• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you know the type of your friends/family members?

gromit

likes this
Do you observe them and then assign them a type? Or do you make them take an online quiz? Or have they taken the official MBTI indicator through school or work? Are they interested in MBTI themselves?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
a little of the first three for me combined, although nobody is really all that interested in MBTI. My dad thinks he's introverted (INTJ) from long-ago testing but I'm convinced he's either ENTJ or ENTP. My mom agreed that INFP sounded right when I told her about it, although she does also have some isfp tendencies. My bf came out as isfp on the test (and picked that one as the best description), and even though he appears more istp in some ways I think isfp is accurate. My sisters are estimated types (by me) - one is quite similar to me and my bf and I'm pretty sure she's isfp. The others are less clear since I don't know them as well - INxx and ExFP of some sort, I think.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A couple of my friends are interested in the type theories. One being an easily confirmed ISTJ. (She would be a no brainer though, easy to tell before taking the test.) The other one is more into the sanguine/choleric/phlegmatic/mel type stuff. (I don't remember what the exact theory is called.) Some tested on facebook, I'm not sure how reliable that test is, though I myself tested properly. Some people I just type over time in my head as I get to know them better. Usually it takes a couple of years to arrive at a pretty solid conclusion, though. I had one ex boyfriend test in one of his classes a while ago. Suspected INTP, confirmed INTP.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One of my brothers took the quiz, came out as 3 or 7, ESFP... I can't remember which, but he's definitely a 3. My other brother is a counterphobic 6 ISTP, he took half an enneagram quiz and his type is obvious enough. My parents would look at me funny if I gave them a test :alttongue:, Dad is an ESTP 8, mum is an ENFJ 2.

They were tricky to type, but I honestly think the tests wouldn't have done a sufficient job, and they take away all of the fun of learning to type people.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Let's see. I've gotten 5 people to take the test who knew nothing about MBTI. I had typed them first myself and wanted to know if I was right. So I told them that I guessed their personality type based on what I know of them and that I wanted them to take the test to see if I was right. They obliged. I will say that the ones who did it without question ended up being iNtuitives. The ones who gave a little resistance (because they'd rather be doing something else) I had to tell them that the results would explain to them what jobs they'd be good at. Then they did it but afterwards didn't care about what type they were, just what jobs it said they'd be good at. These people tested as Sensors.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The other one is more into the sanguine/choleric/phlegmatic/mel type stuff. (I don't remember what the exact theory is called.)
Galen temperaments, ancient/classic temperaments, humours, etc.
Used by LaHaye, Littauer, oneishy, Eysenck, 4Marks, etc.

A version of this is what my wife tested several of our friends and family with (luckily for me, which got me interested in personality in the first place), and then I eventually learned about type, and how to translate one onto the other. The pure Melancholies are ISTJ (the person who introduced us to Keirsey tested as both), the Sanguine-Melancholies are ESFJ, a Phlegmatic-Melancholy fits ISFJ (a less stereotypical one though); and they fit the bill. This covers most of our friends and family. The two pure Sanguine girls would fit ESFP and a couple of people who seem to be Melancholy-Choleric would fit INTJ.

So from there; it's just a matter of following the patterns. Like the Cholerics seem ExTJ, and a second cousin who always seemed different from the rest of the family (at least to me), seems to fit INFJ, and her mother in law (my great aunt) seems to be ENFJ. (there's similar, but the aunt is a bit more of a family "host").

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Galen temperaments, ancient/classic temperaments, humours, etc.
Used by LaHaye, Littauer, oneishy, Eysenck, 4Marks, etc.

A version of this is what my wife tested several of our friends and family with (luckily for me, which got me interested in personality in the first place), and then I eventually learned about type, and how to translate one onto the other. The pure Melancholies are ISTJ (the person who introduced us to Keirsey tested as both), the Sanguine-Melancholies are ESFJ, a Phlegmatic-Melancholy fits ISFJ (a less stereotypical one though); and they fit the bill. This covers most of our friends and family. The two pure Sanguine girls would fit ESFP and a couple of people who seem to be Melancholy-Choleric would fit INTJ.

So from there; it's just a matter of following the patterns. Like the Cholerics seem ExTJ, and a second cousin who always seemed different from the rest of the family (at least to me), seems to fit INFJ, and her mother in law (my great aunt) seems to be ENFJ. (there's similar, but the aunt is a bit more of a family "host").

I don't care for the oneishy test much for some reason. Seems easy to "mess up" depending on mood. I can see the cholerics being TJ types. The ISTJ mentioned above is actually a phleg choleric.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i've gotten my mom and a handful of friends to take it, i guess for the rest. but i'm pretty confident in my typing abilities, i guessed right or one letter off for everyone who took the test.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Listen and observe to be able to do this one your going to have to actually spend time with them... Or you can just ask them to take the test, that one takes three steps
Step 1: Walk up to them
Step 2: Hand them the Electronic with the free test
Step 3: They do the test
P.S They might ask you why, be ready with an answer outside of I want to understand how your brain works, they will most likely get creep-ed out by that (It's weird)
I go with the observing method

badger055

Permabanned
I took guesses at what they were and had them read descriptions to see if it was accurate. I find it harder to type people close to you though.

ameeker

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
First, I ask them for their type to see if they know and remember.

If they don't know what I'm talking about, I make an estimated guess. If I have narrowed it down to one type then I'll ask them if the description is accurate. If I am debating between two, then I'll give them the free online test.

If they do know what I'm talking about, I ask them enough questions to narrow it down to one type.

Alea_iacta_est

P.S They might ask you why, be ready with an answer outside of I want to understand how your brain works, they will most likely get creep-ed out by that (It's weird)

"Should you ever turn against me I just want to know how your mind works so I can deliver dulcet vengeance."

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The majority isn't able to tell that is an ironic statement but that's what makes it funny

Triforce

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have a lose definition of most of them.... but not my mom. shees straight out crazy cat..

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I took exactly 16 crisps that were also exactly 16 different flavours, put them in one packet and then handed them out.

Violetta

MBTI Type
INFJ
They're quintessential types - husband and son constantly inventing (ENTP), Mum and confidante intuitive to the point of psychic (INFJ), oldest friend constantly feeling guilty about not helping people enough (ENFJ).

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never had anyone do the test, I just observe them and get to know them and their behavior. I actually have the most trouble deciding between I/E and occasionally J/P. As a general rule I can quickly determine if they're an ST, NF, NT, or SF.

For some people I read descriptions of traits for different types and they clicked.

Some confusions that I've heard were:

I know two ENFx's and I have the hardest time telling whether they're ENFJ or ENFP. One has ADD and the other is extremely busy and lives an ambitious lifestyle, so at times they both seem like perceivers, but the ENFJ description matches them.

I have a guy friend who comes off as IxTP, but recently he's seemed a lot more extroverted.

I truly believe my mom is an ISFJ, but struggled with depression for the longest time so she acted more like the negative side of a thinker - cold, biting, and unforgiving.

So, yeah, that being said, it's not always easy. But you'll figure it out eventually ;)