• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you sort The Temperaments for your purposes?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(I'm pulling this from my LJ blog today.) This is a personal preference of course, but for my own purposes/understanding of MBTI, I can better sort the types by these groupings: TP/TJ/FP/FJ.

[FONT=&quot]ESTP Se Ti Fe Ni[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ISTP Ti Se Ni Fe[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ENTP Ne Ti Fe Si[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]INTP Ti Ne Si Fe[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ESTJ Te Si Ne Fi[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ISTJ Si Te Fi Ne[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ENTJ Te Ni Se Fi[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]INTJ Ni Te Fi Se[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ESFP Se Fi Te Ni[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ISFP Fi Se Ni Te[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ENFP Ne Fi Te Si[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]INFP Fi Ne Si Te[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ESFJ Fe Si Ne Ti[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ISFJ Si Fe Ti Ne[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ENFJ Fe Ni Se Ti[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]INFJ Ni Fe Ti Se[/FONT]

What about you all? What do you prefer? I know some people have expressed a preference for behavioral groupings IP, IJ, EP, EJ and some people stick with the accepted Archetypes (NF, NT, SJ, SP).

Also, I'd like feedback from others on my set of pairings and how you think it may or may not be functional. :)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I better sort them FP, FJ, ST, NT
FP: creative, individualistic, exotic, rebellious, free spirited, convicted, sweet
FJ: community centric, caring, emotional, sensitive, humanitarian
ST: practical, detail oriented, linear, straightforward, efficient, act first talk later,
NT: rational (obviously), calculating, theoretical yet practical, calm, seldom neurotic

I certainly agree with your seperation of FPs and FJs. there is little similarity between them if you ask me.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I better sort them FP, FJ, ST, NT
FP: creative, individualistic, exotic, rebellious, free spirited, convicted, sweet
FJ: community centric, caring, emotional, sensitive, humanitarian
ST: practical, detail oriented, linear, straightforward, efficient, act first talk later,
NT: rational (obviously), calculating, theoretical yet practical, calm, seldom neurotic

I certainly agree with your seperation of FPs and FJs. there is little similarity between them if you ask me.

That's interesting.

I forgot to add that some people have expressed a preference for NJ, NP, SJ, SP.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Meh... I'm not much into sorting... so I stick with the basics (SJ, SP, NF, NT).

Though perhaps a system like this...
SJ, NJ, SP, NP
...or the one you mentioned in your first post might work better.

Dunno... doesn't really seem to matter too much to me.

*edit* Oops...you've already mentioned the SJ, NJ, SP, NP way of sorting. My bad.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's interesting.

I forgot to add that some people have expressed a preference for NJ, NP, SJ, SP.

yes, this would be an effective means of sorting as well. N-S combined with P-J determine the way information is obtained by the individual. I run into a lot of trouble with my ENTJ bff because he uses Ni and I use Ne so, although we both use intuition, we have a difficult time explaining things to each other and our intellectual abilities are completely different styles.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Good thread! I've been thinking of this lately.

I prefer EJ, EP, IJ, IP. This categorization scheme is, I think, best at capturing outward similarities.

I'd equally go with the one in the OP, though, too. TP/TJ/FP/FJ makes sense.

Also, I'll mention that I don't really like the NJ, NP, SJ, SP groupings because, well, surely an ISFJ has more similarities to an INFJ than to ESTJ, right? And surely an ENFP is more similar to an ESFP than to an INTP, n'est pas? This is only one tiny step better than Keirsey, but it's still not good.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good thread! I've been thinking of this lately.

I prefer EJ, EP, IJ, IP. This categorization scheme is, I think, best at capturing outward similarities.

I'd equally go with the one in the OP, though, too. TP/TJ/FP/FJ makes sense.

Also, I'll mention that I don't really like the NJ, NP, SJ, SP groupings because, well, surely an ISFJ has more similarities to an INFJ than to ESTJ, right? And surely an ENFP is more similar to an ESFP than to an INTP, n'est pas? This is only one tiny step better than Keirsey, but it's still not good.

not sure I agree with this one. I love ESFPs, but I have a very hard time relating to their thought processes. INTJs and INTPs both relate to me better

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
not sure I agree with this one. I love ESFPs, but I have a very hard time relating to their thought processes. INTJs and INTPs both relate to me better

I said "similar." Feeling like you relate to somebody has less to do with temperament and more to do with chemistry/shared interests/similar backgrounds/region/what have you.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I said "similar." Feeling like you relate to somebody has less to do with temperament and more to do with chemistry/shared interests/similar backgrounds/region/what have you.

fair enough

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!

Ah, this is a good point, I was going to side with these groupings but you're right. I wonder though, similarity in outside behaviour vs. similarity in how they think, may yield different results.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I use three-letter temperaments. I don't even know if that's allowed but idc.

EFJ
IFJ
ESP
ITP
etc...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Orangey said:
And surely an ENFP is more similar to an ESFP than to an INTP, n'est pas? This is only one tiny step better than Keirsey, but it's still not good.
Elfboy said:
not sure I agree with this one. I love ESFPs, but I have a very hard time relating to their thought processes.

i do second elfboy's sentiment. the difference is less in outward behavior and more in thinking style - but the MBTI is about cognitive preference, not outward behavior. INTP's aux Ne makes their thinking seem more similar to ours than dom Se, even though it really looks like ESFP-ENFP should be a close match.

i personally prefer the perceiving groupings (NJ, NP, SJ, SP), but that may just be because i am perceiving dom myself. i don't really like the EP, IP, EJ, IJ groupings very much because i myself am a pretty introverted extravert.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
i do second elfboy's sentiment. the difference is less in outward behavior and more in thinking style - but the MBTI is about cognitive preference, not outward behavior. INTP's aux Ne makes their thinking seem more similar to ours than dom Se, even though it really looks like ESFP-ENFP should be a close match.

