• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

People who are sure of S/N or T/F

Little_Sticks

Outside of the legitimately questionable limitations and validity of the theory, ITT these are actually really good observations.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
i was only ever confused by e/i

Ditto. And this is why I don't think the theory will always work. Take the distinguishing INFP/ENFP battle. SHares all the functions.. and sometimes Ne/Fi dom can be difficult to decide. Sure, I've heard that typically your dom function is much higher.. but not always. Especially for those closer to the border. I now take the stance that only a certified mbti tester should help people distinguish, because there are too many variables for people to fudge up in their own analysis, which is always subjective.

Cybin

MBTI Type
INFP
I gave some consideration to Ti, but I was mostly sure I was an F type in the beginning. It just took some more looking into Fi, Fe, and Ti to secure which I felt I was. S and N was a little harder, but again some more information on Se and Ne cleared it up.

With E/I it always struck me that if there was a question the person was likely EN or IS. IN and ES types tend to be pretty sure of which they are. I also blame this on poor descriptions that equate E with sociability and I with shyness.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think your theory probably isn't valid, but could work in some instances. This is because of function theory. The simple S/N and T/F is not enough to determine type. "Being sure you're an N" doesn't mean you actually are...BlackCat, for instance, was INFP for a significant amount of time, until he began to really grasp function theory, and realized he was an ISFP instead...he has Se/Ni, not Ne/Si.

Perhaps there is something to this, once function theory is brought into it. It was when I started looking more into pairs of functions, and saw that I was obviously Ne/Si over Ni/Se, and slightly Ti/Fe over Te/Fi, that I realized that it was really the I/E that is questionable, even though most of the previous consensus was that I am in INFP denial. This works even though I was sure at that time that I was Ti>Fi, because something still seemed "off" enough to look into...

I am an Ne dom. It actually can be very difficult for someone to "see" their dominant function because it is literally the lens through which you see the world.

And despite this understanding now, this is why I am still not making a decision one way or the other. I ask myself the question of which function is dominant, and my answer is "how in the world am I supposed to be able to see my own lens?" The function tests will usually say Ti, but it is by such small margins that they could simply be wrong.

Anyway, still could be a promising start for the theory....

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It actually can be very difficult for someone to "see" their dominant function because it is literally the lens through which you see the world.

That is why your theory could possibly fail in some instances.

i second this. i thought i was INFP until i discovered function theory, and was like, holy shit Ne is my life.

i think it's often hard for Pe types because extraverted Perceiving really is just like a tinted contact lens. you don't even realize you're looking through it until someone points out, oh hey, that's not how everyone sees. and with Pe dom, sometimes because J feels so strong, it's hard to tell which is your dominant. but for me, Ne is always on. always. whereas Fi is also constant, but it ebbs and flows.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Ditto. And this is why I don't think the theory will always work. Take the distinguishing INFP/ENFP battle. SHares all the functions.. and sometimes Ne/Fi dom can be difficult to decide. Sure, I've heard that typically your dom function is much higher.. but not always. Especially for those closer to the border. I now take the stance that only a certified mbti tester should help people distinguish, because there are too many variables for people to fudge up in their own analysis, which is always subjective.

The entire system of MBTI/other personality typing seems subjective to me.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Theory is true for me. I guess I'm more of a T, though, as a plain old dichotomy. But when you put the whole big picture together I'm an ESFP.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm the most sure of being an I. I'm pretty sure of being an N too, although I can relate somewhat to the ISxJ descriptions. I'm the least sure of the last two letters.

So based on that you would think INxJ is most likely my type but it doesn't play out that way. INTP fits best functionwise and descriptionwise.

Cybin

MBTI Type
INFP
They're different systems with different definitions for the functions.

/DG/

I was talking about the OP's theory...it fails for people like me.

My theory does fail sometimes, but it is irrelevant in your case. I was not speaking about Socionics... I don't know much about it.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So I'm deciding between ENTJ and ESTP - but I know I'm a T (and everyone insists the same). So according to your theory, there's my answer...either that or ESTJ. Impossible, I don't have any Si whatsoever.

/DG/

So I'm deciding between ENTJ and ESTP - but I know I'm a T (and everyone insists the same). So according to your theory, there's my answer...either that or ESTJ. Impossible, I don't have any Si whatsoever.

Then how about ENTJ?

Te > Ni > Se > Fi > Ti > Ne > Si > Fe