• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fictional characters that perfectly display an MBTI type.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFP:

Frodo Baggins (Lord of the Rings)

Melody (Little Mermaid 2)

Komakino

Funny how in a thread about characters that perfectly display a given type, multiple threads of disagreement emerged after only a few posts. I suppose this is unavoidable to a degree when people of varying expertise attempt to pin down fictional characters' types, but I think there are clearer examples out there.

I'm not sure what the OP's intention was (or how healthy it is, considering his past posts), but A few shows spring to mind with quite distinct, simply drawn casts. Friends for example (Ross ISFJ, Rachel ESTP, Chandler ENTP, Phoebe ENFP, Joey ESFP, Monica ESFJ), and My Name Is Earl (Earl ISTP, Randy ISFP, Joy ESTJ, Darnell INFP).

But on the subject of disagreement, I'd say Sora lacks Ne more than many other fictional characters I've encountered; ESFP in my opinion. And I think Heath Ledger's Joker, if he can be typed, would be an ENFP.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see Jack Sparrow as much more a tactician than strategist. Promoter Artisan.

Jack Nicholson's Joker may be a Promoter Artisan, but I lean towards Fieldmarshal Rational. I see Nicholson's incarnation as much more of a methodical planner of complex operations than Heath Ledger's, whose interpretation I saw as a Crafter Artisan throughout most of the movie, at least. Of course, with that said, perhaps The Joker isn't one of those characters that perfectly displays a definite "type."

Tony Stark and Downey's interpretation of Sherlock Holmes I see as better expressions of a definite type: both Inventor Rationals.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Excellent !

Mr-Burns.gif

cloakofsnow

MBTI Type
INFx
From Harry Potter:
- Hermione Granger - ENTJ
- Luna Lovegood - INFx (dominant Ni but not a J)
- Hagrid - ISFP
- Albus Dumbledore - ENFP/ENTP (a dominant Ne type who became wise)
- Severus Snape (as portrayed by Alain Rickman) - INTP (dominant Ti)

From Pride & Prejudice:
- Jane Bennett (Pride & Prejudice) - ISFJ
- Elizabeth Bennett (Pride & Prejudice) - ENTP/ENFP
- Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride & Prejudice) - ISTJ
- Lady Catherine de Burgh (Pride & Prejudice) - ESTJ
- Charlotte Lucas - ISTP (dominant Ti)

From other books/comics/fiction:
- Anne of Green Gables - ENFP
- Sara Crewe (A Little Princess) - INFP
- Beauty (in the original tale "Beauty & the Beast") - ISFP
- the little mermaid (in the original tale "The Little Mermaid" by Hans Christian Andersen) - INFP
- Hagar (Hagar the Horrible) - ESxP
- Helga (Hagar the Horrible) - ESFJ
- Garfield - ISTP
- Calvin (Calvin & Hobbes) - ENTP

From movies:
- Helen Harris III (Bridesmaid [2011]) - ENFJ
- Sherlock Holmes (as played by Robert Downey Jr.) - ENTP
- The White Queen (in Alice in Wonderland) - xNFJ

This is just what I think at the moment. I might change my mind on at least a few of these.

Illmatic

So.....i wanna be a strategist.

Wellll help me out here a little. I'm almost out of school....

I wanna be a detective in the future as that stuff has always interested me...but i just don't wanna be just another cop i wanna be one of the best but work in the shadwos...ha. No point in being something if you can't be one of the best at it, i wanna be the best.

But i'm a little worried, i wanna be a good stragist that can plan shit out, read a criminals/enemies move, stay ahead.....kinda those equivelent to L from Death Note but in a more realistic way. Anyways i am worried that i just won't have the talent to be the best..all the strategist are INTJ's and i'm an ISFP....a complete opposite. I got my eyes set, this is what i want to do....but i don't wanna do anything and be half assed at it, i wanna be the best (or one of the best).

