• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What can NFPs do that NTPs can't do better?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
NTPs are highly intuitive and perceptive. They're good at reading people and situations and even better at finding solutions. That also puts them in the running for good listeners because they know when to listen and how.

Those are usually qualities/skills I attribute to NFPs, but I maintain that NTPs can help people more effectively, affect social change, and everything else NFPs are known for (except crying).

So I ask you, what is something that the NFPs can do better than the NTPs? Also, prove it; if you can think of something, let's create a contest and see who does better.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Feelings. Understanding feelings. Helping others understand their feelings.

Being socially and interpersonally inclined.

Joining the peacecorp.

Getting "in touch with themselves"

I have never generally heard the social skills your attributing to NTP's be generally attributed to NTP's, btw. ENTP are talked upped pretty well though, especially as entrepreneurs and "idea people."

G

garbage

You hear constant talk from NTPs on this forum about how they just can't seem to find the right psychological distance with people. From the extroverted variety, you'll also hear about how, in group settings, they often blurt out the first thing that comes to mind without considering the group first.

Also, the whole "preference != skill" thing.

Can I please re-join the NF team, just for this contest? This thread shames me into wanting to disown the NT label.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NTPs are highly intuitive and perceptive. They're good at reading people and situations and even better at finding solutions. That also puts them in the running for good listeners because they know when to listen and how.

Those are usually qualities/skills I attribute to NFPs, but I maintain that NTPs can help people more effectively, affect social change, and everything else NFPs are known for (except crying).

So I ask you, what is something that the NFPs can do better than the NTPs? Also, prove it; if you can think of something, let's create a contest and see who does better.

okay, you asked for it :laugh:
1) fighting passionately for their convictions (Joan of Arc)
2) appreciation of art and beauty (large number of NFP artists, performers and musicians)
3) seducing the opposite sex (Casanova)
4) better fashion sense overall (large number of NFP fashion designers)
5) inspiring people (
6) knowing one's self (Fi deals with this thoroughly)
7) musical performance (disproportional number of NFP singers)
8) a more indivualistic set of values (again, Fi as opposed to Fe group values)
9) better F/T balance (can't prove this one, just observation)
10) better with children and pets (personal experience and observation. can't exactly prove this one either)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
they're better at refraining from making obnoxious competitive self-congratulatory threads such as this one

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've found through casusal observations that NTP's tend to rely too much on logic as opposed to NFP's who have greater emotional maturity. Also, Fi possess a greater sense of conviction and resolve than Ti ever could, Fi generates a greater emotiona lresponse and will act of it, Ti will just sit and analyze something to death all day.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've found through casusal observations that NTP's tend to rely too much on logic as opposed to NFP's who have greater emotional maturity. Also, Fi possess a greater sense of conviction and resolve than Ti ever could, Fi generates a greater emotiona lresponse and will act of it, Ti will just sit and analyze something to death all day.
:yes: +10

they're better at refraining from making obnoxious competitive self-congratulatory threads such as this one
I think this thread is meant as a friendly competition. if anything though, I think NFPs are actually worse about this :laugh:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think this thread is meant as a friendly competition. if anything though, I think NFPs are actually worse about this :laugh:

I, for one, have never seen an NFP start a thread like this.

I've also never seen an NFP act quite like SimulatedWorld (famous ENTP ex-forum member).

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
edited for moar. :yes:

- calmly and kindly present the opposite side of a debate topic they take a clear stance on

a major weakness of NTPs, ime, is their inability to deal neutrally with issues they have strong opinions about. they are quick to put down and quick to shut out those who do not agree with them.

- deal equally with people who are less mentally quick

the NTPs i know tend to have a "mental standard" you are expected to meet, or they do not deign that you are worth their time. or, at the very least, they will treat them quite differently than the people they consider to be up to their standards.

- cover up their frustration

i can feel an angry NTP from 2 rooms away. my NTP family members will come in steaming and storming and growling and snappy and wonder why i look upset. hello? you're acting like an angry boar, and you're wondering why i look a little thrown off balance?

- understand how their emotions are affecting others

along the same lines, i don't think NTPs are particularly adept at understanding emotions, because much of their skill is in making decisions without emotional influence. unfortunately, they seem to forget that others are impacted by their emotions, even if they are not.

