• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne, then Si OR Si, then Ne

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
but its different with dom or aux function than tert or inferior. my Si doesent drill

I completely agree that how Si manifests itself in the SJ personality is different from how it manifests in the NP personality.

However, Si in NPs can have a drill quality of its very own ...this is why INTPs can become pedantic and overly proud of their "specialized language" or jargon in chosen academic or professional field, and why I (as an ENFP) get really funny about details in the presentation of writing if it's for any professional capacity,and I think I can get a little drill happy with beloved subjects, particularly as I grow older and start seperating the wheat from the chaff.

It seems to me as a young ENFP I took so much in with less judgment, and now that I've narrowed a bit for maturity and depth and sanity, that leads to some drill behavior, which isn't always a bad thing.

It can be both good and bad.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
However, Si in NPs can have a drill quality of its very own ...this is why INTPs can become pedantic

but i dont think its because of any sort of drilling. its just that there is alot of details in INTPs Pi, Ne tries to share the big picture and Ti wants to include all info that is needed, to make it efficient as possible, because well there is so much that the INTP perceives that it is impossible to communicate all of it. Ti kinda has to create shortcuts between the big picture and the details in order to communicate everything that the INTP wants to communicate, and the listener has to use their brains so that they can follow these shortcuts. and i admit that sometimes it can get a bit too complex, even for the most skilled ones :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your Ti works with your Si to get all those factual details needed for a singular, in-depth topic.

No, sometimes INTPs really do just ramble in a kind of mental masturbation, and pretentious jargon is pretentious. I've even known INTPs to admit it. But that's another thread.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your Ti works with your Si to get all those factual details needed for a singular, in-depth topic.

Si is what i perceive from inside like when im thinking what to write about im perceiving from the inside, but how i write about the perceived stuff is not about Si anymore, that a combination of functions and other mental processes not related to MBTI.

this might sound like a mental masturbation, but i see a distinct difference between the two, believe it or not :D

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
For me, I like Ne. In fact, I love it and I need it. It can go wild as long as it does it within the boundaries of my given purpose. That purpose is to expand and shift the larger outline (or "diagram" or "vision" or "model", anything like that) that I've already got in place.

Help move it along. Help keep it from becoming unable to integrate incoming brain food (and thus useless to me). Help keep it from becoming too distanced from actual reality (Pi can get so far gone if you don't constantly validate it in the outside world). But don't try to overthrow, discard, or eradicate it.

This makes sense, thank you. It sounds Ne is there to feed information to Pi, but Pi dictates what information Ne brings in? Being able to keep Ne within any boundaries at all is probably a sign that it's subordinate, lol.

I think that something reminding me of a past experience is just memory. The need for everything to integrate into a constantly expanding/evolving web of concepts already ever present within my mind is what I identify as Pi. That's why I feel a need to compare everything new to everything I'm already "familiar with" and see where and how it fits, what I can do to expand my own model of understanding.

I'm not so sure that something reminding of a past experience is wholly just memory. To use an example, in one of my lab courses we did the same lab two consecutive weeks. I did not notice that it was the same, through all the prep work and doing the lab itself. I think if it were just memory, I would have. There may be a certain way of perceiving the present, perhaps related to Pi use, that causes the comparison to familiarity...

SiNe does show up for me in seeing, or trying to see, the present as analogous to something familiar (I use familiar instead of past because the past is only valued for its factor of familiarity; things do not necessarily need to be a past "experience" for me to consider them familiar). Not just present things, but everything.

This is very interesting too. Is there some 'comfort' in familiarity? Does the analogous-ness of it just kind of, show up in your head, or do you have to actively check against your familiar-things database? (Sorry about the wording...)

I was tempted to say memory again @ first bold but since reading the second bold, it does indeed sound similar to Pi! At least I think so.

From the way you've described Pi here, I think it sounds similar too. By 'because the 'concept' represented by that image is ever-present for me (not temporally distant/removed)' I meant that I didn't have to rewind or search to get to it, it just jumped into my head. And also, it doesn't seem like a thing of the past, it seems to extend through all time, because it isn't stored as an event. My memories (I know this is not the same as Si, sorry about that!) aren't stored in chronological order. They are just random snippets and I have to deduce the logical order of events. This sounds more like what you're saying, I think?

It kind of feels like a stream of consciousness, but backwards. Does that make sense? A widespread series of miniature chain reactions all at once. Sometimes something like "strong but vague feelings of familiarity" followed by a torrent of images, feelings, sounds, etc. supplied by your [separate] memory in an effort to support or pin down those feelings. Sometimes things come up from "memory" that you don't even regularly recall otherwise. This + the inherent malleability of memories is incidentally one of the reasons why Si based "certainties" can be funnily inaccurate sometimes lol.

To the underlined: This sounds very vivid, I don't think I have experienced it. Perhaps this is what people call 'nostalgia'. I'll get the vague familiarity but it won't be followed by the torrent, and I won't trust the familiarity or look for clues that it is familiar. And yeah, memory is selective! haha... that is very true.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Si is what i perceive from inside like when im thinking what to write about im perceiving from the inside, but how i write about the perceived stuff is not about Si anymore, that a combination of functions and other mental processes not related to MBTI.

this might sound like a mental masturbation, but i see a distinct difference between the two, believe it or not :D

No, what you just wrote there is far too short to be mental masturbation. Apparently you don't know what I mean by that.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thanks very much for this skylights! So I guess Ne is responsible for the mental 'jumps', as opposed to Si? Si would be more like looking at the apple and thinking, "huh, this one looks more rotten than the apple I saw last week". Yes?

i think so! at least yes to the first part, Ne jumps. have you ever read the book a wrinkle in time? if you have, Ne is like tesseracts. it skips a bunch of information to jump point to point. instead of ABCDE, it goes AEJOS. the advantage is that it gets you to Z more quickly; the disadvantage is that you miss all the letters in between, which are important in their own right. whereas i think Si progresses in the ABCDE way - as marm described, more linear - and it doesn't miss nearly as many things along the way. its conclusions seem so clean and precise, while Ne is fast and messy. i've heard a Si user describe it as, you look at an apple and you notice it's more rotten, more mealy, less crisp, duller - all of that - than last week's, and it also often triggers things like all the apples you've had recently - a sort of "apple schema" - hence the connection of Si to what things "should be like" - because over your lifetime you've accrued this apple schema. by comparing all of them together you can easily pinpoint the best attributes and know how things should be. it's like Ni in that way. it literally Perceives inwardly - it takes your inner mind-information and crafts visions from it.

Thanks for the reminder that Si =/= memory.
I guess you don't have much access to Si without Ne driving it?

well it was definitely what i misunderstood at first, i thought i must have terrible Si because i have a terrible memory, lol, but my Si is actually decent, if immature. but yeah, i don't have much primary access to it. i usually have to get to it via Ne first. funny aside though, i think i go more to Si when i'm tired. usually i'm pretty loose and exploratory, but when i'm tired i tend to know exactly what i want, how it should be, and when things aren't as they usually are.

Interesting. I am guessing that with Ni there is more to the new life analogy than the analogy itself? Namely that they can often see the end of the pattern with certainty.

:yes: with the Ni users i know they tend to be very certain about some things, and are very rarely wrong. and they tend not to make guesses as to what they're not sure about - they wait and gather more Se information.

It sounds like Ni tends towards 1, and Ne tends towards infinity, which in the end are derivatives of the same thing I guess, because they ideally lead to full understanding. Ne sounds like 'all is one'. I suppose that's why they are similar, as I've learned in that other thread.

yes exactly :) i think N = all is one, one is all. it's how we shortcut through things. whereas S i think of in terms of existence. S sees all that exists. it doesn't want to shortcut because if you shortcut you miss existence. but those are just my little pet Ne theories lol.