• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the difference between a shy extrovert and an introvert?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So are you saying I'm actually xNFP, a real ambivert in personality...or just that I'm an ENFP with ambiverted temperament?
I did once try to integrate pure ambiversion into type, but it the way it is set up, it must be one or the other, even if slight.
So you definitely seem on the E side, and even in the Inclusion temperaments, there's nothing perfectly in between on one dimension; Phlegmatic Sanguine would be slightly on the extrovert side, while Phlegmatic Supine would be similar but on the introvert side. Some of what you say even sounds a bit like a full Sanguine in Inclusion, so it definitely looks like E.

wolfy

awsm
I definitely get energised by "Se" being out exploring the world, living in the moment etc. but I still feel like an introvert.

I tend to think an ESFP and an ISFP will both be energised by Fi and Se aswell, it's just a matter of where you're most at home. Given that I've been on this site for ages and still don't really get what Fi is all about probably doesn't help either.

It's difficult to see how you'd be energised by Fi. Se is a lot easier to see.

T

ThatGirl

Some people swear I am an extrovert according to how I approach situations, though I have noticed socializing is a use it or lose it quality. Meaning the more I hang out with people the better I get at it an more extroverted and confident I become, while the less I hang out with people the more shy and less likely I am to want to socialize at all. I can easily fall into my introverted world never to even think about sticking my head out.

Oddly enough my (what I have typed as INFP) friend will admit to getting antsy when left to himself for too long and swears a healthy social life is very good for him....

Not what I would expect from your typical introvert.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I consider myself a slight extrovert with shyness. What most people said here sounded about right. I find that I'm an extrovert because while I do sometimes tend to want to do my own thing, I really start to get tired after a short period of being alone. Sometimes my quietness in groups has to do with the fact that I don't have anything in common with them or have nothing to add to the topic, but find that I still have more energy after socializing and being out in the world than I do sticking to myself.

wolfy

awsm
I have the same amount of energy whatever I do. I do this thing where I turn off for a second, am I an alternating introvert/extrovert?

T

ThatGirl

I have the same amount of energy whatever I do. I do this thing where I turn off for a second, am I an alternating introvert/extrovert?

Ha, I do the same thing. I can be out at a party or with friends and after a certain point will just mentally check out. There is really nothing anyone can do to get me to talk or participate from that point until after I go home for a while.

The next day though, I will be like "oh we should do that again it was fun!"

Is that similar to what you were talking about?

wolfy

awsm
Do I need to start a ADD introvert or extrovert thread. If I am ADD then I am the laid back one, what is that called again?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Similar. But I just check out for a few minutes. My mind/emotions go some place else.

Haha, I do this. Must be some miswiring in our brains. I call it "cloud head" or "screensaver"

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, people think it's cute/funny. I don't know what that is.

Not me! People get concerned. I'm supposed to be "on" all the time. People don't like or get screensaver mode. It's just a couple of moments/minutes where I literally am not thinking or feeling anything. I'm there but I'm not there. I have the autopilot for answering questions. Then I snap out of it and say, "WAIT, WHAT? Sorry! Spaced out!"

(Edit: A vitamin deficiency or something?? Who knows what it is?)

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I definitely feel like I go into a different mode when there is a crisis. Emotions are gone and I see pretty clearly what needs to be done. I had a big day like that last year when I had to take charge, kick ass, and take names. It was a week before my mom died and the hospital wasn't helping us at all on some important things going on. I don't get a chance to exercise this skill a lot and I was so thankful to have it. My super INFP aunt does the deer in the headlights thing whenever there is a problem. I find it very irritating.

Maybe this means I am supposed to be more of an extravert but the weight of the world has crushed me like a grape!

Eh...you could be a natural extravert. I'm not sure if what you're describing is the same thing as "springing into action" without thought though. It sounds you handled those situations perfectly, and you were very controlled and deliberate. The stress response thing I quoted was talking specifically about reactions that aren't necessarily voluntary, and whether they tend to be uncontrolled action or paralysis.

I'd say I have a more difficult time refraining from acting impulsively than freezing up. It's actually been a great benefit to me. One time, when I was about twenty years old, this dude tried to snatch my purse, but he was half drunk and I immediately just started yelling at him and beating him with said purse, so he wasn't able to take it.

Yeah, I mean, I think sometimes being reactive or impulsive could be detrimental, and I'm more likely to be that way when it concerns glorious me, rather than a task that involves serving others.

My brash impulsiveness I would say can be one of my biggest flaws...but I didn't get my purse stolen, dammit.

I just think, though, if that happened in some place like NYC I might have gotten shot by the mugger though. This was just some drunk douche at a party I was at in NC.

This sounds more like the impulsive action the page I quoted was talking about. Especially if you think you would have done the same if you'd been in serious danger. And the bolded...I have a very hard time picturing an introvert saying that. Everyone likely says or does the occasional impulsive thing, but if it happens all the time and it's a major flaw of yours, and if stress makes you more likely to act that way rather than less....yeah, I think that's a strong sign of extraversion.

That's actually one of the things I find most puzzling about extraverts. When I started reading about tertiary temptation and "loops", the idea of extraverted loops just blew my mind. The thought of someone always being compelled to act, and having to stop themselves and make themselves reflect more....I can hardly wrap my head around that. I try to imagine it, and it seems so completely bass-ackwards and bizarre to me.

@ the OP: Are there any reasons besides shyness that made you decide you were introverted? If feeling shy was the main thing that made you think 'I' for yourself, you're right to reconsider that now. I don't know you well enough to have an opinion on your type though.

wolfy

awsm
@ the OP: Are there any reasons besides shyness that made you decide you were introverted? If feeling shy was the main thing that made you think 'I' for yourself, you're right to reconsider that now. I don't know you well enough to have an opinion on your type though.

It was mostly a slight shyness. Also the tendency to drift off now and again. I think I prefer Se over Fi. I feel like I get my energy from Se, I am very become aware of it in my environment and do it. At the same time I am laid back.

There is some energy from a kind of idealism, mostly about authenticity.

I feel like I adapt and adjust myself to the situation, I get energised in situations I enjoy, I like having a lot of friends. I don't want to go out all the time but a lot of friends is good. I feel like I am pretty open about what I like.

I tend to keep the more temperamental aspects under wraps but I seem more open about that these days. Probably more of a hassle for others but more healthy nonetheless.

That's all I can think of.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Saturned, are you certain your not an E? :cheese:

In the sense that your E/I preference is not neccessarily decided by observable behaviors, like being social and engaging, but by the psychic energy, and external focus.