Ns.

Mystery solved. It's all some variation of this.

I'm always staggered by people who claim they've never met a male ISFJ (the most common type, so come on...really?), or they've never been close to an SJ, or met an ISFP IRL...is it because these people believe everyone that they like or have things in common with are Ns?

Lulz.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I started thinking, because of this thread, this is why some people think they have so many Ns in their family, or have dated all Ns.

Mystery solved. It's all some variation of this.

I'm always staggered by people who claim they've never met a male ISFJ (the most common type, so come on...really?), or they've never been close to an SJ, or met an ISFP IRL...is it because these people believe everyone that they like or have things in common with are Ns?

Lulz.

+1000000

Really, though, if someone says that Ns are more likely than Ss to be "dark and twisted," they can either mean that Ns are more likely to be serial killers/psychopaths/have psychological disorders, or that Ns are more likely to be "deep" in some lame wannabe Sylvia Plath kind of way. If the first, that's just silly. If the second, that's (1) embarrassing and (2) a really lame manifestation of N elitism.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
+1000000

Really, though, if someone says that Ns are more likely than Ss to be "dark and twisted," they can either mean that Ns are more likely to be serial killers/psychopaths/have psychological disorders, or that Ns are more likely to be "deep" in some lame wannabe Sylvia Plath kind of way. If the first, that's just silly. If the second, that's (1) embarrassing and (2) a really lame manifestation of N elitism.

The reason why that's so funny is that some people think Sylvia Plath may have been ISFJ. I'm pretty sure murder mystery queen Agatha Christie was, for shizzle.

They're pretty "dark and twisted."

Some people do believe that Ns are "crazy" or that NFs came from bad homes or that people develop N to escape a terrible upbringing.

I mean really. Really?

I converse with some NFs on this forum who make me look like the devil incarnate, like I swear they all dance around with fairy princesses and watch Disney movies and some even have issues being in their bodies to have sex. That's sounds about as far from "dark and twisted" as it gets. If anything, they seem to be more likely to think everything is better or nicer than it is.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Marmie and Orangey: I just want to clarify that the original statement was meant as a compliment. I have to admit I don't know a lot of SPs but they are some of the nicest people I know. On the other hand, I've met loads of really unhealthy NFs, NTs and SJs. So, if you ask my opinion on SPs, or more specifically on ISFPs, I'll be inclined to say that they are the least 'dark' group of people. But that's just my impression of them. I'm not saying it's true of all SPs. I'm not claiming that they lack the inner world or ability to like strange and dark things. No, not at all. If there's one thing I hate on the forum, it's the attitude that certain functions are 'better' than others.

I remember reading one INFJ's impression of INFPs long time ago. She used the words "lightness of spirit" to describe INFPs -- something that made her realize she was after all a J because she lacked this same lightness. You can argue how INFPs are not "light" and go on about how they can be dark and moody, but I felt that was valuable insight. "Lightness" or no, she perceived something. I think the OP was trying to gain the same kind of insight and by asking how ISFPs are perceived by people.

If I asked people what they thought of NFs, I'd like to hear their honest impressions -- stereotypes and all, so bring on the bunnies and rainbows :laugh:

BTW -- didn't know Dali was ISFP. Yes, I call that twisted.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
The reason why that's so funny is that some people think Sylvia Plath may have been ISFJ. I'm pretty sure murder mystery queen Agatha Christie was, for shizzle.

I think they're typed as Ns because they're usually considered E-type 4 and 5, respectively, which are pretty rare among ISFJs, or so I hear.

I'm okay with ISFPs, as long as they don't drag me into a loopy scheme or act like Olivia Newton-John's character in Xanadu. :laugh:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree with much of what has been said but I must add my favourite ISFP qualities. I love the way they look with such a penetrating insight to the very essence of things. They see beauty and value in things others miss and are natural optimists. They never lose their sense of child-like wonder and therefore can seem purer in nature than most. They have a sponge like quality, absorbing the world around them, and are connoisseurs of life.

I also see them as people who struggle under the weight of the world. Their deeply empathic nature means they can't help but absorb any negativity around them, which can be completely overwhelming for them. And I imagine that if they let give in to that negativity, they could easily end up in dark and twisted territory

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think they're typed as Ns because they're usually considered E-type 4 and 5, respectively, which are pretty rare among ISFJs, or so I hear.

Agatha Christie is absolutely an Si dom. She couldn't possibly be anything but Si/Fe IMO, and I've read many many many of her novels.

I'm more on the fence about Sylvia Plath, plus she was mentally ill so you can't type her INFJ or INFP just because she was mentally ill, that's totally dumb.

or act like Olivia Newton-John's character in Xanadu. :laugh:

Y u hatin' on Xanadu, bro? :wink:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
BTW -- didn't know Dali was ISFP. Yes, I call that twisted.

Yeah so was Sid Vicious, I don't know if you missed that I was pointing out he was ISFP.

I've seen very healthy, balanced NFs and SJs and blah blah blah, I don't think SPs are "less fucked up" by any stretch of the imagination, that just seems ridiculous to me, but no more ridiculous than my original assumption back in the day that all the bland, boring people were SJ, lol.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Agatha Christie is absolutely an Si dom. She couldn't possibly be anything but Si/Fe IMO, and I've read many many many of her novels.

I'm more on the fence about Sylvia Plath, plus she was mentally ill so you can't type her INFJ or INFP just because she was mentally ill, that's totally dumb.

I was just pointing out the possible reasoning behind typing her as INFJ - there are quite a few INFJ 5w4s on this site, but I've yet to see an ISFJ 5w4. Then again, maybe Dame Agatha was a different E-Type? :thinking:

Y u hatin' on Xanadu, bro? :wink:

I was just pointing out the character liked playing with people's heads waaay too much for my taste... Plus, she totally dissed Gene Kelly. When you are the star of a Stanley Donen movie, maybe you can act snobby, lady. :nono:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was just pointing out the possible reasoning behind typing her as INFJ - there are quite a few INFJ 5w4s on this site, but I've yet to see an ISFJ 5w4. Then again, maybe Dame Agatha was a different E-Type? :thinking:

I see a great deal of Si/Ti in her writing style, in the systematic way she created stories. She was endlessly and prolifically full of books which followed a pattern, which strongly suggests to me Si/Ne. Her morality, as well, seems cleanly driven by Si/Fe. She was just very, very intelligent, that's all.

N =/= smrt

I was just pointing out the character liked playing with people's heads waaay too much for my taste... Plus, she totally dissed Gene Kelly. When you are the star of a Stanley Donen movie, maybe you can act snobby, lady. :nono:

lol k

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
When did I say that? :huh: Also, 5 =/= smart, either. Just intellectual.

5 is intellectual but I don't believe Agatha Christie was "intellectual" in any abstract sense, her books were very detail oriented and spoke of her close, penetrating observations of the human beings around her. It seems as though her books were built around her watching people that she knew and experiences she had, and her mysteries were solved through more SJ-like observational means. Miss Marple solved crimes by saying "this reminds me of somebody I knew when..." and Poirot solved crimes by visibly or audibly noticing things that other people did not. The books always ended with a pretty bow tied up at the end, authority dominating "evil" and life going back to normal. This is why I say her books are systematic, they aren't like P.D. James' mystery novels which are in-depth sociological studies of the human condition, P.D. James is probably an NF or NT.

