• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cognitive functions and problem solving

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Using the Beebe 8 function model, I've thought of the following characterizations for each function archetype when it comes to engaging a problem:

Your four surface functions serve to solve problems directly. Each serves a different role.

Dominant: function of solution. Any solution a person discovers to a problem will ultimately derive from his or her dominant function. So,

Se - solution derives from instantaneous reaction to the environment
Si - solution derives from recognition of proper framework of reference
Ne - solution derives from discovering hidden implications of problem's parameters
Ni - solution derives from perceiving the problem in an entirely different way
Fe - solution derives from promotion of social stability
Fi - solution derives from what rings true about the problem
Te - solution derives from application of an analytical and organizational rubric
Ti - solution derives from what must logically follow from the problem

Auxiliary: function of suggestion. Provides helpful hints and grounding to the dominant function when unable to solve the problem alone. So,

Se - suggests a concentration on the details of the environment
Si - suggests what frameworks are proper to address the problem with
Ne - suggests focusing on potential hidden implications of the problem
Ni - suggests looking at the problem in an entirely different way
Fe - suggests social rules and factors that weigh on the solution to the problem
Fi - suggests moral and ethical concerns that factor into the solution
Te - suggests an organized method of considering an array of solutions
Ti - suggests desirable outcomes for a particular solution

Tertiary: function of assistance. How we best get help at solving problems when the dominant and auxiliary cannot do it alone. So,

Se - seeks assistance through whatever means are expedient
Si - seeks assistance through adopting established frameworks for understanding
Ne - seeks assistance through noticing the mysterious
Ni - seeks assistance through casting aside what is immediately apparent
Fe - seeks assistance through interacting with others
Fi - seeks assistance through adherence to one's morals and ethics
Te - seeks assistance through applying external organization
Ti - seeks assistance through understanding logical causation

Inferior: function of last resort. When all else has failed, what we do in order to stay somewhat afloat. Since it's rejected, it doesn't generally work that well, leading to harmful masking behaviors covered in the shadow functions. So,

Se - last resort of doing something, anything, without thinking
Si - last resort of grudgingly following exact procedure
Ne - last resort of making wild suggestions
Ni - last resort of relying on superstitious belief
Fe - last resort of pleading to others for help
Fi - last resort of unwavering loyalty
Te - last resort of physical force
Ti - last resort of technicalities and quibbling over definitions

The shadow functions arise when you can no longer be part of the solution, and believe you must engage in "creative destruction." Instead of use in a problem solving capacity, they're used in a problem creating manner. Unfortunately, most of the problems are for yourself, but you're trusting that your surface functions can deal with the new problem set.

Opposing: function of troublemaking. Most of the intentional trouble you cause will manifest through this function. So,

Se - causing trouble by obstinately demanding physical proof
Si - causing trouble by exercising developed physical skills
Ne - causing trouble by ascribing negative traits to others
Ni - causing trouble by contradicting and obfuscating
Fe - causing trouble by imposing arbitrary social rules
Fi - causing trouble by calling someone unethical for failing to meet personal morals
Te - causing trouble by forcing all reasoning to fit within a narrow framework
Ti - causing trouble by labeling all who disagree as irrational

Senex/Witch: function of escalation and/or intimidation. Seeks to make the situation more intense or more troublesome. So,

Se - escalates/intimidates through showy physical displays
Si - escalates/intimidates through refusal to consider oneself wrong
Ne - escalates/intimidates through fabrication and misrepresentation of facts
Ni - escalates/intimidates through obfuscation, lack of candor and condescension
Fe - escalates/intimidates through making it impossible for others to be moral
Fi - escalates/intimidates through intensity for each perceived personal offense
Te- escalates/intimidates through making it impossible for others to be correct
Ti - escalates/intimidates by drawing conclusions against others, and damning them

Trickster: function of justification. This function seeks to provide justification for the oppositional behavior, by linking it back to the problem solving function. So,

Se - justifies by insisting that you were demanding evidence to consider, and no more
Si - justifies by insisting that the rules are clear, and that one merely sought to enforce
Ne - justifies through the negative implications of the others' position or belief
Ni - justifies through reframing one's actions as moral or necessary
Fe - justifies through the improper social behavior of others
Fi - justifies through the personal resonance of the others' behavior
Te - justifies by organizing info in such a way that theirs is the only reasonable action
Ti - justifies through rationalizing one's actions

Demonic: function of failure escape. This function takes a failing mischief and attempts to salvage a person's sense of well-being, but falls short almost every time, with catastrophic results. So,

Se - Escapes to hedonism, dehumanization, and/or objectification.
Si - Escapes to solely the familiar, and shuts oneself away from the world
Ne - Escapes to novelty, irresponsibility and disregard for consequences
Ni - Escapes to fantasy, and rejects any bearing the outside world has on oneself
Fe - Escapes to pleasant inauthenticity, with violent reprisal against disharmony
Fi - Escapes to one's self worth, and holds it superior to the rest of the world.
Te - Escapes to total structure and predictability, rejecting any contradiction
Ti - Escapes to rejection of external validation, fanaticism

Let me know what you all think! Thanks.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
WOW. I can't speak for other people/types, but it's absolutely spot on for me! Thank you so much for posting this. I've been struggling to understand exactly how the functions manifest in a decision and this has really cleared things up for me. Brilliant.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol @ inferior Si grudgingly following exact procedure :laugh:

I also cause lots 'o trouble by contradicting.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
damn, son. spot on for me as well. :yes:

i can only nitpick a little at the Fe/Fi definitions -
Fi - suggests moral and ethical concerns that factor into the solution - intrapersonal concerns. often but not always about ethics/morality. can also be about individualism, emotional states, etc.
Fe - suggests social rules and factors that weigh on the solution to the problem - interpersonal concerns. often but not always about society. can also be about organization of relationships, type of connections, understanding behavior, etc.

but damn. well done. :yes:

A

Anew Leaf

Fi - solution derives from what rings true about the problem
Ne - suggests focusing on potential hidden implications of the problem
Si - seeks assistance through adopting established frameworks for understanding
Te - last resort of physical force

yes, INFPs are a fine site indeed.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hey at least physical force is your last resort. From what it appears, ExFPs are more likely to get violent.

mrbluey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Dom Fi response to Math problem (solution derives from what rings true about the problem):

Um... (delves deep within)

This is hard.

mrbluey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
By the way, I like your idea :)

It's a fine use of the function system. Nice diagnostic exploration..

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
That seems pretty spot on for me too. Congratulations, you've reached the number of correct possibilities to call it a universal truth: 7.

Macabre

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
By the way, I like your idea :)

It's a fine use of the function system. Nice diagnostic exploration..

Hmmm... the fact that this appears in such a neat, logical (ish) and easy to understand form leads me to question why you (m.bleu) failed in the most abject manner possible to explain this to me. Your gift of language credentials have taken a hit, mr aquamarine. But then, this is an awesome description. :headphne: