• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensors Growing up in an all Intuitive Enviroment

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ok so we've heard plenty from N's growing up in an S enviroment, but what about S's that grew up in an N enviroment? Do you think they had it just as tough? I'm going to say yes, for the fact that my brother, is an ESTP but both of my parents are Ns and he was the "problem" child. He got out of there as soon as he could, and always had a hard time communicating with my family to an extent, we always butt heads with him. On the other hand I'm the child, that my parents want home for the holidays, while they enjoy seeing him, he needs to be gone in days or else everything will be tense, me on the other hand can usually stay as long as I want and there's very little tension. He's not a bad a person, he's one of the smartest people I know but I think the fact that he's a Sensor and my mom, my dad, and I are all intuitives cause some communication problems.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps worse.
I think N's handle S's much better than the S's handle N's, because S's language is usually concret, and, altough it is not as stimulant for us, it makes easy for us to understand their views and motivations. We may feel the S's don't understand us, and possibly feel wierd in comparison, but we'd still understand then, which may not be the S's case.

My house seems to have one person of each SJ variation, dad is ESTJ, mom is ISFJ, and I'm almost sure my 2 brothers are ESFJ and ISTJ. How cool is that? :cheese:
They are often boring, I can't question their actions, much less their mainstream views. Anyway, it is not too annoying once you accept they won't change.
I wasn't a ''problem'' child, by the way, my grades were fine and my parents probably just viewed me as spacey. I' ve never been their favourite son tough.:shock:

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
parents are INFP and ENTx. we aren't close.

I don't think S-N (or type at all) was a particularly important factor in our many differences, though. (and having a pissing contest with Ns as to who has life the worst would be a bit silly anyway)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
(I'm not trying to have a pissing contest, I posted this because I'm tired of N's bitching how hard life is because they grew up in an all S household, and assuming that S's who grew up in all N household had it easier)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
it wasn't aimed at you, just in general. :)

A

Anew Leaf

I guess I am the lucky one being that in my immediate family it was just me and my NF mom and NT dad :).

I think that's part of why I am super N. ^_^

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
(I'm not trying to have a pissing contest, I posted this because I'm tired of N's bitching how hard life is because they grew up in an all S household, and assuming that S's who grew up in all N household had it easier)

The fairer comparison is: Ss that grew up in a world that is about 20-25% S and 75-80% N. That world doesn't exist.

Edit: I'm only saying that because an S that had two N parents still has a majority S world outside.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
the world might be mostly s as a whole, but there's enough n's in the world that is possible to grow up in a mostly n enviroment.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Eh hem... post 2...

I grew up in a household with an interesting bunch. (All in different sections of the house, we weren't all mixed together.)

ESFJ mom
ISTJ grandfather
ESFP uncle
INFP aunt
ENFP grandmother..

I had more conflict with the 2 J's than I ever had with the 2 N's. It wasn't any major problem, but I think that any personality related conflict in my house had more to do with J/P than S/N.

This J conflict continued into people I lived with in my adult years. I'm a pretty extreme P at times, so I imagine that's where the issues came from. (Me, not them.)

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have an INTP friend, with an INTP father, an INFJ mother and an INFP sister. People in my town generally dislike the family, and always say there's something odd about them. Anyway, the middle child (of course he's the middle child) is ESTP. His older Brother, my INTP friend, was valedictorian and is now doing research in theoretical physics, and the ESTP is always being unfavourably compared to his academic brother, because he is impulsive, lets his grades slide, not because he isn't smart, but because he spends more time playing sports, and dabbles in drugs and likes to party. This guy is a very normal male teenager, but is made to feel like a huge screw-up oddball.

I don't think it's easier to grow up in an N environment and being the only S, I think it's just less likely to happen than the other way around.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Eh hem... post 2...

I grew up in a household with an interesting bunch. (All in different sections of the house, we weren't all mixed together.)

ESFJ mom
ISTJ grandfather
ESFP uncle
INFP aunt
ENFP grandmother..

I had more conflict with the 2 J's than I ever had with the 2 N's. It wasn't any major problem, but I think that any personality related conflict in my house had more to do with J/P than S/N.

