• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ps, how do you plan your day?

A

A window to the soul

Folks, let's put things in their proper perspective. Being early doesn't mean much in the nerd industry. Do you kick ass at what you do? There are many folks that get in early, but take smoke & social breaks throughout day and sneak out early. I don't smoke or make small talk social rounds. When I'm at work, I work, and I pick up the slack that the early bird slackers leave behind. I end up putting many, many more hours into quality work than they do. I've been rewarded & promoted for it too. Coffee with cream and sugar is all I'm askin for!! :tongue:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Folks, let's put things in their proper perspective. Being early doesn't mean much in the nerd industry. Do you kick ass at what you do? There are many folks that get in early, but take smoke & social breaks throughout day and sneak out early. I don't smoke or make small talk social rounds. When I'm at work, I work, and I pick up the slack that the early bird slackers leave behind. I end up putting many, many more hours into quality work than they do. I've been rewarded for it too.

There ya go! Same here. (Well.. I do take up too much time making random chit chat, but not on purpose.) Sometimes I've been late for being stopped in the hallway by too many people on the way to the time clock.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Folks, let's put things in their proper perspective. Being early doesn't mean much in the nerd industry. Do you kick ass at what you do? There are many folks that get in early, but take smoke & social breaks throughout day and sneak out early. I don't smoke or make small talk social rounds. When I'm at work, I work, and I pick up the slack that the early bird slackers leave behind. I end up putting many, many more hours into quality work than they do. I've been rewarded for it too.

No doubt about it. There are people who function like this and are extremely productive. So, it definitely has to be taken on a case-by-case basis. But, in my experience, for every P that is like you, there is another P who comes in late and is also the first person out the door at 4:59pm. And they will tell you "Oh, I take my work home with me sometimes." Yeah, right. You must think I'm freakin' stupid to tell me that. Some P's have a good work ethic, but also some do not. They simply want to fart around all day long. And I don't exempt myself here - I have a tendency to fart alot myself - errr - I mean "fart around" that is. Srsly though, there's a time to put playtime aside and get to freakin' work, am I wrong? Some peeps just gotta grow up.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
how about we compromise?

You do what works for you, and i'll do what works for me =)

A

A window to the soul

No doubt about it. There are people who function like this and are extremely productive. So, it definitely has to be taken on a case-by-case basis. But, in my experience, for every P that is like you, there is another P who comes in late and is also the first person out the door at 4:59pm. And they will tell you "Oh, I take my work home with me sometimes." Yeah, right. You must think I'm freakin' stupid to tell me that. Some P's have a good work ethic, but also some do not. They simply want to fart around all day long. And I don't exempt myself here - I have a tendency to fart alot myself - errr - I mean "fart around" that is. Srsly though, there's a time to put playtime aside and get to freakin' work, am I wrong? Some peeps just gotta grow up.

Understood! :laugh:

This P stands for 'Perfection', not 'Pathetic'! We have flex-time at my work, so it's more of the norm since I live in a big city. I do understand where you're coming from though.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

In the same breath, though. It seems kind of weird to get tons of work done when you're at work while other people are slacking off. It seems smarter to do less, or the minimum. When I start working, some weird Te thing clicks and I get shitloads done. I can't stop. I'm like a broken energizer work bunny in that 8 hours. I also tend to shorten breaks. I get paid the same and stay for 8 or 9 hours no matter what. Why do I do that? How does that make any sense?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Nijntje,

*picks nose*. Yeah, sure, OK. I'm P too, so I totally get it. I'm just saying that it's true what those J's say: If I'm paying you, but you're not at work, then somebody has some 'splaining to do. Or, if I'm paying you and I can never actually locate you......*doesn't compute*. System malfunction. :shock:

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I had a J boss one time that told a P employee, "The next time you decide to show up even 30 seconds late, just turn your car right around and go right back home. And don't ever come back. Just stay home and watch TV and don't call me to apologize or to tell me you need a job. And I'm the boss, so if I have running around to do in the morning and I show up at 8:15, I want to see that you've already done 15 minutes of work - and that you didn't just start working when you saw me arrive. Capiche?"

The P showed up on time for a week. Following week, showed up a few minutes late. Game over. Go home. Thanks for playing. He was off the job within 5 minutes.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Nijntje,

*picks nose*. Yeah, sure, OK. I'm P too, so I totally get it. I'm just saying that it's true what those J's say: If I'm paying you, but you're not at work, then somebody has some 'splaining to do. Or, if I'm paying you and I can never actually locate you......*doesn't compute*. System malfunction. :shock:

=C

If you were my boss, i think you'd be pleasantly surprised at my work ethic. I get more and a higer quality of work done than most of m colleagues, i don't gossip, i don't take cigarette breaks, i often work through my lunch and stay back. occasionally, though i am a minute or two late for work.

But i do understand what you're saying, there were people i worked with in offices who were on time, yet ended up having a lesser quality of work, or did less work because they spent time gas-bagging or gossiping or whatever.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had a J boss one time that told a P employee, "The next time you decide to show up even 30 seconds late, just turn your car right around and go right back home. And don't ever come back. Just stay home and watch TV and don't call me to apologize or to tell me you need a job. And I'm the boss, so if I have running around to do in the morning and I show up at 8:15, I want to see that you've already done 15 minutes of work - and that you didn't just start working when you saw me arrive. Capiche?"

The P showed up on time for a week. Following week, showed up a few minutes late. Game over. Go home. Thanks for playing. He was off the job within 5 minutes.

:( That makes me sad.
The P was better off without such an anal boss.

I'm assuming the worker was pretty useless overall and the boss was looking for reasons to fire him?

Otherwise this over obsessive rule pounding is really bad for workplace morale. People can't work under such strict conditions. You need people who don't micromanage your every move.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
:( That makes me sad.
The P was better off without such an anal boss.

I'm assuming the worker was pretty useless overall and the boss was looking for reasons to fire him?

Otherwise this over obsessive rule pounding is really bad for workplace morale. People can't work under such strict conditions. You need people who don't micromanage your every move.

This is why the military can be pure hell for a P. Cuz you don't have a choice. If you're late, they start writing you up and after 3 times, they could take half of your paycheck and demote you. And also if you were living in a house or apartment, they could make you move back on to the base - you would lose your "privilege" to live outside of the base. LOL.

But, yeah, that situation was a bit of both. Boss was anal. But the worker was always pushing the limits and trying to get away with stuff. Productivity wasn't horrible - comparable to other workers - but just couldn't do what he was told. If he was told "do X", he would "do X + 1" or "X - 1" - he'd always put his twist on it. Or if everyone showed up at 8 like the boss wanted, he'd come rolling in at 8:10 while everyone else was already hard at work. Just couldn't comply.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is why the military can be pure hell for a P. Cuz you don't have a choice. If you're late, they start writing you up and after 3 times, they could take half of your paycheck and demote you. And also if you were living in a house or apartment, they could make you move back on to the base - you would lose your "privilege" to live outside of the base. LOL.

But, yeah, that situation was a bit of both. Boss was anal. But the worker was always pushing the limits and trying to get away with stuff. Productivity wasn't horrible - comparable to other workers - but just couldn't do what he was told. If he was told "do X", he would "do X + 1" or "X - 1" - he'd always put his twist on it. Or if everyone showed up at 8 like the boss wanted, he'd come rolling in at 8:10 while everyone else was already hard at work. Just couldn't comply.

Oh, well that makes sense. It was the military. But I don't think this is normal of most work places. To be so strict with P's, (even habitual mild tardiness.) I'm an RN .. (very important that we show up relatively on time.) But no one's going to notice if we're a minute or two late. It's unnatural and unnecessary in most work environments. Even environments where timeliness is quite important, (like mine!)