Hmmm, but why is the INTPs aux Ne and tert Si (which is not even in the same order placement as the ENFPs dom Ne and inferior Si) more important in terms of similarity than the ESFPs aux Fi and tert Te (which are exactly the same as the ENFPs aux Fi and tert Te?) I'd say that the ESFP is more similar to the ENFP in terms of thinking style AND outward behavior than the INTP is to either. And if we cut out similarities in outward appearance altogether, what's to stop us from making the ridiculous claim that ENFPs are really more similar to ISTJs (since they share ALL of their functions)...literally their opposite type...than they are to ESFPs?

And anyway, this is all kind of irrelevant because similarities in "thinking style" can't be measured by how much any individual feels he/she relates to individuals of other types.

i personally prefer the perceiving groupings (NJ, NP, SJ, SP), but that may just be because i am perceiving dom myself. i don't really like the EP, IP, EJ, IJ groupings very much because i myself am a pretty introverted extravert.

Then why not the groupings suggested by the OP? TP/TJ/FP/FJ? Even those are better than the NJ, NP, SJ, SP.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
And if we cut out similarities in outward appearance altogether, what's to stop us from making the ridiculous claim that ENFPs are really more similar to ISTJs (since they share ALL of their functions)...literally their opposite type...than they are to ESFPs?

I think that if someone's dominant is my inferior (and by extension, v/v), I am less similar to them than if their dominant is the same orientation/type as mine. Eg. an Fi dominant is more like a Ti dominant than a Te dominant, even though they have Te inferior but no Ti. Even disregarding "outward appearance", I think an ENFP is more like an ESFP, b/c they share Pe. I agree with you but not for your reasons, I guess. This goes along with your thought of EP, IP, EJ, IJ groupings. But I'm basing this on similarity of cognition, not outward behaviour.

On the other hand. An ESTJ is more like an ISTJ than an ENTJ, yes? They share dominant and auxiliary both. Surely that overrides the same orientation/type of dominant requirement.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think that if someone's dominant is my inferior (and by extension, v/v), I am less similar to them than if their dominant is the same orientation/type as mine. Eg. an Fi dominant is more like a Ti dominant than a Te dominant, even though they have Te inferior but no Ti. Even disregarding "outward appearance", I think an ENFP is more like an ESFP, b/c they share Pe. I agree with you but not for your reasons, I guess. This goes along with your thought of EP, IP, EJ, IJ groupings. But I'm basing this on similarity of cognition, not outward behaviour.

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that if we disregard outward appearances and we start saying things like "INTPs are more similar to ENFPs than ESFPs because of shared Ne, even though ESFPs share Fi and Te in the same positions (and, as you mentioned, share dominant Pe)," completely ignoring the position of the functions (or arbitrarily assigning importance to some position sets over others), then you'd be just as justified in saying that ISTJs are more similar to ENFPs than ESFPs.

On the other hand. An ESTJ is more like an ISTJ than an ENTJ, yes? They share dominant and auxiliary both. Surely that overrides the same orientation/type of dominant requirement.

Functionally, yes. Outwardly, no.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Better yet, I like the interaction styles categorization.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
well they are normally grouped NT, NF, SJ and SP, because J makes bigger difference to the person on S types than in N types. Se is really different from Si, while Ni and Ne are quite alike, so T/F makes bigger difference on N types.

imo it depends on the context what type grouping you want to use(using 3 letters might work the best in some situation, sometimes only S/N or T/F is enough, sometimes you want to say the whole type), but if talking generally about types, i think its best to use SJ, SP, NT and NF

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
well they are normally grouped NT, NF, SJ and SP, because J makes bigger difference to the person on S types than in N types. Se is really different from Si, while Ni and Ne are quite alike, so T/F makes bigger difference on N types.

imo it depends on the context what type grouping you want to use(using 3 letters might work the best in some situation, sometimes only S/N or T/F is enough, sometimes you want to say the whole type), but if talking generally about types, i think its best to use SJ, SP, NT and NF

Right, so it's best 'cause it's best. How did I miss that important bit of reasoning in my calculations?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Right, so it's best 'cause it's best. How did I miss that important bit of reasoning in my calculations?

lol i dunno, as an Se user you should have been able to see this part: "Se is really different from Si, while Ni and Ne are quite alike, so T/F makes bigger difference on N types."

or do i need to write a book about it that explains that sentence in more detail so that you understand what it says?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Orangey, I admit that I find the EJ IP IJ EP sorting easier in terms of spotting which groups people belong to when I'm out and about in the real world, because although I don't know their inner workings, it's not hard to identify visible behavior in real life. On a place like this forum that way becomes a lot tougher. I think I like behavioral for narrowing down types when trying to identify others, but I prefer my way for understanding the MBTI as a whole and for understanding head and heart communications. In fact, that might be a good way to describe the pairings I like as I didn't really have a name for it.

Head and heart communications! I think it works.

NOTE: Reread thread and something else occured to me. I think this sorting also demonstrates the natural affinities the groups will have. Perhaps they should be blocked rather than listed to reflect natural moth/flame attraction. TJs and FPs, FJs and TPs. Having interacted more with others types on this site has taught me things I would not have discovered in real life. For example I've never dated or befriended an NT in real life (before joining this site, now I have several :) ) but having interacted with them, I discover I have a HELL of a lot more in common with xxTPs (probably because of function usage) than I do with xxFPs.

Last edited: