• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why accept something in yourself...

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why accept something in yourself that is less than what is needed to do what is required?

We all have flaws, obviously, but it seems a lot of people don't even work on improving themselves.
Adapting is what makes us human. Mastering new circumstances.

Why do you accept (major) flaws in yourself?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I think it is interesting how much more people will do than is required.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Because I am too caught up in working with what is cool about myself :D

But yes.... I see what you mean, and I do work on things that I am bad at (usually in some ridiculous fashion to make things more interesting...).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Flaws are usually the hardest thing to work on

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Why accept something in yourself that is less than what is needed to do what is required?

What is 'required' in life, or in a given situation? Why not change the requirements to avoid having to change oneself? This can, however, be interpreted as running from a challenge instead of adapting to face it.
Personally, I've identified flaws in myself, and I continue to do so, but that does not mean that I can fix the flaws as quickly as I can identify them. I can't.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What is 'required' in life, or in a given situation? Why not change the requirements to avoid having to change oneself? This can, however, be interpreted as running from a challenge instead of adapting to face it.
Personally, I've identified flaws in myself, and I continue to do so, but that does not mean that I can fix the flaws as quickly as I can identify them. I can't.

I personally think that people have a hugher problem nowadays with being themselves than with adapting to whats expected of them. They dont seem to understand that the world they live in is created by them and not by the ones who surround them

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
This can, however, be interpreted as running from a challenge instead of adapting to face it.

This is what I was getting at. It is the vague pressure coming from the society around us. So, the question changes into: How much am I willing to limit myself in order to fit in this society?

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I personally think that people have a hugher problem nowadays with being themselves than with adapting to whats expected of them. They dont seem to understand that the world they live in is created by them and not by the ones who surround them

Yeah, there is a (disturbing) tendency to adapt to society's 'requirements' at the expense of individuality. Some people act as if these external standards are objectively correct, and if you deviate, you are objectively wrong... rather than recognizing them as widely shared opinions. They are arbitrary.

This is what I was getting at. It is the vague pressure coming from the society around us. So, the question changes into: How much am I willing to limit myself in order to fit in this society?

I agree. I don't interpret changing the 'requirements' as running from a challenge, but some might, and maybe that is what you mean by vague pressure.

Then we get to the point about identifying one's flaws. No one is flawed (or anything else) with respect to themselves, so if we notice flaws at all, I wonder if they are necessarily due to external expectations. But it should be possible to improve towards an internal standard.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What we decide to change in ourselves all wells from what we want to get out of life. Some people are already where they want to be.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Then we get to the point about identifying one's flaws. No one is flawed (or anything else) with respect to themselves, so if we notice flaws at all, I wonder if they are necessarily due to external expectations. But it should be possible to improve towards an internal standard.

In a vacuum there would be no internal standard either. Basically, without other people we couldn't really define ourselves at all. It would be weird. So, we have to let ourselves be judged by someone, but we can choose who they are. Well, most people don't choose, otherwise advertisements would just not work.

redacted

We all have flaws, obviously, but it seems a lot of people don't even work on improving themselves.

Accepting yourself is a lot different than giving up.

There is a reality regarding personality traits and strengths/weaknesses in anyone. Accepting that those trends have held true in the past seems pretty smart. To think of past trends as limiting factors may be a mistake, but it's probably more of a mistake to ignore them, because then you're just throwing out data that could help you be strategic about the future.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
In a vacuum there would be no internal standard either. Basically, without other people we couldn't really define ourselves at all. It would be weird. So, we have to let ourselves be judged by someone, but we can choose who they are. Well, most people don't choose, otherwise advertisements would just not work.

You're right, that's true.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

You can be content with yourself despite your flaws. No one is perfect.

The flipside of your flaws are often your strengths.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I find that if I change one flaw, it creates another flaw.

Sunny Ghost

Agreed.

I think that accepting one's flaw's isn't equivalent to refusal to change or improve. Often the flaws take time to work on. But one shouldn't be too hard on their self either.

"Everyone seeks to change the world, no one thinks to change him self." -Leo Tolstoy. Did I follow your point here correctly? I think it can be taken two fold. In one respect, it's that we refuse to change ourself, remaining ignorant and imperfect. In the other, it's that there is too much pressure to adapt to societal standards and not enough acceptance of living according to personal standards. But going to the original post, I suppose the focus is more on the former.

Yeah, there is a (disturbing) tendency to adapt to society's 'requirements' at the expense of individuality. Some people act as if these external standards are objectively correct, and if you deviate, you are objectively wrong... rather than recognizing them as widely shared opinions. They are arbitrary.

I agree. I don't interpret changing the 'requirements' as running from a challenge, but some might, and maybe that is what you mean by vague pressure.

Accepting or changing one's flaws isn't really a deviation from our individuality. It's about realizing in oneself, for example, "I am far too over emotional and incredibly irrational, and because of this I am my own worst enemy. I'm noticing this now as a trend in myself. It won't be easy to work on, but in order to grow as a person, I need to try. But don't be hard on yourself for this fault either. This is me, I'm sensitive." People have to grow. Otherwise we remain stagnant and unhappy.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Many times, people are rewarded for their flaws. It makes it difficult to change something that gets rewarded.

Also, it depends on what you think a flaw is. I'm sure that was a give-in though. To me, having no backbone and being unable to assert one's self when they want to do so is a major flaw.. but for someone else, it is simply who they are, not a flaw or a good trait. It just is for them. :shrug:

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Accepting or changing one's flaws isn't really a deviation from our individuality. It's about realizing in oneself, for example, "I am far too over emotional and incredibly irrational, and because of this I am my own worst enemy. I'm noticing this now as a trend in myself. It won't be easy to work on, but in order to grow as a person, I need to try. But don't be hard on yourself for this fault either. This is me, I'm sensitive." People have to grow. Otherwise we remain stagnant and unhappy.

True as long as we change towards an internal standard. If you change your flaws to fit in then yes, I think it's giving up individuality.