• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Smiling in Pictures and MBTI Type

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I normally smile in pictures. I try to make it genuine, but even when it is it somehow appears to come out as a smirk or cocky grin.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only if its sincere, I cant fake smile.

You can sure fake agony, though! (Referring to your avatar.)

I suspect that Extroverts, Sensors, and Feelers smile the most, in pictures and otherwise. Never trust an INT who has a perpetual smile.

I'd say Sensors smiling in pictures goes only so far as being wedded to tradition (specifically SJ), since it is traditional to smile for a camera in most cultures.

Although Intuitive types, in theory, are more camera shy, because they are more prone to phobias.

All in all, though, I'd say smiling for the camera is mostly ExFx.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
All in all, though, I'd say smiling for the camera is mostly ExFx.

Yeah, I think there are some correlations (probably low-moderate). That being said, I think those correlations are larger when the camera is off. I smile when I laugh, and that's it ...

ygolo

My termites win
I sometimes smile. I usually say "cheese" or whatever when asked though.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I smile because I look prettier with a smile on my face.
I used to have a hard time smiling for pictures, but then I practiced and figured out a way to do it that looked natural.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I smile in pictures, but I tend not to look directly into the camera.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'm ENFP my brother is IN_P. He does NOT smile in pics. I took a photography class and bugged him once b/c I needed a subject. The best he does is a 3/4 cocking of the head "Captain Morgan" style and looks bemused. He'll wrinkle his brow and purse his lips and look deep in thought or else slightly self-conscious. He does NOT smile usually, when he does, it's a small curling of the lips with no teeth.

As for me, I HATE how I look in pictures. And if i don't smile, it's x3. I used to have a funky overbite whcih I felt self-conscious about but closing my mouth made my fugliness more apparent. And I hate looking fugly.

I will make my biggest often borderline psychotic cheesy grin and freeze my face to comedic effect. My brother says I also open my eyes really wide and "look psycho". Sometimes he'll yell at me to stop if he's taking a picture.

The purpose of me looking batty with my crazy smile is so people will KNOW I am NOT trying to be serious and tell them "yes, I know I look fugly now leave me alone" and not use my picture. It's the equivalent almost of flipping off the camera, because doing so makes the shot unpublishable/unuseable in most cases.

If I have to look fugly, I might as well be charming about it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I almost always smile in pictures, though I NEVER say "cheese"- even if told to do so (or especially if told to do so!). I've had the same smile in pictures since I was a baby, and it's generally an amazingly cheesy smile!

My isfj mom and esfp sister always smile- my intp dad tries to hide from the camera- I think the only pictures in which he smiles he's with my mom.

LucrativeSid

My facial expressions in pictures are usually crazy, but you can usually still detect a smile, grin, or smirk in there somewhere.

Srho

MBTI Type
INFX
I don't smile that often, period, because I feel like it looks creepy when I do and I'm just not that happy a person anyways. I prefer stark and dramatic pictures to bright and happy ones.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Old thread but

I don't smile much either. I don't like it. My face muscles are weak

rav3n

ENTJ - it's rare that I smile for pictures since I hate having my pic taken.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i almost always smile in photos, even though i hate having my picture taken. it's just a reflex at this point, plus i hate when people are always mean mugging in pictures. i smile a decent amount irl though.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I smile A LOT.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
INTP.

I smile when I laugh, and only because I have no control over that. Besides that, smiling just for the sake of doing so sounds weird and unnecessary. Also, I hate taking pictures, and generally refuse to take them unless absolutely necessary. I haven't taken one in so long that if I were to die right now the only picture they'd be able to find for my funeral program would be me riding a mechanical unicorn when I was 6, and I didn't even smile in that one.