• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What can NFPs do that NTPs can't do better?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm going to play devil's advocate because of the few ENTPs in this game and say that ENTPs seem to be better at getting along with SPs

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Successful_Troll.jpg

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We'd probably make slightly more acessible parents. Come on admit it, it would be cool to have a stereotypically ENFP mum.

G

garbage

NTPs don't blurt things out because they're compelled to. They do it because they don't see the advantage to holding back. It's not that they CAN'T consider other people's feelings--they can--it's just that they don't care. I'd bet that if NTPs tried to hold the group together, they could do a better job than NFPs, ergo, they possess more skill, albeit less motivation to demonstrate the skill.

These posts are not of the flavor, "I blurt things out and I just don't give a damn"; they're of the flavor, "I blurt things out and I regret having done so. whoops"

If you're confident in your claims, then back them up with some actual logic. Or evidence. Or something. And come up with some tests yourself.

If you're not going to try, nobody here should waste their time trying to convince you.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would posit that an NTP would thrive in an authentic relationship whereas an NFP would do better in an inauthentic relationship.

Fi is all about authenticity. what makes you assume than an NFP would thrive in an inauthentic relationship? Fi seeks and evaluates internal congruence like Ti. i would agree that an NFP could tolerate it better, though probably not for long, but thrive is a huge jump.

i don't think anyone does well in an inauthentic relationship, honestly. unless it's clear from the get-go that it's a relationship of convenience, in which case someone not seeking mutual support and understanding from the person in question would do well.

In my experience, this isn't the case. The NFPs that I know think they know themselves, and say they do, but I question whether they really do.

if you're judging us based on Ti understanding, then no, but if on Fi understanding, we win. we understand the dark emotional corners of our inner selves, have you explored those in yourself? do you use your understanding and acceptance of your darkness to empathize with others in pain? can you look at another person and see yourself mirrored in them, and them mirrored in yourself? can you find someone who is hurting and make them feel comfortable and accepted and can you get them to reengage with their passion, their light, their spark? can you help someone appreciate themself for just being and all the wonderful incredible things that entails? can you stir the minutiae of the soul?

(and can you paint with all the colors of the wind?!) :laugh:

Joining the peacecorp

:rofl1:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Carry on, blatantly ignoring that functional attitudes don't determine overt behaviors.

^ To an extent, yes, the whole competition concept is flawed because the types are not about strengths or behaviors.

But it is very difficult to discuss types without straying into the realm of strengths.

Also, NTPs are better at not shouting "troll!" at any debating/competing thread...

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) NFPs are better at discussing a topic with the intention of coming to the right conclusion as opposed to "winning"
2) NFPs are better at working together to get results (although some like myself prefer not to if they can afford to do so)
3) NFPs are usually better liked (observation, I actually like this about NTPs though. I think it's way more bad ass to NOT be liked and have a bunch of haters :cool:)
4) NFPs are generally more charismatic (the countless number of ENFP actors//performers/figureheads)
5) NFPs are more sophisticated (although NTPs are sometimes quite sophisticated too)

A

A window to the soul

Drama and "I have no idea what you're talking about, I'm innocent."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
^ To an extent, yes, the whole competition concept is flawed because the types are not about strengths or behaviors.

But it is very difficult to discuss types without straying into the realm of strengths.

Also, NTPs are better at not shouting "troll!" at any debating/competing thread...

But he is trolling.

Or maybe he just didn't take his medication today.

He didn't give any rational basis or explanation for his claims, and bologna has already so kindly pointed that out.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
NTPs are better at trolling, have to give it to you guys. you're funnier about it.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
more devil's advocacy
-NTPs are easier to be honest with. I can't stand the way some Fs get offended by things without understanding what the person was really talking about (although is is more prevelant in FJs than FPs)
- NTPs are good with technical stuff. NFPs are like "what the fuck is this thing?!"
- similarly, NTPs DOMINATE the internet marketplace

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
okay, you asked for it :laugh:
1) fighting passionately for their convictions (Joan of Arc)

So what exactly is the skill here? Affecting change? I'm not sure passionate fighting is a good tool for that. I would bet that most if not all the NFPs that you're thinking about got executed or assassinated. Amirite?

2) appreciation of art and beauty (large number of NFP artists, performers and musicians)

Your examples are of people who create art rather than appreciate art, and even then, we could get into a debate about whether they're really making art or just hanging up urinals. But let's say you were talking about "sensitivity to art." I'm not sure NFPs will win that, and, it's very hard to quantify, if not define. If you want to try, go for it.

3) seducing the opposite sex (Casanova)

Nah. NTPs will seduce you slowly and for years to come. NFPs will seduce you faster, but you'll get over it sooner when you start getting tired of their obsessions and habits.

4) better fashion sense overall (large number of NFP fashion designers)

Male or female? This might be determined by gender rather than personality.

5) inspiring people (

They may just be inspiring people who are similar to them who share their values, in which case they're not really inspiring at all, just calling attention to what the people already believe. It's more impressive to inspire someone who doesn't already think like you do. I'm too tired to think of examples, but I don't think NFs have won here.

6) knowing one's self (Fi deals with this thoroughly)

Complex subject, but I think it's a tie at best.

7) musical performance (disproportional number of NFP singers)

Says who? What about quality? How is this different from artistic appreciations, above?

8) a more indivualistic set of values (again, Fi as opposed to Fe group values)

Disagree. A mature NTP will have his values worked out. It's not as rare as you think.

9) better F/T balance (can't prove this one, just observation)

You haven't proven any of them!

10) better with children and pets (personal experience and observation. can't exactly prove this one either)

Bullshit, I'm the fucking dog whisperer.

A

A window to the soul

On a serious note, I think NFPs do love and affection better than NTPs.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
back to ENFP side
- NFPs have the Ne-Te loop which gathers tons of information, makes millions of connections, and then acts decisively with point-point-point-point etc. I liken it to a bouncing fireball that is precisely aimed and quickly takes out an army of soldiers 1 at a time
- NFPs are more snuggly :hug:
- NFPs are the most versatile in career path of any type
- NFPs are better at getting things without having to have things painstakenly objectively explained for hours (NTJs have this weakness too. brilliant, but having to spend hours verifying everything before they get it)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what exactly is the skill here? Affecting change? I'm not sure passionate fighting is a good tool for that. I would bet that most if not all the NFPs that you're thinking about got executed or assassinated. Amirite?

Your examples are of people who create art rather than appreciate art, and even then, we could get into a debate about whether they're really making art or just hanging up urinals. But let's say you were talking about "sensitivity to art." I'm not sure NFPs will win that, and, it's very hard to quantify, if not define. If you want to try, go for it.

Nah. NTPs will seduce you slowly and for years to come. NFPs will seduce you faster, but you'll get over it sooner when you start getting tired of their obsessions and habits.

Male or female? This might be determined by gender rather than personality.

They may just be inspiring people who are similar to them who share their values, in which case they're not really inspiring at all, just calling attention to what the people already believe. It's more impressive to inspire someone who doesn't already think like you do. I'm too tired to think of examples, but I don't think NFs have won here.

Complex subject, but I think it's a tie at best.

Says who? What about quality? How is this different from artistic appreciations, above?

Disagree. A mature NTP will have his values worked out. It's not as rare as you think.
You haven't proven any of them!

Bullshit, I'm the fucking dog whisperer.

underlined: this is a myth about ENFPs. we're wonderful long term partners and stay sexy till we die :newwink:

bold: this is true, but NFPs have their values worked out most of the time by the time they're 20. overall, NFPs beat everyone in this arena by a miles

bold and underlined: not true. ENFPs inspire people to do crazy things that they normally would never dream of

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
edited for moar. :yes:

- calmly and kindly present the opposite side of a debate topic they take a clear stance on

a major weakness of NTPs, ime, is their inability to deal neutrally with issues they have strong opinions about. they are quick to put down and quick to shut out those who do not agree with them.

We don't need a competition for this. Yer wrong. NTPs are better at staying cool and focusing on facts.

- deal equally with people who are less mentally quick

the NTPs i know tend to have a "mental standard" you are expected to meet, or they do not deign that you are worth their time. or, at the very least, they will treat them quite differently than the people they consider to be up to their standards.

This is a skill?

- cover up their frustration

i can feel an angry NTP from 2 rooms away. my NTP family members will come in steaming and storming and growling and snappy and wonder why i look upset. hello? you're acting like an angry boar, and you're wondering why i look a little thrown off balance?

- understand how their emotions are affecting others

along the same lines, i don't think NTPs are particularly adept at understanding emotions, because much of their skill is in making decisions without emotional influence. unfortunately, they seem to forget that others are impacted by their emotions, even if they are not.

BS. NTPs can do this with their observations. Challenge.

- compliment others

seriously it's like getting blood from a stone.

True, but when we give a compliment, it's genuine, well-thought out, and meaningful. Quality > quantity, baby

- smile genuinely when they are displeased

i said genuinely, ENTPs, stop smirking.

So repress their emotions? Okay, you can have that one.

- not cry when someone completely dismantles one of their pet theories ;)

That's because you don't have pet theories, duh. (Winning.)

as for a challenge, if we were together in person, i would stage this competition:

- given 5 minutes to talk 1-on-1, who makes (test subject) feel more understood?

i think that given the sheer range of intragroup difference, there will be many NTPs who can perform up to the strengths of NFPs. by the same token, there will be many NFPs who can perform up to the strengths of NTPs. our personality types are a preference, after all, not a capacity. they make us more statistically likely to be better at certain things, but they do not guarantee any results.

since you're requesting proof (by which i assume you mean examples, because there's no way we can actually prove these things) from us, i would ask for "proof" of this from you.

Perfect, but we need a few subjects, not just one. So we're testing who can make someone feel understood moar better?