• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Smartest type.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
You know, for people who claim to be intuitives, a lot of you sure do put a lot of faith in random statistics. How can you take MBTI/IQ data at face value when, for instance, MBTI has been shown to have low test-retest reliability?

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Do you believe the low test-retest reliability is a product of fluidity in personality as a function of time, or a problem with test design / low intrapersonal intelligence?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Do you believe the low test-retest reliability is a product of fluidity in personality as a function of time, or a problem with test design / low intrapersonal intelligence?

The latter.

Jaguar

How can you take MBTI/IQ data at face value when, for instance, MBTI has been shown to have low test-retest reliability?
Bingo. My issues with MBTI have always been the forced-choice test method and the fact they use questions which are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Upon retest, the person can easily flip choices since both answers were true for the person, to begin with. What some people conveniently ignore is there is a big difference between a forced answer, and an accurate answer.

I agree with kelric's thoughts from one of the MBTI threads:

Bipolarity, while making classification relatively simple, just doesn't seem to be an accurate way of representing the issues. How many times, when considering type, are we asked to prefer a to b? And how often do we make conclusions on this a/b decision (or a small sample size of a/b decisions) when our "real" answers are more along the lines of "well, a is good in this situation, b in this other one, well, except if something else also happens, but when I was in a similar situation, I really didn't think a *or* b, or I thought *both*, or "*neither*. There really isn't one answer that's better in general, but I have to pick one, so I guess I pick a". For me, it's pretty often. Simplifying can sometimes give insight, but it can also sometimes discard the complexity that is absolutely integral to understanding - I think that's the case here.

Bipolarity just doesn't ring true for me, and I'd say that this goes double for introverted vs. extroverted functions. Not a fan of that theory at all, in that the "introverted" functions and the "extroverted" functions just don't seem to be dichotomous. A simplistic analogy is that it's like saying that liking oranges is opposite from liking broccoli, and that I have to have a preference for one over the other, and that this says something important about me. I just don't accept that the two are related in any significant way.

A few conclusions from studies:

Evidence for the bipolarity of the introversion/extroversion dimension was weak, and findings did not support the bipolarity of the sensing/intuiting or thinking/feeling dimensions. Results provide evidence that high negative correlations within MBTI dimensions are an artifact of its forced-choice format.

The MBTI may capture a person's current state, but that state should probably not be treated as a fixed typology.

Consistent with earlier research and evaluations, there was no support for the view that the MBTI measures truly dichotomous preferences or qualitatively distinct types; instead, the instrument measures four relatively independent dimensions. The interpretation of the Judging-Perceiving index was also called into question. The data suggest that Jung's theory is either incorrect or inadequately operationalized by the MBTI and cannot provide a sound basis for interpreting it.

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
entp.

Level up!
Ego + 1! :D

(well thats the point of this thread isnt it?)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
Not this again! There are like 99999999 of these threads out there, and they always lead to people getting banned or such.
An XXXX would be the smartest. Easily.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Smart people usually say that they'ld never drive a Mercedes ! Little did they now ..

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
The smartest type is: I/E (0%/0%), N/S (0%/0%), T/F (0%/0%), and P/J (0%/0%). All other types lie on a continuum, which indicates how much farther they are from *that* type. I'd honestly felt I was extremely close to *that* type when I first discovered, and investigated MBTI back in Spring '08. I wasn't on any forums, and posted my thoughts on YouTube, where it initially occurred to me what type is the best ideal for *existence*, in general. Clearly, by observation, if you're *that* type, you aren't swayed by general existence, which does *things* to people, otherwise. Unfortunately, there was no way of fitting in with that fundamental analysis, which I called it, so I decided I'll stick with one of the types. Eventually, that's how I settled with ExTJ. When I first joined this forum in January '09, I said I only *tended* toward ENTJ, which seems realistic enough.

Basically, that'd be a *well-balanced* personality type.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
It wouldn't be a type, it would be a person who can use all functions as needed for every possible situation.

Jaguar

It wouldn't be a type, it would be a person who can use all functions as needed for every possible situation.

That would be me, along with any person on earth.

"Healthy development suggests that an individual may call upon any function in either attitude by a given situation."

— Roger Pearman

It doesn't matter if the author is Pearman, Myers, Nardi, Berens, Hartzler, Haas, Thompson, Quenk, or 17 others, it has always been widely accepted that people can use all of the functions in either attitude. It is only in this forum that you will find people making absurd comments such as, "I don't have Se." We have—and use—all of them. What differs is merely our levels of consciousness regarding their expression in not only ourselves, but others.

G

Ginkgo

Regardless of type, if you were really smart, you would use the search function. :hi:

Flight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
7w8
in terms of like school, definitely not istp. all the istps i have ever known including me have sucked hard at school. but i have never actually known a stupid istp ... so i would say we are pretty smart in general

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Basically, that'd be a *well-balanced* personality type.

All of the rest of the types suck, any way. I wish I were neither any of them.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
School-wise is tough because ISTJs do best overall through sheer compulsive cramming, INTJs understand everything best but can't be bothered all that much, other NTs and NFs do quite well and are usually pretty intellectual, and all the SPs are brilliant in the one or two subjects that interest them but can't be bothered with the rest and subsequently fail. Actual intelligence can't be measured by school.

Yamu

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I think Ns are often more smart than Ss.I personally believe that N can get good achievement in academia.I have many NT friends who study mathematics,physics,astronomy,biology,electrical engineering and computer science,economics,history and philosophy.And have many NF friends who study mathematics,physics,astronomy,electrical engineering and computer science and art.They are all clever persons.
I have an ISTJ classmate who loves Chinese history very much,she know much about Chinese history,but she is dogmatic and have a prejudice in western culture.I also have an INTJ good friend who studis computer science and history in Peking University,he is intelligent,both loves Chinese culture and western culture and have good philosophical skills,critical and argumentative skills.
(And now I am studying art in China Academy art of China)