Agatha Christie mysteries are more like Si/Ti carefully structured puzzles; Fe studies of people, morality and human nature; with the occasional Ne "what if..." element thrown in, which is how I think she came up with all the different scenarios.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
5 is intellectual but I don't believe Agatha Christie was "intellectual" in any abstract sense, her books were very detail oriented and spoke of her close, penetrating observations of the human beings around her. It seems as though her books were built around her watching people that she knew and experiences she had, and her mysteries were solved through more SJ-like observational means. Miss Marple solved crimes by saying "this reminds me of somebody I knew when..." and Poirot solved crimes by visibly or audibly noticing things that other people did not. The books always ended with a pretty bow tied up at the end, authority dominating "evil" and life going back to normal. This is why I say her books are systematic, they aren't like P.D. James' mystery novels which are in-depth sociological studies of the human condition, P.D. James is probably an NF or NT.

Agatha Christie mysteries are more like Si/Ti carefully structured puzzles; Fe studies of people, morality and human nature; with the occasional Ne "what if..." element thrown in, which is how I think she came up with all the different scenarios.

I understand your reasoning... I just meant I didn't mean to imply she was N because she was smart, nor have I said so in this thread.

Also, I take it you believe her to be another Enneatype?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I understand your reasoning... I just meant I didn't mean to imply she was N because she was smart, nor have I said so in this thread.

Also, I take it you believe her to be another Enneatype?

I'm not as into enneagram as some people are, so I don't have a strong opinion, and I don't think people's opinions of her enneagram make her any less of an Si dom.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm not as into enneagram as some people are, so I don't have a strong opinion, and I don't think people's opinions of her enneagram make her any less of an Si dom.

Fair enough. :) But I do stand by my claim that I did not say anywhere that Ns were smarter. All I said is that ISFJs are less likely to be 5w4s than INFJs.

Thread derailment concluded, sorry about that. :blush:

Meek

MBTI Type
Infp
Enneagram
4w5
Basing this on my dad since he is one, I think Isfps are very kind mostly. It's difficult to talk with them about certain subjects at times unless it really interests them. When I talk about my problems with my dad, I can't get through to him unless I talk about it in a very simplistic manner. Not calling him stupid but I just don't think he gets me. He usually points out shallow things about women on the tv. Like sarah jessica parker. He blurted out that she was the ugliest woman he had ever seen, and I actually became offended but I kept it inside, because he's my dad. I was so tempted, though. I hate hearing anyone call another person ugly.

I did like finding random poems scattered everywhere through out his house, written on random things like ripped pieces of envelope, note paper, or napkins. Also liked the random weird drawings like the bearded hippie face, or the weird creatures.

I like that my dad is a carpenter. He really helped me to be more creative with my art, although I'm not that good anyway. It still helped. Lol. I love that my dad loves nature. Though, I never care too much about the names of certain birds or animals, I like observing them and day dreaming that everything around me is my own little world.

There was an Isfp whom I spoke with often online that really used to bug me. Her ideas rubbed against mine, and not in a smooth appealing way. It felt like sand paper and she really assumed so much of me that I had to stop talking to her all together.
I suppose I like some Isfps and others I don't. Really depends on the person.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah so was Sid Vicious, I don't know if you missed that I was pointing out he was ISFP.

I've seen very healthy, balanced NFs and SJs and blah blah blah, I don't think SPs are "less fucked up" by any stretch of the imagination, that just seems ridiculous to me, but no more ridiculous than my original assumption back in the day that all the bland, boring people were SJ, lol.

Can I you believe I had to google Sid Vicious? :blush:
(My friends laugh at me all the time about my lack of pop culture knowledge >_<)

I've been thinking about this and just thought of a better word for sensors. I think when I mentioned the "open" quality I was trying to describe the feeling that I have that sensors seem way more connected to the real world than I can ever hope to be. So to me they feel more substantial (in the literal sense), more tangible, more solid -- it seems this allows them to take their place in the universe with pride and confidence. My inferior Se is always in awe of this ability. In a way, that also makes Se-doms and Se-aux'es seem totally my opposite. Maybe that's why I tend to (perhaps wrongly) think they're not messed up (Me = messed up / Opposite of me = not messed up :laugh:)