This J conflict continued into people I lived with in my adult years. I'm a pretty extreme P at times, so I imagine that's where the issues came from. (Me, not them.)

interesting, it could not be the S/N and could be the I/E because besides my brother being the only sensor he's also the only extrovert. Never thought of that, thank you. But I know it's not the J/P because my mom's the only J in the family, although my mom and him butted heads the most out of everyone.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
interesting, it could not be the S/N and could be the I/E because besides my brother being the only sensor he's also the only extrovert. Never thought of that, thank you. But I know it's not the J/P because my mom's the only J in the family, although my mom and him butted heads the most out of everyone.

Well that makes sense. If she's an INxJ and he's an ESTP it could be an issue of just plain old opposites for those two. Could be ES vs. IN for the rest of the family or any number of traits/ functions.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, my ISFJ mom grew up with SJ parents, but all of her siblings were Ns (INTP, INFJ & ENFP), and she was with my ENTP dad for about 15 years from her teen years. The effects seem positive. She is notably more open to new things than many SJs I come across. My mom can sometimes have an NF vibe as far as her interests & attitudes, so much so that I had a hard time typing her before I knew much about the theory. I think having SJ parents possibly shielded her from feeling like an outcast though.

She's married to an ISFP now (honorary Ns), so it's also clear she's drawn to wacky, artsy types (which my ENTP dad was also), which requires a higher level of openness. In fact, I am always surprised when I meet a stereotypical Si-dom who doesn't like anything new or strange, as my mom doesn't fit that aspect so clearly.

Sunny Ghost

I don't know that I can imagine any scenario where someone felt as though they didn't fit in simply because of their being a sensor or intuitive, regardless of what they are surrounded by, type-wise. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Being neither an Intuitive, nor a sensor who grew up surrounded by intuitives in the household, I can't give a fair example... but I am an ISFP, who grew up in a household with an ESFP father, ISFP mother, and ESFJ sister. Of me and my sister, it was me that was the outcast. Reason being, I was always too emotional, sensitive and impulsive, often careless, and unmotivated in school. I'd say most of my not fitting in, was because I was not a role model child. In fact, I was a lot like my parents when they were younger (though how much they are aware of this, I'm uncertain.) But either way, they were parents, like most any other, that wanted a child that was sociable, made good grades, and worked hard at school. These are less to do with my being a Sensor, and more to do with the fact that I was an introvert, a feeler and a perceiver.

I really dislike the mindset that being intuitive makes you an alien. There's a very very thin line between S and N. And we're all capable of using both, and in fact do to some degree. A more accurate reason for difference may be... being an Fi-dom dealing with a dominant Te father. Or being an Ni-dom and having to grow up in an Se-dominated household.
I believe depending on the "type" of sensor or intuitive you are may also be a better indicator of which other sensors or intuitives you are capable of getting along with better, due to other traits.

I personally have the most difficult time with ESTP females, but note, we're both sensors. ESTP females always see me as some weird alien, and often tease me. And I collide a lot with ENTJ males due to their overbearing Te, that conflicts with my inferior Te.
Following this train of thought, I a scenario with say, ISFJ and ESFP parents to an ENFP child, would go on without differences and conflict. S/N would be no indicator of weirdness in their child. And an ENTJ father with a INTP mother to an ISTP child, would also prove to be without conflict.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't know that I can imagine any scenario where someone felt as though they didn't fit in simply because of their being a sensor or intuitive, regardless of what they are surrounded by, type-wise. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Being neither an Intuitive, nor a sensor who grew up surrounded by intuitives in the household, I can't give a fair example... but I am an ISFP, who grew up in a household with an ESFP father, ISFP mother, and ESFJ sister. Of me and my sister, it was me that was the outcast. Reason being, I was always too emotional, sensitive and impulsive, often careless, and unmotivated in school. I'd say most of my not fitting in, was because I was not a role model child. In fact, I was a lot like my parents when they were younger (though how much they are aware of this, I'm uncertain.) But either way, they were parents, like most any other, that wanted a child that was sociable, made good grades, and worked hard at school. These are less to do with my being a Sensor, and more to do with the fact that I was an introvert, a feeler and a perceiver.

I really dislike the mindset that being intuitive makes you an alien. There's a very very thin line between S and N. And we're all capable of using both, and in fact do to some degree. A more accurate reason for difference may be... being an Fi-dom dealing with a dominant Te father. Or being an Ni-dom and having to grow up in an Se-dominated household.
I believe depending on the "type" of sensor or intuitive you are may also be a better indicator of which other sensors or intuitives you are capable of getting along with better, due to other traits.

I personally have the most difficult time with ESTP females, but note, we're both sensors. ESTP females always see me as some weird alien, and often tease me. And I collide a lot with ENTJ males due to their overbearing Te, that conflicts with my inferior Te.
Following this train of thought, I a scenario with say, ISFJ and ESFP parents to an ENFP child, would go on without differences and conflict. S/N would be no indicator of weirdness in their child. And an ENTJ father with a INTP mother to an ISTP child, would also prove to be without conflict.

Exactly. +100000

StrawMan

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, at least when S's go to school, they get in an environment where most other kids will be S's.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think it's a fair question, but I'm guessing it's not JUST N/S that comes into play in a major way.

For example, my ESTJ cousin was endlessly frustrated with his family growing up -- both of his parents, as well as his brother, are ISxP's (possibly all three ISTP's, although his father is the one who might be an ISFP). My cousin, being quite an extrovert, as well as a hardcore STJ, was definitely the odd man out and became impatient & annoyed with their I-ness as well as their P-ness. lol. He just had such different concerns and preoccupations/priorities than all of them.

Edit: But, for me, yes, having two SJ parents definitely made a difference for me, and the N/S thing was obvious (and thankfully I had an INTP brother to alleviate that a bit). Which is why I think the OP's question is interesting/good - is it the same for S's with two N parents?

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Not true, actually. At least not in my experience. I grew up in an all S household. ISFJ mother, xSTP father, ISTJ older brother, a full nine years older. The fact that I was an N immediately set me apart. My mom noticed right away that things that came easily to her and my brother were difficult for me. When he was young he was her little helper, very conscientious and responsible. Me, not so much. I was a stubborn little space cadet. They fight all the time now, though. In some ways the fact that we are both Ps made my father and I seem more alike, but in all major aspects we're completely different. He could never understand why I might have trouble making friends if I'm an extrovert, never imagining I might care a bit more about quality. We aren't on speaking terms anymore btw.

My point is, Ne is my dominant function, so S/N differences are huge for me. I imagine it would be the same for all Ni, Si, and Se doms. P/J differences are often the easiest differences to observe, but I don't believe they're the most vital... well, I suppose that perhaps for Ss they're more important, where T and F become more important for Ns... but that's just a theory. Dealing with people of opposite dom is always more difficult in my opinion, though.

Be that as it may, anyone raised in a loving household can have a wonderful home life growing up. My older brother is almost my total opposite, but he's the most amazingly good person I know. My mom is wonderful. Both of them have always seen my N qualities as a vital part of my identity, and loved me despite my differences. I do feel I understand them better than they do me, but sometimes their insights surprise me.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, my ISFJ mom grew up with SJ parents, but all of her siblings were Ns (INTP, INFJ & ENFP), and she was with my ENTP dad for about 15 years from her teen years. The effects seem positive. She is notably more open to new things than many SJs I come across. My mom can sometimes have an NF vibe as far as her interests & attitudes, so much so that I had a hard time typing her before I knew much about the theory. I think having SJ parents possibly shielded her from feeling like an outcast though.

She's married to an ISFP now (honorary Ns), so it's also clear she's drawn to wacky, artsy types (which my ENTP dad was also), which requires a higher level of openness. In fact, I am always surprised when I meet a stereotypical Si-dom who doesn't like anything new or strange, as my mom doesn't fit that aspect so clearly.

My mother (and hell, me to some extent) is/are the same way.

My mother is an ISFx (I suspect J but sometimes I see a lot of Fi in here so I sometimes think ISFP), my father and older brother is an ENFP, and two younger brothers are ISTP and ENTP.

I think having a lot of N's in the household as it helped me see a lot of things from the way N's tend too. My Dad was actually more conservative than my Mom (go figure) and while I consider myself a conservative, I'm not at all the massively social conservative that ISFJs are often typecasted as. I credit that someone to my own ISFJ mother (who is very similar to OrangedAppled) but mostly my ENFP father and older brother.

Makes me wonder sometimes how my really good relationship with my father has influence my own attitudes and feelings toward ENFx's. Makes me think that's maybe why I tend to get along with them so well :wubbie: