• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

F

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
On Fs:

When I (as an INFP) am given topic X to consider, my first question tends to be something along the line of "What else is similar to this topic?" So I cast a wide net in my memory and try to remember similar or related topics in order to provide context for topic X. The more context I can provide, the more meaning topic X seems to acquire and the more insight I gain into the workings of context X. Random associations are productive in that they provide new contexts; whimsicality is one means of encouraging and exploring new associations.

Associations are often intertwined with emotions, so emotions are welcomed and viewed as a productive means of pursuing associations. (That is, emotions are recognized and accepted by Fs as a tool for examining topic X the same way that logic is recognized and accepted by Ts as a tool for examining Topic X.)
WOW! This part was impressive to me. I have always had a difficult time being able to put into words the way I think about things, how it differs from T's and how intuition and feeling combine. It may not be exact as INFP/ENFJ are quite different but you still did a great job. You made me want to attempt to explain it!

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I disagree. I think N plays a big role on this. I may be a T but I can still read people fairly well when it comes to motivation and what people are getting at. There is a reason why many INTJs are more tactful to people than ISTJs are. I think what you mean is that Ts can't read people's emotional state well.

INTJs are better at reading emotion than most Ts because of their Ni-Fi axis.

Fi is the best function for this because it has the greatest empathetical merits.

Ni is also great because it does an excellent job of perceiving abstractions, so you are right that N is a factor, but I'd say much less significant of a one than an F.

Accordingly an ENTJ, an intuitor with an inferior F would not do as well with reading emotiono as the ESTP, a thorough-going sensor who has Feeling in the third slot. (And also note the Fi/Fe discrepancy with the primacy of the former over the latter.. ESTP is an Fe and ENTJ an Fi... and the Un-Intuitive tertiary Fe beats out the intuitive inferior Fi)

And as for the significance of intuition... we should note that INTJs will have a higher emotional intelligence than ISTJs... ENTPs than ESTPs...ENTJs than ESTJs... and INTPs than ISTPs..Again... we also should note that those types have feeling in the same position as their object of comparison

R

RDF

WOW! This part was impressive to me. I have always had a difficult time being able to put into words the way I think about things, how it differs from T's and how intuition and feeling combine. It may not be exact as INFP/ENFJ are quite different but you still did a great job. You made me want to attempt to explain it!

Thanks! Good to hear it verified by another Feeling type. :hi:

FL

girlnamedbless

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I was thinking about each of the letters in MBTI recently and I began to wonder why the term Feeling is used. It seems to me that Feeling is more of an intuitive thing, whereas Emotional describes emotions. I understand that there is already a letter E in MBTI, and I also understand that emotional has an inherent negative connotation, but for the sake of argument pretend that neither exists.

The way it is currently, you can be a Feeler, yet have absolutely no ability to "feel" people's emotions (S's). Whereas, an NT might be able to "feel" things.

Anyways, this could be a product of my being awake at a late hour and an attempt to push the envelope on procrastination concerning my test studying, but I'd like to hear some input.

I definitely disagree with you. I don't really see how feeling is more of an intuitive thing. It can also be a sensing thing. For examples, Ns may rely more on their "hunches" and HOW people say things to figure out if they're upset. On the other hand, Ss rely on WHAT people say, or the small details that Ns may overlook. An NT may be able to use their intuitive side to sense someone's emotions, but an SF sees the actual things that makes a person upset (S), and then try to help them (F). Even if an NT does feel things, their intuitions may be wrong (N), and being T, they may not care to act upon it. So there's the main difference, SFs are better at expressing their feelings (even though E vs I plays a major role here, an SF would show more emotion than an NT, for example.)

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
An example, generally directed at the first post: in an appointed position of mine, when in a disagreement that could potentially alter or even limit the career of the other party, I am concerned not about the wants or needs of the other party but whether or not my argument is valid and my position is consistent and defensible. Separation of material facts and relevant guidelines from the individual in question is critical. A strong F-type, I imagine, would be unwilling or even unable to do this.