• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

San Francisco - S vs N

bcubchgo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I know that this is probably a vague question, but I've been trying to figure out the melange of types in San Francisco. It really is sort of a baffling place where it seems like anything goes but people do live by some sort of unique rules and standards there - as if social behavior is controlled by groupthink. It seems to me like there are a huge number of sensing based personalities as well as perceiving types there. ISXP / ISXJ seem to be really heavy among the population, along with perhaps INFP coming in after that. I think there are probably also a lot of ISTP and ISTJ people there. At least to my sensibilities (yuk yuk, get it)??

What types do you think really thrive there and who belongs there and who seems more out of place?

What percentage of the population there is intuitive or extraverted? is it lower or higher than other places in the US? There seem to be a plethora of introverts there, many with social behavior disorders. I'm not sure that I really saw much correlation with the rational (NT) mindset belonging or existing there. I think they might be interpreted as being "intellectually snooty" instead of "down to earth".

watchoo think?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I spent a year there. It's a verrrry xxFP city. People like to play the "idealist" or "artiste" card and I found them infuriatingly flaky. I/E split seemed pretty even. But LOTS of sensors who probably fancy themselves N's, due to being all "spiritual/holistic/open-minded/creative/progressive/with the earth/blahblah".

For J's, IxFJs predominated.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I spent a year there. It's a verrrry xxFP city. People like to play the "idealist" or "artiste" card and I found them infuriatingly flaky. I/E split seemed pretty even. But LOTS of sensors who probably fancy themselves N's, due to being all "spiritual/holistic/open-minded/creative/progressive/with the earth/blahblah".

For J's, IxFJs predominated.

bold: that's not Fi, that's Fe trying to look like Fi.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't been there (so I may be totally off), but San Francisco sounds like it's full of SPs and FJs who are wannabe NFPs.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good point...but I think these people really believed in their own BS.

that's also Fe. they believe in their shared community values which, despite the facade and intention of individuality, sound like they're really quite collectivistic (again, haven't been there, this is based off of similar subcultures I've examined/come into contact with)

redacted

I doubt the MBTI split in SF is much different from anywhere else. Sure, there's a bit of a funny ambiance, but I don't see how that's type related.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
that's also Fe. they believe in their shared community values which, despite the facade and intention of individuality, sound like they're really quite collectivistic (again, haven't been there, this is based off of similar subcultures I've examined/come into contact with)

Yes, they're VERY collectivistic, but yet very snobbish and guarded people. It's quite weird.

Oh, and there are a bunch of ISFPs, and some ESFPs, but there aren't very many ISTPs or ESTPs, from my recollection. There's an outdoorsy culture (yoga, hiking, climbing), but it's not the xSTP rugged/challenging type. It's more of a "peaceful/serenity/zen/nature" bent.

redacted

Yes, they're VERY collectivistic, but yet very snobbish and guarded people. It's quite weird.

Oh, and there are a bunch of ISFPs, and some ESFPs, but there aren't very many ISTPs or ESTPs, from my recollection. There's an outdoorsy culture (yoga, hiking, climbing), but it's not the xSTP rugged/challenging type. It's more of a "peaceful/serenity/zen/nature" bent.

You're taking this generalization too far. There are plenty of all types.

The yoga/zen crowd hasn't taken over the entire population or anything.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're taking this generalization too far. There are plenty of all types.

The yoga/zen crowd hasn't taken over the entire population or anything.

"there are plenty of all types blahblahblah politicallycorrect blahblah no duh"

Of course there are. I'm just comparing SF culture relative to other places I've been. There's far more yoga zen there than most other places I've been. This is an opinion. The fact that all types exist everywhere is a given. I would think that would've been implicitly included in all topics of this manner, but apparently not. I have to spell out this little nugget of common sense every time.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

Of course there are. I'm just comparing SF culture relative to other places I've been. There's far more yoga zen there than most other places I've been. This is an opinion. The fact that all types exist everywhere is a given. I would think that would've been implicitly included in all topics of this manner, but apparently not. I have to spell out this little nugget of common sense every time.

So your subjective opinion is better or more relevant than Evans? Fer Xrist sake, he lives there...

redacted

Sure. I guess I was just responding to the line "there aren't very many ISTPs or ESTPs", which seemed to be a statement about distribution in the population as opposed to an observation of the surface-level social style.

San Francisco is definitely a funny place.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So your subjective opinion is better or more relevant than Evans? Fer Xrist sake, he lives there...

I never said that.

Sure. I guess I was just responding to the line "there aren't very many ISTPs or ESTPs", which seemed to be a statement about distribution in the population as opposed to an observation of the surface-level social style.

San Francisco is definitely a funny place.

I'm not picky about wording, maybe my Ti's broke today. I was being lazy about stating my observations/guesses, and if they came off as an insistence of "facts", not my intention.

As for SF, at least the air was clean there! Here in SoCal, if you drive anywhere near Bakersfield...*coughcough*

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

welcome to the story of my life. people just can't read between the lines :doh: