• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it hard being an introvert?

Is being an introvert hard?

• it sucks! I want to be an extrovert! =(

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I would prefer being an extrovert, but being I is alright

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • it is hard, but I still like being an introvert

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • It's hard being I, but I'm neutral

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • it's not hard being I, I'm neutral

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • extroverts are awesome too, but I'm glad I'm I

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I love being an introvert! =D

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • it's just a friggin letter, who cares?

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's funny, when I think of the ultimate "cool" person, I think of a ISTP, slouched over, in the background observing from a distance, laid-back, looking like they don't give a damn, the aloof, nonchalant attitude. You extorverts should envy the average ISTP's cool.

Kriash

Resident Apple Hoarder
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
I guess I like being introverted, but if I was extroverted I wouldn't mind either. I think the only thing that makes being a introvert hard is having friends who don't understand what it means, and that want you to go go go all the time just like they do.

SRT

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
?
No it's not hard. I'm good at being me.

Mysterious15

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
The question itself is something personal, i.e people would answer it differently every time due to their experiences/hobbies/ or the general people around them. :D
It should have been : Do you find being an introvert hard?
^^

For me.......being an introvert is hard sometimes. Especially since my mother is an extrovert and she just DOES NOT believe in these things..... :laugh:
On another note if I am invited into a five people gathering (including me) with two people I know well and three people I don't, then I tend to not really enjoy myself wholeheartedly. And wish that it was just me and one friend. I feel so happy going back home after a party! XD
But when put in such situations I am friendly and amiable. People think of me as an extrovert then, and I really do hate assumptions by other moms. Me being a 'good' person etc. (I am really happy when they say that but I feel really guilty since in my eyes I am far from being a good person.)
Also they say it so easily after only seeing me for.... what? An hour or so? I mean... Hey! I shout at my elder brother, argue with my mother, make a declaration nearly every month about how I will not wear make-up....and you get the idea. ;)
Can you really call me a good person after that?

All in all, being an introvert is wonderful, and even if I am misunderstood it is a much better feeling than being understood (esp. by the wrong type of people)
:)

Kimchitasi

MBTI Type
N
Enneagram
Im indifferent. I'm happy as I am and don't see any problem with it. I think growing up it was an issue for me because I had a few extroverted friends who 'expected' me to do this or not. But the older I get the less I care. I'm not an extrovert, nor do I try to be. But I am comfortable with dealing with people at a job when I need to.

I'm fortunate in that I know how to work with people -both personally and at a job-. I know too many introverts irl who are almost afraid to leave their home. I think what it comes down to is I realized a long time ago I can improve myself but I can't change myself. I will always need time to myself. And as soon as I realized that I knew I could do anything an extrovert can do, just in finite amounts.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm fortunate in that I know how to work with people -both personally and at a job-. I know too many introverts irl who are almost afraid to leave their home. I think what it comes down to is I realized a long time ago I can improve myself but I can't change myself. I will always need time to myself. And as soon as I realized that I knew I could do anything an extrovert can do, just in finite amounts.
+1 Very well put.

404 Not Found

MBTI Type
INtP
It's not hard, the only part that is hard is watching peopel around you go al extraverted and away they go, forgetting you're there.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was hard to be an introvert this weekend in a cottage full of extroverts (heavy Fe ones) with nowhere to politely hide away. Nothing but chattering. Fun, just exhausting.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Introversion (if I really am introverted) poses no problems for me. However, I have a HUGE social anxiety issue that I'd love to get rid of.

Not type related for me.

In fact, with some extraverts, I just feed off of their energy. Sometimes it feels so great to drink it all in and you become so energetic yourself. But if it's the wrong kind of person, you just want them to STFU.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's funny how interpretation goes.

I would suggest a small test. Your avatar, how would you interpret that scene?

I have three potential interpretations of my own. But I'm curious what your eyes see.

Interpretation 1: The female in your avatar just bitch slapped the male who is falling over in utter defeat, whilest the woman turns away from him with a 'talk to the hand, cuz the face ain't listening' attitude, opening a book and ignoring his existance by reading solemnly.

Interpretation 2: The male is inviting the lay with the woman on the tree branch, but the woman is scare of the little bugs on the branches. And is also much to interested in what happens next chapter of her romantic book to be interested in the guy.

Interpretation 3: She caught the male, who happens to be her son, reading a prono magazine and she furiously takes it away from him, leaving him to his own devices.

Also, the test isn't actually a test, I was just bored and admired your avatar for a while, and mixed it into this post whilest what I actually wanted to say starts after these three dots... We all see what our own eyes see. Other people don't realize how different each set of eyes perceive the same world however, and assume others see what they see. Therein lie all misinterpretations. Do not feel angered or sad for what others see or fail to see. Feel pity for them instead. So that in turn you will not be sad or angered with yourself when you fail to see their eyes. But feel pity on yourself instead. Which is by far the better option!:yes:

I meant to answer this before. Your interpretations of my avatar really made me laugh! As you may or may not know, it's actually "The Beguiling of Merlin" by Edward Burne-Jones. Overall, your first interpretation is closest to the real story. ;) (She's about to lock him inside a tree and steal his magical powers!!)

You're right about interpretation. I feel that I "know" intellectually that others see things differently from me, but it's a hard thing to "know" emotionally, particularly when it's in a situation where you might get hurt. Oddly, people tend to misinterpret me in a somewhat complimentary way, but it still tends to annoy/upset me especially if it has a potentially negative effect on me (ie. people assume that I'm more independent than I actually am, hence I wouldn't need or want their social invitations, or need/want a relationship.) But it's good to remember that we all err in a similar way, however much we may work at being perceptive and understanding.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've been thinking about this and I think that introversion's ability to shut out all the shit that happens around an individual. That might just be a lack of Se, but I can usually bear things easily that would debilitate extroverts, like an extremely hot or cold day, a bunch of strangers being jerks, or uncomfortable situations. I'm usually pretty detached mostly due to my introversion and I am not easily bothered.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've been thinking about this and I think that introversion's ability to shut out all the shit that happens around an individual. That might just be a lack of Se, but I can usually bear things easily that would debilitate extroverts, like an extremely hot or cold day, a bunch of strangers being jerks, or uncomfortable situations. I'm usually pretty detached mostly due to my introversion and I am not easily bothered.

Dont think that's introversion that's more a sad sac :). When I think of Introverts I think of philosophers comtemplating a billion ideas in their heads, being utterly mysterious not speaking a word. What you described sounds more like that:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClHAFfai9GE&feature=related"]:D[/YOUTUBE]