So. Are great strategist naturally born with talent or can it be nurtured to a point as skilled as a talented persons?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
To add to the confusion. I disagree with Hermione being INTJ. She's so by-the-book, smart because she's memorizing everything all the time... Nothing wrong with that, of course, but that's Si, not Ni. So I'd say ISTJ. She does have these original ideas and plans, yes, when she's stressed. Otherwise she'd prefer just knowing the right spell for the right situation.

A few examples which are more clear in my opinion. All from literature, I'm hopeless at movies.

Matilda from Matilda by Roald Dahl: INTJ (and everyone who says she's an INFP should read the book first. The movie Matilda is an INFP indeed, but the book one is definitely a J.)
Mr. Kranky from George's marvellous medicine by Roald Dahl: ENTP
Felix Lodd from The edge chronicles 5,6 and 7 by Paul Steward and Chris Riddell: ESFP (and a hero)
Omer Van Puyvelde from Weerberichten en andere gedichten by Gert Coone: ENTP (there has been a real Omer Van Puyvelde, too, but that one is just a boring composer. The fictional one is a composer-meteorologist, no less. And an ENTP. Everyone who can read Dutch should read this book!)

I'll come back if I think of more.

Edit: just to be clear. "Weerberichten en andere gedichten" is not a book of mine. I'm not Gert Coone. He's a friend of mine, though.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i also think hermione is an ISTJ. and harry, ISFP.

Illmatic said:
So.....i wanna be a strategist.
Wellll help me out here a little. I'm almost out of school....

I wanna be a detective in the future as that stuff has always interested me...but i just don't wanna be just another cop i wanna be one of the best but work in the shadwos...ha. No point in being something if you can't be one of the best at it, i wanna be the best.

But i'm a little worried, i wanna be a good stragist that can plan shit out, read a criminals/enemies move, stay ahead.....kinda those equivelent to L from Death Note but in a more realistic way. Anyways i am worried that i just won't have the talent to be the best..all the strategist are INTJ's and i'm an ISFP....a complete opposite. I got my eyes set, this is what i want to do....but i don't wanna do anything and be half assed at it, i wanna be the best (or one of the best).

So. Are great strategist naturally born with talent or can it be nurtured to a point as skilled as a talented persons?

if you're convinced that's what you want to do, you should do it, unless you know that you're totally terrible at it. your mbti type is really not going to determine how fit you are for a certain job. sure, it can point you in a certain direction - i wouldn't recommend sales management to most INFPs - but that's mainly because they're going to find themselves uninterested with it anyway. if you're interested in investigation, you understand the day-to-day tasks and requirements of the job, and you think you have enough competence to be at least average, then you should go for it regardless of what some dinky 4 letter code tells you. there's some saying, that's like life is 10% what you're given and 90% what you do with it. you've been "given" a type, essentially, but you get to decide how you use it. even if every other strategist out there is an INTJ, you're going to have a leg up in the sense that you have skills they don't. the mbti is a tool to help you understand yourself, not a ruler to box you in.

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
Lina Inverse (Slayers): ESTP
Ruri Hoshino (Mobilebattleship Nadesico): INTP
Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables): ENFP
Belldandy (AA Megamisama): INFJ

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Peggy and Kelly Bundy: ESFP (no doubt in My mind).

Can't decide on Bud, either ESTP or ENTP. Maybe even ENTJ. (Obviously not a perfect display.)

And Al, either ISTP or ISTJ.

And Hermione is a Rational. No doubt a knowledge seeking personality. Either ENTJ or INTJ. Didn't see her as much of a security seeker, which means she's not a Guardian. Idealist is a possibility for her, too.

Illmatic

if you're convinced that's what you want to do, you should do it, unless you know that you're totally terrible at it. your mbti type is really not going to determine how fit you are for a certain job. sure, it can point you in a certain direction - i wouldn't recommend sales management to most INFPs - but that's mainly because they're going to find themselves uninterested with it anyway. if you're interested in investigation, you understand the day-to-day tasks and requirements of the job, and you think you have enough competence to be at least average, then you should go for it regardless of what some dinky 4 letter code tells you. there's some saying, that's like life is 10% what you're given and 90% what you do with it. you've been "given" a type, essentially, but you get to decide how you use it. even if every other strategist out there is an INTJ, you're going to have a leg up in the sense that you have skills they don't. the mbti is a tool to help you understand yourself, not a ruler to box you in.

