• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What can NFPs do that NTPs can't do better?

Noon

BwaDZ.gif

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you know your type?

Ah oops. Well sort of. I'm pretty sure of NTP but this thread might drive me over to the E-side :tongue:

He didn't give any rational basis or explanation for his claims, and bologna has already so kindly pointed that out.

It's called starting with a theory and then getting ideas from other people about it. This isn't about any serious claims of NTP superiority. That's a bunch of nonsense of course.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
These posts are not of the flavor, "I blurt things out and I just don't give a damn"; they're of the flavor, "I blurt things out and I regret having done so. whoops"

If you're confident in your claims, then back them up with some actual logic. Or evidence. Or something. And come up with some tests yourself.

If you're not going to try, nobody here should waste their time trying to convince you.

Well aren't you fun?

Go away

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- NTPs miss things for years until they can objectively quantify them. the NFP on the other hand knew it from the get go and capitalized on the thing the ENTP was overly critical of
- NFPs know they can't objectively quantify everything
- to answer one of your previous questions a little more thoroughly, knowing one's self is advantageous because it allows one to know what he really wants and therefore allows him to be happier and more successful overall

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's called starting with a theory and then getting ideas from other people about it. This isn't about any serious claims of NTP superiority. That's a bunch of nonsense of course.

I know what he's doing. I've noted a pattern in his behavior. That's why he's not responding to me. He has me on ignore.

Have a nice day, Luna, I know you mean well, but I know what he's doing.

*exits silly thread*

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
- cover up their frustration

i can feel an angry NTP from 2 rooms away. my NTP family members will come in steaming and storming and growling and snappy and wonder why i look upset. hello? you're acting like an angry boar, and you're wondering why i look a little thrown off balance?

Yes, you've totally got us on that one....

- smile genuinely when they are displeased

i said genuinely, ENTPs, stop smirking.

Darn it, so close! :laugh: NFPs are also better at seeing through the internet to other people...

- not cry when someone completely dismantles one of their pet theories ;)

Sadly true :cry:

as for a challenge, if we were together in person, i would stage this competition:

- given 5 minutes to talk 1-on-1, who makes (test subject) feel more understood?

:yes:

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
- NFPs know they can't objectively quantify everything
Well, we TRY at least.

- to answer one of your previous questions a little more thoroughly, knowing one's self is advantageous because it allows one to know what he really wants and therefore allows him to be happier and more successful overall

Isn't it more advantageous to not know who you are, so you can be anyone you want?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
okay, you asked for it :laugh:
1) fighting passionately for their convictions (Joan of Arc)
2) appreciation of art and beauty (large number of NFP artists, performers and musicians)
3) seducing the opposite sex (Casanova)
4) better fashion sense overall (large number of NFP fashion designers)
5) inspiring people (
6) knowing one's self (Fi deals with this thoroughly)
7) musical performance (disproportional number of NFP singers)
8) a more indivualistic set of values (again, Fi as opposed to Fe group values)
9) better F/T balance (can't prove this one, just observation)
10) better with children and pets (personal experience and observation. can't exactly prove this one either)

2) i think it might be true if you only compared ENFP and INFP to ENTP, but i wouldnt say that NFPs have generally more appreciation for art than INTPs. from my observation NFPs are into art more on surface level than INTPs who really want to dig deep into things they like.
3) ENP thing vs INP thing, not NFP vs NTP
6) at least INTPs can be really good at knowing themselves, more so than ENFPs usually are. NFP knowing of self seems(to me) to be usually more of like knowing what they like, how they feel about something etc, while INTP knowing of self is more psychological knowledge of self, how their own psyche works in more rational level. dunno about ENTPs much, but i bet ENFPs are better at this than ENTPs. i dont think there is much overall difference between NFP and NTP on this one, because both can be good at this on surface level or at deeper level.
7) actually i think NTPs are bit better at this, NTP music seems to be better on technical level, so when talking about good musical performance its about being able to perform technically challenging stuff perfectly. but usually NFPs tend to be bit better at writing songs that really touch people and are good in that sort of way, but thats not really musical performance

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Better typologists...?

Isabel Myers (INFP) took the 8 Jungian* cognitive functions, observed people around her, and came up with the MBTI. Pretty impressive, and not unrelated to Fi vs. Ti, I'd say. She used Fi to get inside the head of people very different from herself and extrapolated patterns with Ne.

