• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The type with the most Emotional Intelligence

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How is EQ typically measured? I've never taken an official EQ test, just an online one. Just going by that though, it seems to me that a large chunk of it is self-reporting, which makes sense for Te-doms to score well on. They tend to be over-confident in their abilities. You can also answer the question with the "right" answer, or truly based on how you feel. I don't see emotional dishonesty as being a higher EQ, and yet it could score you higher.... When I've taken the test, I always choose what is honest, even if takes my score down for supposedly being prone to depression or whatever. I know the "correct" answer though.
Yeah, I took an online quiz I got a low score for the same reason. But what if a person is in complete denial about their emotions? Do they really deserve a high score for that? And just because they think they know what others are feeling doesn't mean they actually know.

Although, I do remember one test where you had to interpret scenarios and read facial expressions.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
admittedly, i really hate many of these psychometric tests. who cares who's better? if you're satisfied with your relationships, then don't worry; if you're not, consider working on your interpersonal competency. i understand scorings to show you where you're doing well and where you're not doing so well, but why turn it into a bizarre competition between types?
:shrug:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How is EQ typically measured? I've never taken an official EQ test, just an online one. Just going by that though, it seems to me that a large chunk of it is self-reporting, which makes sense for Te-doms to score well on. They tend to be over-confident in their abilities. You can also answer the question with the "right" answer, or truly based on how you feel. I don't see emotional dishonesty as being a higher EQ, and yet it could score you higher.... When I've taken the test, I always choose what is honest, even if takes my score down for supposedly being prone to depression or whatever. I know the "correct" answer though.

EQ is going to be largely related to social values in some ways also, which extroverts & Je types will often adhere to more, but are these really the superior standards or healthier attitudes? Many a Fi-dom will say "no", they need heavy revision and are rather shallow in many ways. I think its much harder to measure than IQ, because there's less of a clear right/wrong on a test.

so true. my ENTJ best friend thinks he's sensitive, empathetic and warm. :rofl1:

Edit: that being said, that's one thing I really like about ETJs. overconfidence is refreshing in a culture of increasing collectivism, low confidence and false humility. overconfident people may be a little dillusional at times, but they tend to get what they want, and I respect that in anyone

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that study is whack. INFPs and ISFJs are 2 of the MOST emotionally intelligent types, not the least. vice versa for ENTJs and ESTJs.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^I dunno. I'm good at solving, mediating other people's emotional issues, not so good at solving my own problems. I think it has quite alot to do with being quite self sacrificial, and squishing down my feelings and emotions , to deal with others people's first. I leave my "own issues" until they can't be ignored thus sometimes coming across as slightly emotionally immature (especially when I'm throwing my toys out of the cot.) So it doesn't really surprise me. I imagine ISFJ's are the same and I love me some isfj's, but they don't always look after themselves either very well in the emotional stakes. I think some one with good EQ, would balance thier needs with other people's better.
That's my guess any way.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
"Emotional intelligence means to be smart with feelings and examples of emotional intelligence are:

being able to recognize and manage your emotions appropriately
being able to recognize and effectively deal with others’ emotions
being able to motivate yourself and maintain successful relationships

In short, emotional intelligence is the skill of perceiving, understanding, and effectively managing emotions like anger, happiness, anxiety, optimism, humor, sadness, fear, shame, love.

research has shown that success is 80-90% attributable to emotional intelligence (EI), and only 10-20% to cognitive intelligence (IQ) - whether in your personal life or at work." (Here come the ENTJ and ESTJ's) LOL.

If you look at the following examples.. E's leading in EQ isnt a surprise. All examples include involvement in the external. "manage appropriately, effectively deal with others, maintain relations" ...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
As I said in the "who is the smartest" thread, the answer is: entp. We are everything, the tree, the sky, the air your breath, you cant escape !

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some NFs think they have an almost psychic ability to read people's true motivations and intentions and why they're feeling how they are; unfortunately most of the time the other person is too polite to say "WTF are you going on about"

Fixed your post.

MBTI describes preference not ability. I should start putting it in my sig or something, this is getting ridiculous. Although it's true that EI is one of the "abilities" that would be most correlated to preference. More than regular intelligence, I'd say.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
I actually agree with Thompson's research. As an INFP, number 2 and 4 are my trouble spots since I will never manipulate someone's feelings to achieve an agenda (definitely a T sort of thing) nor do I have a good handle on controlling my emotions (again, another T oriented trait).

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
so true. my ENTJ best friend thinks he's sensitive, empathetic and warm. :rofl1:

Edit: that being said, that's one thing I really like about ETJs. overconfidence is refreshing in a culture of increasing collectivism, low confidence and false humility. overconfident people may be a little dillusional at times, but they tend to get what they want, and I respect that in anyone

Since then do we have "increasingly low confidence"? I'd rather say it's something that stayed the same over the course of time. Also, if you study politics and history, it's quite clear that overconfident people usually do the most harm while getting relatively low backfire.

To the topic: Isn't MBTI more about how you HANDLE emotion rather about how good you are at recognizing them? So, the only reason why F's are often better at recognizing them is because they are more interested in them, thus spending more time on that behalf - If now a T is as interested as them, f.e. because he wants you do to something or to get something from you, what f.e. example ExTJ do quite frequently - They not only SHOULD be as good as them, they additionally should be more inclined to manipulate.. That way, the study is easy explainable - INFP's are especially interested in their own inner universe and that of the people important to them, thus not being good at "reading" strangers, while ExTJs are only interested in using the emotions - but this interest is relatively strong.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think that study is whack. INFPs and ISFJs are 2 of the MOST emotionally intelligent types, not the least. vice versa for ENTJs and ESTJs.
No, I think as they define it, that's reasonable. They see EI as being less affected by their own emotions, so its natural for more sensitive types to have lower EI. They are always going to have greater difficulty controlling and directing their emotions.

