• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] MBTI and the 5 Love Languages

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In order from most important to least important:

Quality time
Words of affirmation
Acts of service
Physical touch
Receiving gifts

I'm an INTP

A

Anew Leaf

NT

Quality time
Acts of service

Gift-giving doesn't usually do much for me, since I usually dislike the gifts, don't need them, and prefer to choose things for myself. Well-timed and selected acts of service, though, tell me my SO is really thinking about me, understands my needs, and is willing to make them a priority. Part of this is just doing the things he says he will do (his share of the chores, etc.). On the other hand, he will also make me tea when I am working, do one of my chores so I don't have to, pick up something at the store he knows I need, etc. I consider this the best kind of gift, since it lets me spend more time on things I prefer to be doing, or to work on something with fewer interruptions. It also makes me just plain feel cared for.

Well, so far there seems to be an initial correlation between NT's and disliking the gift giving. ;) (and now there will be some pesky NT coming along who waxes eloquent about how much they adore getting gifts.)

To clarify my own love of receiving gifts, I only like them when they are unique and thoughtful. My mom was a genius at this kind of gift giving. She would listen to what you would say and at Christmas, birthday, or "just because" you would get the most awesome gift you never knew existed. Sometimes she would hand make it herself, and other times it was something she had another artist make.

Random gifts like bath and body products, or things that have obviously been regifted, are not appreciated by me. For one, I feel like I am not obligated to get them something, and for two, it tells me they put no thought into it.

I once got a gift that ended up being a thoughtful gift I had made for them. Ehl oh ehl.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NF

physical touch/words of affirmation
quality time
acts of service
recieving gifts

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hrmm what I give is not necessarily what I require in love language.

I tend to give Quality Time and Acts of Service. I used to do Words of Affirmation a lot more than acts of service, but ultimately found that too... vulnerable. Perhaps with the right person that would change.

I tend to need Words of Affirmation and Physical Touch.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
SJ or SP (leaning towards SJ)

Number one:
Quality Time

I dunno about my second or third or anything, but my last is definitely:
Physical Touch

I HATE being hugged or touched... well actually it's okay for family, but if you're a friend then DON'T TOUCH ME. :p

A

Anew Leaf

SJ or SP (leaning towards SJ)

Number one:
Quality Time

I dunno about my second or third or anything, but my last is definitely:
Physical Touch

I HATE being hugged or touched... well actually it's okay for family, but if you're a friend then DON'T TOUCH ME. :p

introvert?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
or you are a riddle wrapped in a vest. :)
Haha maybe.

I would also really like to see if any of these love languages seem to correlate with type, but not a lot of people seem to have posted here.

The NF's that posted here seem to mostly like physical touch.

It's a bit surprising to me that there are some NT's here who have physical touch as their first choice. These two don't really seem like they'd go together, IMO.

A

Anew Leaf

Haha maybe.

I would also really like to see if any of these love languages seem to correlate with type, but not a lot of people seem to have posted here.

The NF's that posted here seem to mostly like physical touch.

It's a bit surprising to me that there are some NT's here who have physical touch as their first choice. These two don't really seem like they'd go together, IMO.

My super INTP dad told me that that is his #1 with quality time right afterwards. And by super, I mean that when he took the official test for work he only scored 1 point on the F side. I was pretty surprised myself. :)

Noon

SJ

Words of Affirmation
Acts of Service / Quality Time

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
SP

Physical touch
quality time/ words of affirmation
acts of service
gifts

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
My super INTP dad told me that that is his #1 with quality time right afterwards. And by super, I mean that when he took the official test for work he only scored 1 point on the F side. I was pretty surprised myself. :)

In my case, once I want to be close with you, I want to be CLOSE with you, if you catch my drift.

Re: gifts, service, words -

Gifts - much like already mentioned - it's usually crap I don't need, and don't have space for, or if I do want it, it's not the exact kind I want. I like giving gifts, and am good at it, but don't really need anything in return. I also hate thank you notes. Finally, there's always the ridiculous social dance that goes along with it. You never can express how you actually feel when receiving a gift. May be mistaken for bribery.

Service - I don't want your service; I want your help. That turns it from service into quality time. Likewise, if you do something for me, it seems very neutral, because it's expected that I'll hit you back up in the future. It's maintaining the relationship, instead of building it. Can be mistaken for currying favors.

Words - I don't like words of affirmation, because it once again starts up the silly social dance of acting humble even when you're feeling confident or even proud of yourself. It's annoyingly inauthentic (now you're going to think I'm an NF, lol), and can often be mistaken for flattery.

A

Anew Leaf

In my case, once I want to be close with you, I want to be CLOSE with you, if you catch my drift.

Re: gifts, service, words -

Gifts - much like already mentioned - it's usually crap I don't need, and don't have space for, or if I do want it, it's not the exact kind I want. I like giving gifts, and am good at it, but don't really need anything in return. I also hate thank you notes. Finally, there's always the ridiculous social dance that goes along with it. You never can express how you actually feel when receiving a gift. May be mistaken for bribery.

Service - I don't want your service; I want your help. That turns it from service into quality time. Likewise, if you do something for me, it seems very neutral, because it's expected that I'll hit you back up in the future. It's maintaining the relationship, instead of building it. Can be mistaken for currying favors.

Words - I don't like words of affirmation, because it once again starts up the silly social dance of acting humble even when you're feeling confident or even proud of yourself. It's annoyingly inauthentic (now you're going to think I'm an NF, lol), and can often be mistaken for flattery.

Very interesting. And no, I don't think you are an NF :).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
NF

Physical Touch
Quality Time

(sometimes reversed, but those two always come out on top)

I also like Acts of Service, because to me it indicates concern and caring about a person's basic well-being, and Words of Affirmation are always nice, though I tend to think that some people can say pretty words they don't mean which is why it doesn't come out on top for me.

I don't throw Gifts away, they're lovely. All love languages are lovely, but those are mine in approximate order.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, so far there seems to be an initial correlation between NT's and disliking the gift giving. ;) (and now there will be some pesky NT coming along who waxes eloquent about how much they adore getting gifts.)

:hi:

I don't think I can list my preferences in any kind of order as what sounds ideal and what I actually react to in a relationship are not always the same but I do like giving and receiving gifts, nothing big, just little things that mean something to the other person that shows you get them and were thinking about them. Nothing perks me up more than getting home after a crappy day than a surprise gift. I'm not into expensive gifts, it's the thought behind it that matters the most.

A

Anew Leaf

:hi:

I don't think I can list my preferences in any kind of order as what sounds ideal and what I actually react to in a relationship are not always the same but I do like giving and receiving gifts, nothing big, just little things that mean something to the other person that shows you get them and were thinking about them. Nothing perks me up more than getting home after a crappy day than a surprise gift. I'm not into expensive gifts, it's the thought behind it that matters the most.

Foiled again! :)

I may have to view you as a sampling error.....!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nf

if i remember right it was words of affirmation and quality time with physical touch close behind and the other two close to zero.

T

ThatGirl

I'd probably be.....

Acts of Service
Quality Time
Physical Touch
Receiving Gifts
Words of Affirmation

I am a type 8.

I should note, the last man I dated...I really felt neutral about him until he kind of entered into my world, and helped me out with a couple things, showed how capable he was and how well we work together as a team.

I need to feel that sense of connection with someone like we are in step, headed in the same place at the same time.

This is only enforced more with good quality time to back it up.

And then if the sex is good.......