• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dichotomy tests vs cognitive function tests - A question

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Why might someone always score T on tests that attempt to measure type in terms of dichotomies, but always score some type of F on tests that attempt to measure cognitive functions?

You could really insert any type of opposing letters...

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
MBTI (dichotomy) and JCF (functions) are completely different systems that essentially measure the same thing, but being different system then different results will arise when people take them.

For example having an E funtion as your lead under JCF simple makes you more likely to take the outer context into account more often, and in a subtle way makes you extroverted. Under MBTI it basically means your more extroverted in the traditional social sense.

Also, people do tend to use a mix of thinking and feeling, intuition and sensation, etc. Under JCF that's fine since they test for function that aren't clear cut. What I mean by this is that Fi is about values, personal ethics, and inner harmony while Ti will be about categorizing and internal methods of reasoning. Both Fi and Ti don't necessarily conjure up the traditional images of "thinking" and "feeling". But on an MBTI test, having to choose heavily between "compassionate" or "analytical" is more obvious, not to mention ridiculous considering that Feelers can be analytical and thinkers can be compassionate.

So yeah, two different systems means that naturally some will test with different results. Hope that helps answer your question. :)

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Why might someone always score T on tests that attempt to measure type in terms of dichotomies, but always score some type of F on tests that attempt to measure cognitive functions?

Largely because such tests suck balls.... But looking past that, dictonomy tests struggle with peoplle who display te tertiary temptation or inferior backlash regularly. As has been mentioned before, dictonomy tests follow MBTI methodolgy, a system which was design to describe healthy people. Thus it struggles with the unhealthy.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I have that problem alot. I frequently score INTJ on a dichotomy test yet never score that on function tests. I'm more Ti than Te, more Ne than Ni, and more Ti than Ni. On function tests, I most often score INTP and sometimes INFP. I don't think I'm dominant Fi, let alone an "Fi user", I just think its due to poorly constructed questions.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to think that function tests should have been the official MBTI. In that view, E/I and J/P lose almost all of their significance as standalone factors, since they are just indicating the attitude of the functions. The 16 types might as well have been denoted in terms of the function-attitudes: "XeYi".
But then I saw how Jung really conceived of it more in terms of four functions (S, N, T, F), with the dominant paired with either one of the two attitudes, and from there, the other functions are also assigned attitudes. This is why classic MBTI theory only deals with "the first four" function-attitude combo's. The "other four" were just the rejected orientations of the first four.

This made it easier to understand several things. E/I retained their traditional meanings as far as behavior (no real "introverted extraverts"), and J/P also regain their meaning in observable behavior. The biggest thing understanding why the function-attitude strengths come out in all sorts of order in the function tests.

If your middle two letters seem settled, and it's just a matter of being close on J/P, then your preferred functions are likely sure; it's just a matter of which one bears the extraverted attitude. With the functions being measured, the suggested type can be all over the place if the "strengths" are to a certain extent out of order.

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
The MBTI badge on your blog showed ISTP - that's Ti-Se-Ni-Fe in functional terms. What is the dominant function when you take a JCF-style assessment?

/DG/

@Eric B

Hmmm... you know... I really wish I could grasp your ideas better all of the time. :/

Are you saying that Jung would have looked at your type as T > N > S > F, with introverted and perceiving behaviors which translate to Ti > Ne > Si > Fe?

The MBTI badge on your blog showed ISTP - that's Ti-Se-Ni-Fe in functional terms. What is the dominant function when you take a JCF-style assessment?

Oh haha. You can ignore that, the test sucks. I'm most likely a simple ISFJ. :/

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, it would have been i{T}, e{NSF}. It was later determined that the tertiary took on the dominant attitude, and it is likely the Puer Complex that does this.

/DG/

Actually, it would have been i{T}, e{NSF}. It was later determined that the tertiary took on the dominant attitude, and it is likely the Puer Complex that does this.

Why are these thought to be extraverted traits at first (if I am understanding correctly :/)?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because the ego chooses the internal orientation, and suppresses the external one. It also chooses its dominant function, and the others, also suppressed, "collect" in the suppressed orientation. (Until one of the complexes brings one of them back into the dominant orientation. And of the suppressed functions, the auxiliary is simply the remaining one that offer the ego's best shot at attitudinal balance).
Think of the orientations (or "attitudes") as psychic "spaces".

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
This is a good question and these answers are helpful...

I've also wondered how far off someone's result on a cognitive functions test can be. Like, I've scored xNTP on cognitive functions tests with some regularity. That's a pretty terrible misfire as I'm an ESFP/SEE. Has that happened to anyone else?

Also, is there anyone who scores as, say, a high N on cognitive functions tests but a strong S on dichotomies?

/DG/

This is a good question and these answers are helpful...

I've also wondered how far off someone's result on a cognitive functions test can be. Like, I've scored xNTP on cognitive functions tests with some regularity. That's a pretty terrible misfire as I'm an ESFP/SEE. Has that happened to anyone else?

Also, is there anyone who scores as, say, a high N on cognitive functions tests but a strong S on dichotomies?

To be fair, the function tests that are out there can vastly differ from one another. Nardi's function test is vastly different than Team Technology's function test. (Also be aware that Team Technology's function test is actually structured very incorrectly.)

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
To be fair, the function tests that are out there can vastly differ from one another. Nardi's function test is vastly different than Team Technology's function test. (Also be aware that Team Technology's function test is actually structured very incorrectly.)

Well, that's true. This has been pretty consistent across tests but I've had the easiest time relating to the questions on Nardi's test, so it's mostly that one.