E

Epiphany

How are INFPs not adept at reading people? I took one of those emotional recognition tests in facial expressions and got a near perfect score. I'm not one of those INFPs who avoids eye contact though. If anything, I have to refrain from making too much eye contact so people won't feel uncomfortable. I'm just more interested in people than things, although I am clearly an introvert.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, I think as they define it, that's reasonable. They see EQ as being less affected by their own emotions, so its natural for more sensitive types to have lower EQ. They are always going to have greater difficulty controlling and directing their emotions.

I agree. I think ISFJs and INFJs would be perceived outwardly to have high emotional intelligence (if they're healthy) for the sheer fact that introverts with auxillary Fe tend to be "others focused" without being invasive.

However, Fi types (like INFP) might have more emotional intelligence in a more abstract and introspective way.

I don't like speculating on which type has what, because frankly any one of any type can be neurotic or selfish.

It's just that, yeah, sure, F types might stereotypically have more emotional intelligence and T types more logical intelligence.

Next thing I know I'm going to see a thread saying "Which Type Is Best at Basket Weaving?"

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ESTJ FOR THE WIN. Actually, someone did post a study on the forum where the Te doms were the best at this and INFPs sucked at this type of thing (dead last). I am way to lazy too search for it.

I'm really going to have to disagree with this. Strongly.

I mean, is this a fucking joke?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
henry thompson's study
the EQ test used

Total EI
top 5: ENTJ, ESTJ, ENFJ, ESFP, ENFP
bottom 5: ISTP, INFJ, ISTJ, ISFJ, INFP

Self-Awareness
top 5: ENFJ, ENFP, ESFP, ESTJ, ESFJ
bottom 5: INFJ, INTP, ISTP, ISFJ, ISTJ

the extravert/introvert divide is surprising :huh:

also interesting:

I think the fact that all the top ones are extrovert and all the low ones are introvert makes this study highly suspect and extremely biased.

I think introverts might have a lot more emotional intelligence in terms of introspection, self-awareness, and restraint, where as the extroverts would have more socially-oriented (being outgoing, adaptable, etc.) intelligence.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, I took an online quiz I got a low score for the same reason. But what if a person is in complete denial about their emotions? Do they really deserve a high score for that? And just because they think they know what others are feeling doesn't mean they actually know.

Although, I do remember one test where you had to interpret scenarios and read facial expressions.

This occurred to me as well...I'm not sure that denial, emotional repression, and confidence necessarily make a person emotionally intelligent.

It makes me wonder if what they're testing for is lack of emotional reactivity. :wacko:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This occurred to me as well...I'm not sure that denial, emotional repression, and confidence necessarily make a person emotionally intelligent.

It makes me wonder if what they're testing for is lack of emotional reactivity. :wacko:
Yeah, its pretty weird.

As I read more it seems to have less to do with empathy and feeling, and more to do with command over emotions, both your own and others'. Psychopaths by this reckoning would have very high EI. This would make it a less valuable source of data on genuine people skills.

But then perhaps we aren't understanding its purpose properly. :shrug:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP's are especially interested in their own inner universe and that of the people important to them, thus not being good at "reading" strangers

This is a common misconception about Fi, that's it's mainly about understanding self. The thing is, when examining the self, you're examining the inner landscape of a human. It's like, once you've dissected a frog, then you have a general understanding of what the inside of a frog looks like, and you can apply that general knowledge to all frogs. This is how Fi-doms grasp other people (and Ne particularly aids in imagining that which one has not experienced directly). This is also in-line with what Jung says about Fi appealing to the similarity of people internally, and how it is possible to communicate feeling to others & be understood, and by extension, I'd say able to understand others also.

Thanks to the relatively great internal (as well as external) similarity of the human being, this [communication of Fi feeling] can actually be achieved, although a form acceptable to feeling is extremely difficult to find...

I know I am not the only INFP who has reported finding themselves the "therapist" to friends and strangers, including advising on things I've not experienced (ie. romantic relationships before I was ever in one) and seeing it work out well for the person. For people (particularly strangers) to feel at ease emotionally with you to open up about their private feelings & problems, to trust your insight, and for that insight to show a grasp of how people work, etc, is certainly a sign of emotional intelligence, IMO.

To me, someone who does not feel the weight & force of the nuances of emotion may not be so well-equipped to understand the vast array of human feeling in others. People who are quick to "manage" emotions are often quick to dismiss them in others, becoming impatient with anyone who doesn't "get over it" fast.

Anyway, I don't doubt ETJs are good at whatever the test measures, I just don't think it measures the whole of "emotional intelligence", just as IQ doesn't measure the whole spectrum of intellect (although I think it does a better job at what it does measure - an iNtuitive kind of intelligence).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, its pretty weird.

As I read more it seems to have less to do with empathy and feeling, and more to do with command over emotions, both your own and others'. Psychopaths by this reckoning would have very high EI. This would make it a less valuable source of data on genuine people skills.

But then perhaps we aren't understanding its purpose properly. :shrug:

I agree - sociopaths would score as very "emotionally intelligent" if command over controlling emotions and ability to charm others were the only criteria.

That isn't a valid measurement, IMO.