Keirsey (INTP) then noticed that her SJs and her SPs were more similar than her STs and SFs, but that was also based on previous four-fold typologies. And he is too simplistic and schematic, wanting people to conform to his system more than they do, whereas Myers is more fluid and nuanced. I'm much more impressed by Gifts Differing than I am by Please Understand Me.

I am also impressed by Karen Horney (INFP) who, like Myers, observed people and figured out a meaningful typology.

I'm not saying that I refuse to believe that NTPs could typologize just as well if they put their mind to it; I am just not aware of examples.

* Before someone mentions that Jung identified as INTP, let me state for the record that I believe him to be an INFJ.

---

Also, better fiction writers...?

Obviously this is a matter of taste (and I share Fi and Te with the NFPs), but personally I took less pleasure in reading Orwell (ENTP) and Kafka (INTP) than Mark Twain (ENFP) and Shakespeare (INFP), and if I had to forgo a reading experience, I think I'd rather erase xkcd (INTP cartoonist) from my memory than Calvin and Hobbes (INFP cartoonist).

(FYI I'm not totally partial to the NFPs. When it comes to comedy, I gotta go for the cold wit of the NTPs over the silliness of the NFPs. I'm hard pressed to think of an ENFP comedian I prefer to just about any ENTP comedian.)

And I can't even come up with any NTP poets to compare with Blake (INFP) and others.

---

Finally, how about better actors...?

Even when they play variations of themselves, NFPs strike me as having better projection of emotion whereas NTPs are more wooden. Johnny Depp (INFP) vs. Sigourney Weaver (INTP). Robin Williams (ENFP) vs. Sacha Baron Cohen (ENTP).

---

Just my two cents (as the INFPs would say). :)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
* Before someone mentions that Jung identified as INTP, let me state for the record that I believe him to be an INFJ.

you belief about his type means nothing because people who knew him said that he was an INTP. he didnt say his own type on his interviews, but he say few things about himself and said that what he said is enough for people who know the typology to give him a diagnosis from his words. he said something like rational/logical, not in tune with feeling matters of self or other people, introverted and something that described Ji instead of Je. and something else clearly referring to an INTP.

ps. horneys concept of neurotic coping strategies isnt really a topology, they are just coping strategies, you could compare it to jungs work of complexes.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
ps. horneys concept of neurotic coping strategies isnt really a topology, they are just coping strategies

She identifies three strategies and says everyone leads with one: When pressured in conflict, one tends to either disengage (Withdrawn), go on the offensive (Aggressive) or submit (Compliant). That's a three-fold typology in my book, and one that I find a useful supplement to MBTI.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If superpowers were real, NFPs would have better ones.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You haven't proven any of them!
No one has proven anything on this thread, except that both NFPs and NTPs are good at making giant blanket statements without backing them up.

Also, the question in the OP has already been answered, but things are still keeping on keepin' on... so I think a better title for this thread would be "Who's Better: NFP or NTP? I won't quit until I win." Which is pointless, honestly. Hasn't it been proven time and time again that there is no such thing as type superiority? I understand comparing/contrasting skills - which was happening here for a little while (even though none of it was "proven" per se) - but I don't get what's happening under the surface.

Sigh. :dont: Whatever.

Chloe

NTPs I know dont understand deep psychological problems in ppl so they cant help them in that field as much as nfp can

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
NTPs are highly intuitive and perceptive. They're good at reading people and situations and even better at finding solutions. That also puts them in the running for good listeners because they know when to listen and how.

Those are usually qualities/skills I attribute to NFPs, but I maintain that NTPs can help people more effectively, affect social change, and everything else NFPs are known for (except crying).

So I ask you, what is something that the NFPs can do better than the NTPs? Also, prove it; if you can think of something, let's create a contest and see who does better.

What are you really asking here? Trying to place yourself within the context of your own type? Maybe you are an NFP but are in denial... :laugh:

And since you are the person drawing conclusions - let's see your premises.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure if anyone has said this already but i imaging nfp's would be better at Idealising since nfp's tend to be more idealist versus the ntp's realism. Although i think again it's a generalisation.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
-admitting our faults
-not being an asshole

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Frankly, the OP is just cheer-leading for a specific type. No facts, no studies, no objective data, just subjective judgments.

Ergo, troll. As has been mentioned several times in this thread. It's been done before. Be more original.

Fail. Go back to your hole and make sacrifices to your Dark Lord, eat bugs, or whatever makes you feel better about yourself.