• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tertiary+Inferior=Rebel Functions?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was wondering if it might work out to describe the tertiary and inferior functions as those which are used somewhat often but are the most consciously rebelled against.

For example:

INTP/ENTP=SiFe/FeSi=rebelling from past experience and connecting with others
INFP/ENFP=SiTe/TeSi=rebelling from past experience and organizing
ISTP/ESTP=NiFe/FeNi=rebelling from the forseen and from connecting with others
ISFP/ESFP=NiTe/TeNi=rebelling from the forseen and the organized
INTJ/ENTJ=FiSe/SeFi=rebelling from considering worth and the immediate context
INFJ/ENFJ=TiSe/SeTi=rebelling from analyzing and from the immediate context
ISTJ/ESTJ=FiNe/NeFi=rebelling from considering worth and from the possible meanings
ISFJ/ESFJ=TiNe/NeTi=rebelling from analyzing and from the possible meanings

So then, a common attitude for someone who is NTP would be that what is done is done, and to come up with the new and resist conformity. But at the same time, to go with the new is to build upon the past, and also doing so helps the NTP connect to people. But then someone who is NFP would be less likely to rebel in harmonizing and more likely to rebel against systemizing and such.

(Yes, the way I'm describing the functions here is probably oversimplified, but writing a paragraph on each one here would take too long...)

Does this way of looking at it work for anyone?

Anything that I should add or tear apart completely?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Looks like there may be something to that.
The tertiary and inferior are usually "immature", and connected with the child and inferior complexes. So those may manifest like that.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"INFP/ENFP=SiTe/TeSi=rebelling from past experience and organizing"

This is really interesting and holds true for me!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I would definitely say I've rebelled from past experience and organizing.

Makes sense. I've rebelled against other people's "systems" for most of my life, and in terms of past experience, I think this is the source of my "running."

I remember as an 18 year old looking around my grandparents nice little neighborhood in NC and being like, "this is not a place for a person like me."

I also eventually began to feel that way about West Virginia when I went back there.

In fact, I remember completely RESISTING going to WV at all between the ages of 12-17. Like "no no I won't go back there!"

Weird stuff, because my early childhood memories are pretty pleasant, especially the formative years.

I came to terms with Te first, much earlier than Si.

I've only come to terms with Si and learned to appreciate my past, I think, since my late twenties.

Then I like dwelled in it, which was weird. Running running running *dwell* ...run again.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do think we become more "integrated" as we grow older though - my past is MUCH more integrated with my present than it was ten years ago.

And I'm much more capable of staying put, and wanting to stay put than I did when I was very young.

Integration is really a wonderful thing. I was aware of it as it was happening, except now I actually have terms for it as "Te" and "Si."

At the time it just felt like finally becoming whole or really beginning to mature.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i thought that was some common knowledge about mbti :D

its bit more complicated tho. i should write about this more, i have pretty much included this for my whole understanding about MBTI

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
pretty good. imo. i like it. however, i would venture to say critical parent and opposing suit it in my case. in my case and only my case i only pull the FE card when a moment is worthy enough to phake like normal everyday dude to be able to sneak an unforeseen angle on the table of touchy conversation. i'll only pull the NI card to keep my spirit in my care when my karma alarm goes off due to it being, perhaps, compromised by external animate influence.

KDude

Te as organizing barely plays a part in my life productively. I indulge in it on an informational sense though.. reinforcing and checking Fi with facts, so to speak. I don't care to be too subjective or idealistic to the point of massive disconnect with reality.. or something. At the same time, I see Te itself as subjective construct of "do's and don'ts" itself. Codified behaviors and methods developed over time in society. A lot of it has nothing to do with reality, per se. Just one perspective of it (a lot of it might be tied to collective Si too). What society unconsciously determined what was efficient and most productive to get from point A-to-B. It's necessary for Ne to inform more possibilities and creativity than that. It's necessary for Fi to point out who's been left on the sidelines. I neither want to duck my head under the covers and harmonize with it or adapt it's own methods for myself. I want to work with it somehow, but I'm not always sure how.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now that I think of it, much of my nostalgia ("relief Si") is about a desire to redo the past to eliminate the negative memories, yet keep the trappings of the good ones. Especially regarding other people. (Like a lot of stuff about my old neighborhood, and a good number of my dreams seem to be connected to this). I've actually been aware of this for a long time.
So that would definitely sound like SiFe "rebelling from past experience and connecting with others".

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Te as organizing barely plays a part in my life productively. I indulge in it on an informational sense though.. reinforcing and checking Fi with facts, so to speak. I don't care to be too subjective or idealistic to the point of massive disconnect with reality.. or something. At the same time, I see Te itself as subjective construct of "do's and don'ts" itself. Codified behaviors and methods developed over time in society. A lot of it has nothing to do with reality, per se. Just one perspective of it (a lot of it might be tied to collective Si too). What society unconsciously determined what was efficient and most productive to get from point A-to-B. It's necessary for Ne to inform more possibilities and creativity than that. It's necessary for Fi to point out who's been left on the sidelines. I neither want to duck my head under the covers and harmonize with it or adapt it's own methods for myself. I want to work with it somehow, but I'm not always sure how.

tert is more for dont do's than inferior. iferior is even more on the unconscious than tert, so it might be hard to notice it, but its suppressed more because its the function thats the opposite of your dom function(Fi-Te, Ne-Si, Ti-Fe etc.). example for Si rejecting(or what op called rebelling) would be that past experiences(or impressions of past experiences) are haunting and you concentrate too much on not getting on situations that seem like they could give you the same sort of negative impressions that are similar to something in the past. now this can happen to ENXPs and INXPs, but it happens bit differently on I and E, because with ENXPs the Si is inferior and having less effect on the conscious thinking, they are more prone on doing the same mistakes again. except ofc when the past experience is something so big that it really got to them, then it will have even bigger effect, because if the ENXP starts to concentrate on inferior introverting, it will take all their energy faster than that does on INXP. its like INXPs do it more, but also have more control over it. when the Si is aux function, the person has more conscious kind of bond with the function and it seems less disturbing and has more positive than negative sides on it.

ofc tert function can be used for good things too, but it also has this negative side. its same as if an ENTP gets pissed off and he starts to reject new information according to Fe, but his Fe in this situation is pretty stupid and makes snap judgments, turns the ENTP to seem like a pissed off J. ENFPs do this with Te, etc etc

ill continue later

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was wondering if it might work out to describe the tertiary and inferior functions as those which are used somewhat often but are the most consciously rebelled against.

For example:
INFJ/ENFJ=TiSe/SeTi=rebelling from analyzing and from the immediate context
(Yes, the way I'm describing the functions here is probably oversimplified, but writing a paragraph on each one here would take too long...)

Does this way of looking at it work for anyone?

Anything that I should add or tear apart completely?

Wow. Yeah, it's a totally rebellious state of mind. I can relate to this immature use of the weaker functions.

When I become too overwhelmed and need to check out of present circumstances because I feel like I'm mentally/emotionally drowning, I may do any number of the following:

-call things like I see them to the point of obnoxiousness: bluntness
-drink (rarity)
-buy and smoke a cigar (rarity)... I also get powerful urges to smoke cigarettes (but I refuse to do this however, addiction is too risky)
-try to convince others to go to an amusement park with me so that I can hop on every pant-crapping rollercoaster in the park
-try to convince others to go to the batting cages with me (hilarious as I am sports-retarded) or go-karting, or amateur racing etc.
-drive a lot... and waaaaaaaaaaay too fast
-ask my father to take me motorcyling (won't have to once I get my own! :) )
-exercise till I drop
-dance till I drop
-obsess over getting my hands on one of my favorite carnival foods of choice
-want to lose myself in sex (which I don't get to do because I refuse to do it outside of a meaningful relationship, so this causes me CONSIDERABLE sexual frustration and fuels the sensory rampage in other divergent directions which leads me to the next two...)
-feel like brawling for no apparent reason (so far have never succumbed to this) or doing something extremely physically challenging
-swear excessively, behave recklessly, and may become verbally combative (because I will not allow myself to become physically combative)

Good times!

This all sounds very negative, but the truth is I am capable of accessing this part of myself productively and beneficially without necessarily nose-diving myself into oblivion. However, when I am in an unhealthy state of mind, the difference will show.

Pro-tip: if you see an INFJ in this kamikaze state --F*CKING RUN.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
one thing. tert function seems to be the function that is used for finding excuses for not doing something that the function earlier said is not a good idea(bad past mistakes(Si), things look dodgy and/or unpleasant(Se), after logical deduction it just seems logical things to go bad(Ti), or some N hunches of things going to hell etc etc). inferior is used for this too, but on bigger things and less often(as it needs more energy investments). tert does this all the time, actually more than people usually notice in themselves, because its rather unconscious function.

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
There is a push/pull when it comes to Si/Fe

Si - I like the safety of a boringly, conventional lifestyle but get tired of mindless conformity
Fe - There is this wannabe NFJ inside of me that keeps trying to impress the world with my warmth and wisdom. My efforts often always fall short

Rebellion takes the form of misogynistic behavior. I will reject others before they have a chance to reject me