• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The type with the most Emotional Intelligence

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
On the trail of the "smartest" thread, which type do you think has the most Emotional Intelligence (EQ vs. IQ)?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
EQ said:
The model claims that EI includes four types of abilities:

Perceiving emotions – the ability to detect and decipher emotions in faces, pictures, voices, and cultural artifacts—including the ability to identify one's own emotions. Perceiving emotions represents a basic aspect of emotional intelligence, as it makes all other processing of emotional information possible.

Using emotions – the ability to harness emotions to facilitate various cognitive activities, such as thinking and problem solving. The emotionally intelligent person can capitalize fully upon his or her changing moods in order to best fit the task at hand.

Understanding emotions – the ability to comprehend emotion language and to appreciate complicated relationships among emotions. For example, understanding emotions encompasses the ability to be sensitive to slight variations between emotions, and the ability to recognize and describe how emotions evolve over time.

Managing emotions – the ability to regulate emotions in both ourselves and in others. Therefore, the emotionally intelligent person can harness emotions, even negative ones, and manage them to achieve intended goals.

Fi doms probably win 1 and 3 but i don't know how they stack up in 2 and 4.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) ENFJ
2) ENFP
3) INFJ
4) INFP
NFs win this one by a long shot :laugh:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFJ > ESTP, followed by ESFJ, INFJ, ESFP, ENTP, ENTJ.

1) ENFJ
2) ENFP
3) INFJ
4) INFP
NFs win this one by a long shot :laugh:
Not even close. EQ is more of an Fe thing than just F -- and Se types are better than Ne types anyway. The function breakdown is something like Fe > Se > Ni > Fi > Ne > Ti > Si > Te.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
he model claims that EI includes four types of abilities:

Perceiving emotions – the ability to detect and decipher emotions in faces, pictures, voices, and cultural artifacts—including the ability to identify one's own emotions. Perceiving emotions represents a basic aspect of emotional intelligence, as it makes all other processing of emotional information possible.

Using emotions – the ability to harness emotions to facilitate various cognitive activities, such as thinking and problem solving. The emotionally intelligent person can capitalize fully upon his or her changing moods in order to best fit the task at hand.

Understanding emotions – the ability to comprehend emotion language and to appreciate complicated relationships among emotions. For example, understanding emotions encompasses the ability to be sensitive to slight variations between emotions, and the ability to recognize and describe how emotions evolve over time.

Managing emotions – the ability to regulate emotions in both ourselves and in others. Therefore, the emotionally intelligent person can harness emotions, even negative ones, and manage them to achieve intended goals.

Fi doms probably win 1 and 3 but i don't know how they stack up in 2 and 4.

I don't see an emotionally mature Fi-dom less adept at 2 & 4 than an emotionally mature Fe type. I have a feeling 2 & 4 is always harder for an immature Feeler....and 1 & 3 will be harder for the immature Thinker. I think EQ is a lot more of a maturity matter than IQ.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFJ > ESTP, followed by ESFJ, INFJ, ESFP, ENTP, ENTJ.

Not even close. EQ is more of an Fe thing than just F -- and Se types are better than Ne types anyway. The function breakdown is something like Fe > Se > Ni > Fi > Ne > Ti > Si > Te.

I disagree with this completely :laugh:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree with this completely :laugh:
Well, thank God otherwise this discussion would get very boring very quickly. ;)

Let's see... Fe is ethical focus based on external input, versus ethical focus on internal input (Fi). Further, Fe + Se types (NFJ/STP) focus on the ethical atmosphere based on present raw input (Se) and a flexible mindset (Ni), versus mapped input (Si) and possibilities (Ne). Ever wonder why the snake oil salesman stereotype is ESTP?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, thank God otherwise this discussion would get very boring very quickly. ;)

Let's see... Fe is ethical focus based on external input, versus ethical focus on internal input (Fi). Further, Fe + Se types (NFJ/STP) focus on the ethical atmosphere based on present raw input (Se) and a flexible mindset (Ni), versus mapped input (Si) and possibilities (Ne). Ever wonder why the snake oil salesman stereotype is ESTP?

I'm getting a migraine.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

bold: agreed (most people take disagreement way too friggin seriously lol)
emotional intelligence is about comprehending what someone feels and why. Feeling (more Fe but also Fi) is attuned to what the other person is feeling, but Ne and Ni are the why. NFs have an almost psychic ability to read people's true motivations and intentions and why they're feeling how they are. that being said, SPs also seem to have fairly high emotional intelligence, but NFs trump all at communicating and solving emotional problems.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lmao, Ns are not psychic. Intuition is an attitude focusing on the abstract, possibilities, ideas; and is less attuned to receiving raw data from the outer world -- thus is less adept at reading cues off people's behavior. Given that we don't make up for it by reading their minds, that puts us at a disadvantage when trying to size people up.

G

Glycerine

ESTJ FOR THE WIN. Actually, someone did post a study on the forum where the Te doms were the best at this and INFPs sucked at this type of thing (dead last). I am way to lazy too search for it.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thought I'd throw this in the mix.. It was a surprise to me..

"In a the recent issue of the Bulletin for Psychological Type (Vol. 29, No.3 2006), one of the authors, Henry “Dick” Thompson (2006, p. 18), reported on some of his research into EI and Type. Of the 5 personality types with the highest overall EQ score, three preferred Feeling and two preferred Thinking. In fact the top 2 were ENTJ and ESTJ ! (followed by ENFJ, ESFP, and ENFP). Of the 5 personality types with the lowest overall EQ score, three were Feeling types and two were Thinking types. And surprisingly, the bottom two were Feeling types: ISFJ and INFP! People looking for a correlation between EQ and Feeling won’t find it in Thompson’s research! About the only conclusion Thompson seemed willing to risk from this study was it appears that the EQ measures have a bias towards Extraversion.

Another authority of Personality Type, Elizabeth Murphy (2006, p. 26), reported on a study that found a correlation between dominant Intuition and high EI scores. Murphy noted that this same study, like Thompson's, found no relationship between EI and Feeling."

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lmao, Ns are not psychic

true, but NFs can seem like it. both intuition and feeling are highly subjective and near impossible to dublicate via observation. NFs can get on intimate terms with the other person's emotions extremely quickly.

G

Glycerine

"In a the recent issue of the Bulletin for Psychological Type (Vol. 29, No.3 2006), one of the authors, Henry “Dick” Thompson (2006, p. 18), reported on some of his research into EI and Type. Of the 5 personality types with the highest overall EQ score, three preferred Feeling and two preferred Thinking. In fact the top 2 were ENTJ and ESTJ ! (followed by ENFJ, ESFP, and ENFP). Of the 5 personality types with the lowest overall EQ score, three were Feeling types and two were Thinking types. And surprisingly, the bottom two were Feeling types: ISFJ and INFP! People looking for a correlation between EQ and Feeling won’t find it in Thompson’s research! About the only conclusion Thompson seemed willing to risk from this study was it appears that the EQ measures have a bias towards Extraversion.

Another authority of Personality Type, Elizabeth Murphy (2006, p. 26), reported on a study that found a correlation between dominant Intuition and high EI scores. Murphy noted that this same study, like Thompson's, found no relationship between EI and Feeling."

Thank you for finding that. We were on the same wavelength.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Interesting - it doesn't correlate with F or Fe. With that in mind, I wonder what exactly makes some types better at it than others, other than Extroversion... :huh:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
henry thompson's study
the EQ test used

Total EI
top 5: ENTJ, ESTJ, ENFJ, ESFP, ENFP
bottom 5: ISTP, INFJ, ISTJ, ISFJ, INFP

Self-Awareness
top 5: ENFJ, ENFP, ESFP, ESTJ, ESFJ
bottom 5: INFJ, INTP, ISTP, ISFJ, ISTJ

the extravert/introvert divide is surprising :huh:

also interesting:

My work with Type and EI over the years leads me to the following working hypotheses:

All attitudes, functions and function-attitudes are affected by emotions.
The Type-Emotion relationship is recursive.
Type mediates emotional action patterns.
Type mediates EI.
EI is innate in the way Type is innate.
EI is developing concomitantly with Type
Both Type and EI are dynamical systems and interact as such.
Type and EI are components within the same Human system and share a nonlinear relationship, such that each influences the development and use of the other.
In general, some Types are predisposed to have higher EI potential than others (Superman’s cape again).

So far, I have been presenting my models of Type and EI through the dynamical systems lens. Now a brief look at two other perspectives.

Pearman (2001) says that each Psychological Type develops interpersonal awareness and competence in different ways and that EI is related more to one’s overall development, not Type. He further elaborates by hypothesizing a relationship between the function-attitudes (mental processes) and the eight abilities of emotional intelligence proposed by some EI theorists. For a more detailed description of Pearman’s (2006) thoughts, see his article in this issue.

Maddocks (2004) takes the approach that EI is about managing our Type (personality) and not that some Types have more or less EI than others. He does believe, however, that it would be useful to identify patterns of differences among Types. More recently, he hypothesized the fit of the function-attitudes into his four-quadrant EI model, such that Si and Ni are about Self Awareness, Se and Ne are about Other Awareness, Ti and Fi are about Self Management and Te and Fe are about Relationship Management. For a more detailed description of Maddocks’s (2006) thoughts, see his article in this issue.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How is EQ typically measured? I've never taken an official EQ test, just an online one. Just going by that though, it seems to me that a large chunk of it is self-reporting, which makes sense for Te-doms to score well on. They tend to be over-confident in their abilities. You can also answer the question with the "right" answer, or truly based on how you feel. I don't see emotional dishonesty as being a higher EQ, and yet it could score you higher.... When I've taken the test, I always choose what is honest, even if takes my score down for supposedly being prone to depression or whatever. I know the "correct" answer though.

EQ is going to be largely related to social values in some ways also, which extroverts & Je types will often adhere to more, but are these really the superior standards or healthier attitudes? Many a Fi-dom will say "no", they need heavy revision and are rather shallow in many ways. I think its much harder to measure than IQ, because there's less of a clear right/wrong on a test.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm.... :thinking: I sort of assumed that EQ had to do with interpersonal intelligence (which, as is abundantly obvious, ENFJs and ESTPs have BY FAR the best time with). If it has to do with internal neuroticism, etc. then it'd make sense for Te-doms to get top scores on it.