• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Quiet Extroverts

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Extroverts that are quiet/not very talkative... does such a thing exist?

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Yes but they are a disgrace to extroversions. We must send our ESTP bullies and ExTJs evil dudes to get ride of them the soonest we can.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't talk much in crowds or in noisy situations, because both make me rather uncomfortable and I'm signifigantly more occupied with mentally planning my escape... however, I'll chat anyone's ear off otherwise :laugh:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think i'm kind of a quiet extrovert yep

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i think i'm kind of a quiet extrovert yep

Somehow I guessed that about you.
I've imagined that you are less talkative irl than your posts seem to indicate.

rav3n

Another relatively quiet extrovert. When I'm with my extroverted friends, more often they carry the conversation, where I inject my two bits when it feels right or necessary to keep the convo going or to stir the pot a bit by teasing. My normal voice is closer to soft spoken than loud but it is fairly firm. I'm also comfortable sitting in silence with partners and friends.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
ENFPs that aren't Sevens seem to be some of the quietest extroverts, or so I hear.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course they exist. I am one of them. I attribute this to being "other-oriented" and want of emotional terms with a person or a topic. However, that tendency and urge to investigate someone's psyche and share some anecdote is nothing short of insistent.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Another relatively quiet extrovert. When I'm with my extroverted friends, more often they carry the conversation, where I inject my two bits when it feels right or necessary to keep the convo going or to stir the pot a bit by teasing. My normal voice is closer to soft spoken than loud but it is fairly firm. I'm also comfortable sitting in silence with partners and friends.

^All of that, except that I am very quiet and untalkative, but do have the thing about being uncomfortable with silence, especially when other people are around. If the other people start the conversation I'll just go along with it and interject only when something strikes my fancy, but when everyone is quiet, I'm usually the one wanting to start things back up :laugh: I am still rather in between...

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An 8w9 5w4 4w5 sp/sx ENTJ would be quiet, I would imagine.

A

A window to the soul

Extroverts that are quiet/not very talkative... does such a thing exist?

Depends on a lot of things for me: interest, focus, stress, familiarity...

So, some might describe me as quiet at first glance because I'm least talkative when I'm out & about by myself and someone I don't know suddenly approaches me while I'm focused on something else. Or when I'm focused at work and someone suddenly approaches with personal small talk. Those times are deceiving because overall, I'm talkative and I have a strong desire for quality interactions with people. I really have no fears of speaking about what's on my mind.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Quiet extroverts exist because there are many different ways to interact with your environment without people being in the vicinity.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i'm usually very, very talkative. and energetic.
but when i do get quiet it's usually because my
mind is just consumed by something else...

my quiet is perceived 'louder' than anything i
can say outloud. it's very bizzare.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

^ Yeah... People get nervous when I am quiet. They automatically think I am depressed.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My sister's a pretty quiet extrovert. Some people think she's even quieter than I am. :laugh:

But both of us are certain she's an extrovert.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Quiet extroverts exist because there are many different ways to interact with your environment without people being in the vicinity.

:yes:

hi my name is skylights and i'm socially ambiverted. :blush:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When asked to do johari/nohari windows for me some of the words family members, who know me best, chose were: introverted, quiet, reflective, withdrawn and distant. So yes.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
That depends on what you mean.

You will find extraverts that are not talkative in *some* situations, but it's extremely rare to find an extravert which is consistently non-talkative.

In any case, the factors which are a tell-tale between I and E are two:
- initiative (on average Es take more initiative with people / activities than Is)
- energy expenditure (again Es expend more energy than Is, even uselessly so)

As far as me: I can be very quiet when I don't really love the company, but my natural tone of voice is extremely loud.