• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reading people

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I sell things to people for a living :shrug:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Who do you think are the best types when it comes to reading people? Doesn't have to be one type, but more of a spectrum: from best to worst.

There's always the talk about xNFJ, ESTP etc. being really good at this. But I realized that the xNFJ I've met usually know me from the start, while the xSTP usually need time until they figure me out (probably until they have collected enough data).

Somehow the latter (xSTP) only see my surface and if I act as a non-INTJ right from the start, they'd never think I'm an INTJ. Whereas the xNFJ knows I'm not being authentic.

When I read this, NFJ's come to mind first... NFP's second.
Seems like a big staple to the NF personality.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So what do you guys think the function tied for "reading people"?

Most communication is non-verbal (body language, facial expressions, etc) so I'd like to think that it's Se.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So what do you guys think the function tied for "reading people"?

Most communication is non-verbal (body language, facial expressions, etc) so I'd like to think that it's Se.

I think it's a combination of traits and functions. Se does pick up on a lot of the pieces but doesn't assume anything. So you can take things at face value and be sorely wrong/ (or right.. but not always.)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Se + Fe???

hmm.. for some reason I can't seem to chalk this up to cognitive functions.... Seems like anyone could read a lot of different things with their different skills. Just any combination of traits, an innate ability to read people, and interest in reading people in the first place.

G

Ginkgo

INFJs are pretty good because they pay attention to what you say, and they remember. As an ENTP I think I'm better than most at seeing through facades and manipulation is basically a waste of your time if you are attempting to use it against me, I may play along but I see exactly what is happening.

Same. :yes:

Am I good at reading people?

Well, I know, for sure, that I take note of their intentions (though I'm not that sure unless I've really got a good handle on you, some people escape that) and patterns in behavior, and whether they truly have integrity. If I've known you for even a week, your complexities and contradictions really open up to me. I'm good at spotting potential, but I'm frequently clueless when trying to determine how well someone is going to do in life. I can also unintentionally pick at someones weaknesses instead of handling with care, and when I apologize it kind of twists the knife somehow.