Edit: This strictness reminds me more of either 1.) The military/ armed forces (as you mentioned.) Very important that things are organized to perfection. Or 2.) A fast food place or somewhere where you have to work with a lot of kids/teenagers who are always trying to push their limits and need a lot of strict boundaries. When you're working with a bunch of adults who are educated and know what they're doing (or aren't in the military) it shouldn't be as big of a deal.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Oh, well that makes sense. It was the military. But I don't think this is normal of most work places. To be so strict with P's, (even habitual mild tardiness.) I'm an RN .. (very important that we show up relatively on time.) But no one's going to notice if we're a minute or two late. It's unnatural and unnecessary in most work environments. Even environments where timeliness is quite important, (like mine!)

I was in the military, but that situation I spoke of was not in the military - it was in construction actually - which is sort of unique in its own right. A lot of the corporate rules don't really apply out on a job site like that - the small business owner (contractor) can usually get away with a lot more (aka, walk all over people). Still though, I will maintain that it's generally not good to be late. My answer to people who are habitually late is........."why are you always late, but never early?" If you want to be late twice a week and early twice a week, then that will even itself out. But, if you're just late 4 times a week and never early, something is wrong.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was in the military, but that situation I spoke of was not in the military - it was in construction actually - which is sort of unique in its own right. A lot of the corporate rules don't really apply out on a job site like that - the small business owner (contractor) can usually get away with a lot more (aka, walk all over people). Still though, I will maintain that it's generally not good to be late. My answer to people who are habitually late is........."why are you always late, but never early?" If you want to be late twice a week and early twice a week, then that will even itself out. But, if you're just late 4 times a week and never early, something is wrong.

:D I kind of agree with that, in a small way. Sometimes I say that about those habitually late people. Like, seriously just leave 5 minutes earlier!!! Seriously. What's the big deal? There is some serious mental block going on with this person where they can't figure out how to leave five minutes earlier.

But, at the end of the day, if it doesn't affect whether or not people get out on time, and they get all their work done, I don't see it as a huge big deal, or grounds for firing. I guess if everyone was showing up 5 to 15 minutes late, it would be a different story. Seems unfair to those who show up early. But since most people don't feel comfortable showing up late, (and won't show up late just to spite other's who like to show up late), I figure, eh- :shrug: whatever. It all works out at the end of the day.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Half the battle is simply going to bed at a decent hour. Getting 8 solid hours of sleep. If I do that, I'm on my game. If I don't (which does happen), that's when I can get a little lazy.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Half the battle is simply going to bed at a decent hour. Getting 8 solid hours of sleep. If I do that, I'm on my game. If I don't (which does happen), that's when I can get a little lazy.

uuuurgh, yeah, i hear you. i have insomnia, so getting those much needed hours is hard. STUPID BRAIN STOP THINKING!!!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Haha, really? This makes perfect sense in my head.

But in reality, for me, it's the days when I get no sleep that I show up the earliest.

If I got 4 or 5 hours of sleep, the normal goal is to pump coffee into my system fast, get my hair out of my face and run as fast as I can away from my bed before I want to lay down again. Since, '5 more minutes" is not going to help the fact that I'm going to be a miserable boar all day. "Just do it." Becomes the motto and I show up earlier than usual. After the 8 peaceful hours I'm more likely to be relaxed and happy and "whatever! It's a great day! i'll get there when I get there!"

A

A window to the soul

You're right. Good advice! :)

But in reality, for me, it's the days when I get no sleep that I show up the earliest.

I've experienced that on occasion, but then I look and feel like a cracked out zombie halfway through the day. :p

STUPID BRAIN STOP THINKING!!!

Kick back, lights low, relaxing music... it might help you to wind down. Works for me, when I try.

A

Anew Leaf

I tends to do this:

And this:

when planning.

It can be summed up beautifully in these charts (thank you hyperbole and a half).

responsibility1.png

responsibility8.png

responsibility9.png

responsibility7.png

responsibility16.png

responsibility6.png

Yeah. So i tend not to plan.

Oh. Also, I do this:

I'm NEVER on time. for anything. ever.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS WHAT I DO.

Dear Aussie Self,