• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you sort The Temperaments for your purposes?

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
not different, its just that some short MBTI descriptions just scratch the surface, especially if you just Se on them and not actually think whats the deal behind them

How short is short? I want to know before I tell you what I've read. (Because if if I tell you first, I assume you would just say it's short even if it wasn't.)

i rather just run, so i dont need to waste money on one of these:

I_M_WITH_STUPID.jpg

Actually, you can't run, you don't have Se. Se is the only function that can be used for running. :cheese:

Whoa killer, I hope that's not an example of Ne humor.

Can't be. We understood it, and we are just stupid, stupid Se users.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
well they are normally grouped NT, NF, SJ and SP, because J makes bigger difference to the person on S types than in N types. Se is really different from Si, while Ni and Ne are quite alike, so T/F makes bigger difference on N types.

On this board it's that way, and it's because 87.5% don't know the difference.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
big picture vs details, thats the biggest difference between P functions. Ni and Ne both see patterns, look at big picture, combine things(Ne what is perceived and Ni what is judged) etc etc. Si sees the impression of whats happening, Se sees details in objective manner, Se sees objective details, Si sees details on subjective impressions.,Si creates personal impression based on what is judged(that way creating the subjective impression, with Si dom the judgment comes from unconscious most the time, making more room for the actual impression on conscious), Se just taking in what is perceived.

Nah dude, Ni and Si are both "drillers", except that Si in the most extreme continues to drill down the one chosen path, where Ni at an extreme would never drill down but instead pierce here, pierce there, etc etc etc. but never really settle on any one thing. With balance, they both are a combination of drill downs and piercings; on prefers to drill down first, the other pierce.

Se and Ne are breadth, one present/reality focused and the other future/possibilities focused.

MBTI Type
TITS
Enneagram
7w8
:doh:

but its obvious if you understand what Si, Se, Ni and Ne means and if you understand the meaning for words 'similar' and 'different'. Se and Si are different, Ni and Ne are similar. what more do you need lol? if you need definitions for Si, Se, Ni and Ne, try google.

You're embarrassing :doh: You're making me feel embarrassed for you.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think TJ/TP/FJ/FP are the best groupings. Perception, IMO, is overstated on this board. I think you'll find more similarities in judging functions first.

Another thing- the more similarly aligned people are, the better you can assess how the types differ. An 50 something ISTJ who grew up in the Midwest among cornfields with both parents and a religious background is way different than a 24 year old ISTJ who grew up in the hood with only his mom, struggling to survive day by day.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The smiley was meant to imply sarcasm.

i know.

Nah dude, Ni and Si are both "drillers", except that Si in the most extreme continues to drill down the one chosen path, where Ni at an extreme would never drill down but instead pierce here, pierce there, etc etc etc. but never really settle on any one thing. With balance, they both are a combination of drill downs and piercings; on prefers to drill down first, the other pierce.

Se and Ne are breadth, one present/reality focused and the other future/possibilities focused.

so? that doesent change the fact that Ne and Ni are more similar than Si and Se and that S vs N makes a huge difference.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
i know.

so? that doesent change the fact that Ne and Ni are more similar than Si and Se and that S vs N makes a huge difference.

With this response you're supporting my case more than your own.

Noon

2v01zdz.jpg

By the way, I tend to group by judging function (FJ/TP, TJ/FP) & perceiving function (NJ/SP, NP/SJ).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This conversation is not productive at all, now on either side it's just a bunch of snide comments.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

If you locate your type on the diagram, you will find your primary and aux functions indicated within the diagram.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmmm, but why is the INTPs aux Ne and tert Si (which is not even in the same order placement as the ENFPs dom Ne and inferior Si) more important in terms of similarity than the ESFPs aux Fi and tert Te (which are exactly the same as the ENFPs aux Fi and tert Te?) I'd say that the ESFP is more similar to the ENFP in terms of thinking style AND outward behavior than the INTP is to either. And if we cut out similarities in outward appearance altogether, what's to stop us from making the ridiculous claim that ENFPs are really more similar to ISTJs (since they share ALL of their functions)...literally their opposite type...than they are to ESFPs?

lol, fair point. i just mean that if i were to be asked who i feel more similar to, i would probably say INTP over ESFP.

And anyway, this is all kind of irrelevant because similarities in "thinking style" can't be measured by how much any individual feels he/she relates to individuals of other types.

Then why not the groupings suggested by the OP? TP/TJ/FP/FJ? Even those are better than the NJ, NP, SJ, SP.

yeah, it just gets to the same thing again - i feel much closer to ENTP than ESFP. i really do think for me it's a matter of being P dom. for a Judging dominant, i imagine the TP/TJ/TP/FJ categories would make more sense (and i would agree that those are perhaps the easiest to distinguish outwardly), but when i compare myself with others, i'd probably group ENFP-ENTP-INFP-INTP. i relate most with the NPs because they share my strongest function. and it's pretty easy for me to tell when someone is one of those types, even though in a lot of ways i'm not much like INTPs. but they seem to have a similar "feel" to me regardless. that similar drifty lost-in-your-head thing. whereas NJs feel more removed but initiating; SPs more engaged but reactive; SJs engaged and initiating.

i'm cool with whatever system people want to use. for my own personal purposes, grouping Perceivers makes the most sense because that is the "genre" of function i understand best. maybe an INTP would tend to group INTP-ENTP-ISTP-ESTP because they all share Ti. and an ESFJ, ESFJ-ISFJ-ENFJ-INFJ. not that it always works out that way, of course, people with very balanced functions might swing either way. and people who really relate to the IP-IJ-EP-EJ combinations might choose those instead. i guess for whatever reason i'm personally just more nerdy a la INTP than really extraverted and present-engaged.

i guess my point is i feel like none of the combinations are really superior to use across the board... just depends on what you want to group them for.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll read that. Sorry about posting without reading Jung himself. I guess what I have read on the functions is quite different.

That's silly, in general. Yet, shortnsweet was referring to this context, in which I don't think it's silly.

Yes, you knew exactly what I meant. I just said "doing things for your own personal purposes" rather than "thinking things for your own personal purposes." Thank you for clarifying.

Opinions are opinions. You can't argue with people's opinions, nor can you assert your own to be gospel fact. The OP asked us to say how we sort temperaments for our own purposes. If you want to argue about what people think for their own purposes, by all means. It's useless.

We may as well just argue about our favorite colors and be hateful and catty about it while we're at it. There's people who may have wanted to talk in this thread. Not anymore, because you can't say an opinion anymore without wondering if your opinion is not factual and correct. If you would like to state facts from books about MBTI, (and also insult people who don't agree with you or haven't read the same obscure book) go start a "facts from books, and insults too!" thread. People should be safe to talk about their opinions in an opinion thread.

Or, HERE'S A THOUGHT. Start caring about people really learning more about your knowledge and opinions, and then maybe you can start a "Facts from Books, questions and exploration allowed!" Thread! There's a new concept for those of you who wish to thrive on new concepts.