• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Michael Westen/McGuyver...

Illmatic

Welllllllllllll.....

Are these characters tooo hollywood?
In that i mean, is it possible for person like these two to exist?

I thrive on being like them and what kinda areas should i study or is it all natural?

wolfy

awsm
They are too Hollywood. It's possible to have a broad range of skills, probably not to the extent they have. One thing you can take from those shows is that skills are sexy and well worth time developing. It's what you don't see that makes it so Hollywood.

I remember this old episode of Fat Albert where Fat Albert was picked to play in a neighbourhood American Football game. He sucked at the beginning but kicked the winning goal at the end. Cosby came on right at the end of the show and said how a lot of the practice hadn't been shown. Those shows are like that, there is a ton of practice, practice, practice involved. Sometimes coupled often with the feeling you'll never get it.

Seems well worth it to work at things. What else are you going to do?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love Burn Notice!
Well, it would be very hard to become like Michael Westen. He plans like an NTJ, executes and improvises like an STP, has the memory of an ISXJ and make analogies to past situations like an NTP. :shock:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know Michael Wetern, but I've seen some McGuyver. I'm down with McGuyver. I really like understanding how things work, and not only that.. making things happen with what I know. I assume this is the sort of thing you find interesting and not the parts where you want to be in a super secret initiative leading you to be imprisoned on a weekly basis?

Chances are, if you like that kind of thing enough, it means you already share some personality traits.. even if he is fictional. If you want to be knowledgable in a wide range of technical subjects, then you already have motivation, so you've got a start there. But you'll have to do it your way. And as wolfy said, real people have to work at things and if the shows showed everything, 99.999999% of them would be watching people read tech references and burning themselves with soldering irons, etc.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what would i have to do lols?

Constantly put yourself in situations where your life depends on having those skills. You may not last much though.
Now seriously, wolfy is right, these types of refined skills take a lot of practice to develop. I think playing real time strategy games might help with some of these, but it is no substitute for the real action.

Illmatic

i am willing to practise and refine my skills, you get one life. What books and such would i need to read? I ain't gonna put my self in situations where my life depends without any practise. I wanna learn first.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, you are serious on that. :shock: I think Sun Tzu's Art of War may provide guidelines. But reading is not the key. Perhaps you could try to join CIA or FBI or SWAT (I'm assuming you are american).
How old are you? People usually have these kind of objectives when they are young.
Once they get older they usually re-evaluate the cost/benefit and decide it's not worth it.