The thing with me is....dreams don't come true.

You need facts, whats the facts? ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR makes me so angry!!
DAMN, i will never be. Fuck this bullshit, i will never be it. Soooooo childisih. I'm 17, i should grow the fuck up.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Am I the only crazy who thinks Hermione is clearly an INFJ?

Oh, but Harry, he's a classic ISFP. No questions there to me.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ surprising for an INFJ to so quickly dismiss anything not factually-based, as hermione did with divination. given, divination was kind of a crock, but still. where do you see strong Ni in her?

And Hermione is a Rational. No doubt a knowledge seeking personality. Either ENTJ or INTJ. Didn't see her as much of a security seeker, which means she's not a Guardian. Idealist is a possibility for her, too.

i would argue that, regardless of keirsey stereotypes, most IxTxs are knowledge-seeking personalities.

i have two known ISTJ friends; both of them scientists. one is ISTJ 1w9, i believe, and a biochemist. she is clearly a knowledge-seeker - though she uses her skill and curiosity in biochemistry to work as an environmental researcher for the government. the other i suspect is ISTJ 6w5, and she is a marine biologist, still in school. both are bright, intellectual, curious. both have a seemingly insatiable appetite for knowledge. neither are very overtly security-seeking... it comes out more in their J tendencies than in their relationship with intellectualism.

hermione i see in very much the same light as my biochemist friend - ISTJ 1, eventually ending up working for the government to better the lives of the less fortunate. rowling notes that she has "encyclopaedic knowledge", and she spends vast amounts of time in the library studying. she's certainly brilliant, and 9 times out of 10 her brilliance is a result of her putting what she's learned into action - not observing one thing and using it to hop to something new, a la NT.

i also don't see much Ni or Se in her. seems to me more that she's excellent collector of information (Si), and then she rearranges that information in new ways (Ne) to come up with practical solutions (Te). rowling has described her as someone who "never strays off the path; she always keeps her attention focused on the job that must be done." while that second part applies to any TJ, the first part doesn't apply much to NTJs, who tend to blaze new paths. also the job that "must" be done - not the job she chooses to do. she has a strong ethical/moral sense - hermione is much more ethical and concerned with rules and restrictions than either of the boys. for her depth of knowledge, we don't see nearly as much rulebreaking coming from hermione as we do from harry and ron, either. whereas usually from NTs we see a gleeful delight in breaking rules skillfully, or simply a complete disregard for rules. rowling's also described that if hermione had looked into the mirror of erised, she'd have seen the trio "alive and unscathed, and Voldemort finished." sounds more SJ than NT to me.

plus, as the wiki notes, "Hermione did not tend to do as well in subjects that were not learned through books or formal training". harry and ron (ISFP and ESFP, imo) were much better learning on the fly and scraping their way through things via what appears to be dumb luck - or very good adaptation to circumstance, as Se tend to pull off. we would generally expect an N to do better at things that aren't learned through formal training than an SJ, because an N can rely on their sense of connection to intuit skill. perhaps hermione could be an NTP, then, but i find it hard to reconcile her very put-together self with P over J.

she was the first to figure out lupin was a werewolf, using little details she picked up... she was always on top of the little details. though lavender brown - an N - hopped on it way earlier, wondering about lupin's "crystal ball". typical Ne, and a deduction fail. i don't remember much about lavender but INFP wouldn't surprise me, for her.

and as another poster has pointed out:

raz said:
Hermoine was one-hundred percent fact, denounced any of Luna's fantasies, and aimed for the more logical conclusions in a situation. It was like she had an army of knowledge in her brain.

she's fact and truth, not connection and conjecture. quiet and self-assured (I), an encyclopedia of knowledge (Si), outspoken when she believes she's right (Te), and an organized planner (J).

ISTJ.

The thing with me is....dreams don't come true.

You need facts, whats the facts?

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR makes me so angry!!
DAMN, i will never be. Fuck this bullshit, i will never be it. Soooooo childisih. I'm 17, i should grow the fuck up.

you should stop being so hard on yourself. :hug:

what do you enjoy doing? i wonder if all of this interest towards T-like things on your part isn't Se wanting to spur you into action and excitement.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
^ It wasn't the Ni that made me think so that much, although there were bits and pieces of the book that I think Hermione revealed it in, but more the raging Fe. Her crusade for house-elves was not based on the Fi-ish assumption my Fi-dom friends might make, like "All creatures in this world, human or nonhuman deserve freedom and if we deprive them of it we are deplorable," but her reasoning went more along the lines of "To have harmony within the wizarding world we must promote welfare and end the suffering of elves". There were many other times that she proceeded on the basis of Fe harmony and empathy during personal relationships, which I think was a pretty stark contrast against Harry and Ron, who made heavy use of Fi.

Besides that, I did see the tert Ti that a lot of people seem to be taking as Te. The way she pulled apart the logic puzzle in the first book (Snape's puzzle, who incidentally, I believe was an INTP) did not ring of the style that Te users I know have.

Also, the fact that she took such a liking to Arithmancy points to the Ni most claim she is lacking in. Calculations based on the symbols in a name, also interrelated with the seven known planets, to make readings and predictions? Sounds like a Ni thing to me. I think that her main reason for her dislike of Divination was more a personal grudge against Trelawney, who in Hermione's defense, did admittedly come off as a pretty obvious fake.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Agreed. I would also consider Luna to be INFP; Ron ESFP; and Snape, Voldemort and Dumbledore all INTJ, though in very different ways. This has been debated many places, though, so none of these may be perfect type examples.

My own recommendation: Raistlin Majere from Dragonlance is a fairly classic INTJ.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Agreed. I would also consider Luna to be INFP; Ron ESFP; and Snape, Voldemort and Dumbledore all INTJ, though in very different ways. This has been debated many places, though, so none of these may be perfect type examples.

My own recommendation: Raistlin Majere from Dragonlance is a fairly classic INTJ.

Huh, this is a good group to try to type. I would have thought of Dumbledore as an xNFJ though.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

oh i totally agree on luna! i've seen her typed INTP, but i think INFP and enneagram 5w4 is more likely. ron ESFP - i'd say snape and voldy both INTJ (mayybe snape a particularly stodgy INTP) but dumbledore INFJ, with Ni much heavier than Fe.

[Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald] took to each other immediately, and together they dreamed of a world ruled by wizards over Muggles by uniting the legendary Deathly Hallows. They believed that if they were forced to destroy a few along the way, it would still be "for the greater good", and the sufferings and losses would be rewarded a hundredfold in the end. This scenario would never happen, though. A discussion between Albus, Aberforth, and Grindelwald led to a duel that resulted in Ariana's death. For the rest of his life, Albus felt guilty, never certain whether it was his own curse or another's that had killed his sister. Grindelwald stormed back to Bagshot's home and departed to begin his own rule, leaving the country hours later. As a result of his mistakes, Albus felt that he was not to be trusted with power and, because of this, never took the position of Minister for Magic, despite being offered it several times.

i dunno, something about the whole thing seems more INFJ to me. how dumbledore wants to have wizards rule over muggles so that the way his sister was attacked would never happen to anyone again. maybe it's how hidden he keeps his logic - more Ti than Te - while quietly influencing people to meet his unspoken plans... kinda Fe-ish...

grindelwald seems xNTP to me - harry thinks he has "a Fred and George-ish air of triumphant trickery about him" - and i think F&G are ENTPs - and the whole "for the greater good" slogan seems really messed-up Fe. and then that would make sense for an INFJ and xNTP to unite because they agreed on the right way to go about things, even if for very different reasons (whereas an NTJ and an NTP would probably have more disagreements on the how, even though not the why...)

conjecture conjecture :D