• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Shadow Functions Manifest

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Greetings, earthlings.

I'm an ENFP, Ne>Fi>Te>Si. I believe I can recognize these cognitive functions in how I approach things. Recently, I saw someone describe how their shadow functions appeared in their approach to life, typically as a sort of twisted form of the function in question, and I've heard people describe other shadow functions as well, usually Fe.

I particularly would like to know how shadow Ni, Fe, Ti, Se manifest in an ENFP, but in broad terms I'm interested in all shadow forms of cognitive functions, and if how they manifest varies from type to type.

If you would rather redirect me to a prior thread or other resource, feel free.

Thank you for your time! :)

Note: The usual rules apply. I don't want anyone to demonize any healthy forms of the functions. Play nice, no biting unless it's really deserved. :newwink:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i dont believe in shadow functions, imo this shadow Fe(as an example) for ENFP is just Fi Te(or Te Si, where Si has the role of Fi(perceiving Fi stuff)) working together and because of the weak point of tert function(Te) this combo will manifest in situations where other functions cant work out the what ever problem in decision. also because this combo will manifest in tough to handle negative situations(positive situations and situations that are easy to you are easily handles by more developed functions), you dont see it in every day usage. like Si(with Fi basis) creating a grounding where Te would work and would look like Fe because this whole system would be working on F ground, even tho it would be organized using Te, but Te wouldnt go past the F lines, since F lines were created by stronger function. naturally even if this "shadow Fe" would be Si(with passive Fi) + Te, there could also be active Fi involved.

not to mention that for example when you look at Se, the definition of Se(objective conscious perception in short) cant come true if the person uses Si or Ne and its supposed to be shadow of Si, because both Ne and Si are subjective perceptions and work with unconscious perception. Si because its your own impressions of the situation created from unconscious perception, Ne because the big picture you see is also produced by your unconscious and isnt created based on objective data

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're going to go with that sort of interpretation, then you might as well scrap function-attitudes (Xe/i) for the moment, and break it down into four functions (NFTS) and look at the attitudes separately. The dominant attitude is paired with the dominant function. The opposite attitude tends to be associated with the other functions (hence, the auxiliary being the opposite function), and the different complexes determine the attitude of the remaining functions. Like the "child" complex is what orients the tertiary to the dominant attitude.

So all these "shadows" are are the negative senses of the ego's dominant, auxiliary, tertiary and inferior perspectives, where the normal orientations are switched. So, if the Child for some reason degrades into its suppressed negative side, the function defaults to the suppressed opposite orientation. Fe is when the parent degrades into its negative side, and switches the dominant orientation, which had been suppressed for that function.

Or, simply look at the "Fe" rather than a combination of other function-attitudes, as just e + F, etc.