- compliment others

seriously it's like getting blood from a stone.

- smile genuinely when they are displeased

i said genuinely, ENTPs, stop smirking.

- not cry when someone completely dismantles one of their pet theories ;)

as for a challenge, if we were together in person, i would stage this competition:

- given 5 minutes to talk 1-on-1, who makes (test subject) feel more understood?

i think that given the sheer range of intragroup difference, there will be many NTPs who can perform up to the strengths of NFPs. by the same token, there will be many NFPs who can perform up to the strengths of NTPs. our personality types are a preference, after all, not a capacity. they make us more statistically likely to be better at certain things, but they do not guarantee any results.

ThatsWhatHeSaid said:
NTPs can help people more effectively

since you're requesting proof (by which i assume you mean examples, because there's no way we can actually prove these things) from us, i would ask for "proof" of this from you.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- deal with people who are less mentally quick

- calmly and kindly present the opposite side of a debate topic they take a clear stance on

- cover up their frustration

- deal with rules they dislike

- compliment others

- not cry when someone completely dismantles one of their pet theories ;)

as for a challenge, if we were together in person, i would stage this competition:

- given 5 minutes to talk 1-on-1, who makes (test subject) feel more understood?

spot on :yes:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yes, so the NTPs win at having some fun :yes:

can we add "humility" to the list

Yes, that can go to the NF side.

And also this.

The NFPs also have us beat overall with integrating emotion and analysis. They're a lot better at taking those kinds of things seriously. And they are better at keeping things calm and not exploding.

Indeed. We still win at playful debate ;)

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Luna Luminosity
The NFPs also have us beat overall with integrating emotion and analysis. They're a lot better at taking those kinds of things seriously.

Very true, Fi gives us better use of our innereomtions, but NTP's have a level of internal logic that no one else has.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Feelings. Understanding feelings. Helping others understand their feelings.

I disagree. I think NTPs are better at this.

Being socially and interpersonally inclined.

It depends on the quality of interpersonal relationship. I would posit that an NTP would thrive in an authentic relationship whereas an NFP would do better in an inauthentic relationship.

Joining the peacecorp.

That's not really a skill.

Getting "in touch with themselves"

This is easy to say but not easy to really understand or prove. In my experience, this isn't the case. The NFPs that I know think they know themselves, and say they do, but I question whether they really do.

If you can think of a test for any of these, we should but the Fs and Ts to the test.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
An NTP would do better in an authentic relationship and an NFP would do better in an inauthentic relationship? :wacko:

I'm not even sure what you're talking about anyway. All I see is "look at me, look at me" narcissism, par usual.

Carry on, blatantly ignoring that functional attitudes don't determine overt behaviors.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You hear constant talk from NTPs on this forum about how they just can't seem to find the right psychological distance with people. From the extroverted variety, you'll also hear about how, in group settings, they often blurt out the first thing that comes to mind without considering the group first.

Also, the whole "preference != skill" thing.

Can I please re-join the NF team, just for this contest? This thread shames me into wanting to disown the NT label.

NTPs don't blurt things out because they're compelled to. They do it because they don't see the advantage to holding back. It's not that they CAN'T consider other people's feelings--they can--it's just that they don't care. I'd bet that if NTPs tried to hold the group together, they could do a better job than NFPs, ergo, they possess more skill, albeit less motivation to demonstrate the skill.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree. I think NTPs are better at this.

It depends on the quality of interpersonal relationship. I would posit that an NTP would thrive in an authentic relationship whereas an NFP would do better in an inauthentic relationship.

That's not really a skill.

This is easy to say but not easy to really understand or prove. In my experience, this isn't the case. The NFPs that I know think they know themselves, and say they do, but I question whether they really do.

If you can think of a test for any of these, we should but the Fs and Ts to the test.

bold: HELL no lol
you have us confused with NFJ politicians

underlined: it's hard to prove because it's feeling, which is by it's very nature subjective, especially introverted feeling, which is the function most closely connected with the subconscious

that leads me to my next point on NFP pwnage: not having to sit around proving everything :laugh: