• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Weaknesses of iNtuitives seen through Sensing Eyes

A

A window to the soul

Hi there!

For years I have been wanting to find some good Sensate criticisms of iNtuitives. But I never really have. Here we have, for the first time, to my knowledge, a good critique from an obviously intelligent Sensate. Please take a look:

http://www.celebritytypes.com/blog/2011/03/sensingintuition/

Overall the critique is weak and the author lacks credibility:
  • The author states, "by an ISTJ who is a PhD from a major university", but doesn't state his actual name, university, or role.
  • Comments at the bottom of the page are "closed".
  • The author explicitly mentions TypologyCentral.com and poses the question, "what senser would bother waste his time there?"
  • Grammatical error in the last paragraph.
  • Posted on a 'no name' website.
  • Is it "senser", "sensor" or does it matter?
  • I found the domain name 'whois' search also fascinating.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Overall the critique is weak and the author lacks credibility:
  • The author states, "by an ISTJ who is a PhD from a major university", but doesn't state his actual name, university, or role.
  • Comments at the bottom of the page are "closed".
  • The author explicitly mentions TypologyCentral.com and "what senser would bother waste his time there?"
  • Grammatical error in the last paragraph.
  • Posted on a 'no name' website.
  • Is it "senser", "sensor" or does it matter?
  • I found the domain name whois search also fascinating.

Conclusion: It was an ISTJ who posts here. Now lets all try to figure out who it was.

(This was a joke post until I reflected back and realized that the person pretty much sounds like he's reflecting on the culture of the forum.)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A big weakness of N..

1. iNtuitives see pattern that may or may not be there..then give significance to those patterns...and then wonder why they got burned when things didn't go as expected.

yeah this is really true. i almost never am wrong about identifying a pattern in and of itself, but sometimes i fail when i go to attribute it to something. like i'll notice my SO having a pattern of drawing away and i'll jump to the conclusion that it was probably because i made them angry. except that's totally wrong, they were drawing away for a totally different reason. N can be a very paranoia-inducing function.

I actually think it's pretty fucking presumptuous for him to presume that Ns of many types (not just NTJs) don't implement our abstract ideas into our daily lives.

I agree on many points, but not that one.

yeahhh. i mean, we might be N, but we're not complete idiots. if N was that detrimental to existence we'd obviously stop using it.

Conclusion: It was an ISTJ who posts here. Now lets all try to figure out who it was.

(This was a joke post until I reflected back and realized that the person pretty much sounds like he's reflecting on the culture of the forum.)

lol. you know, and i actually thought the original article itself was pretty tongue in cheek, but i felt that sort of lingering resentment too. you may well be right.

rav3n

The blog was entertaining and kind of funny. It's fine if sensors have this perception of intuitives! :laugh:

I have no idea why people get so offended by the divide. On either side.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think NTJs are pretty focus on results, so he is off there. Also, his analysis seems biased towards Ne dom or auxiliary types. He seems to lack a through understanding.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know... The more I think about it... Since when do intuitives have an elitist attitude over sensors outside of this forum? Even if they did, it's a definite opinion statement coming from an "MD". I'm thinkin' most ISTJ MD's would cringe at the thought of writing something like that without at least putting a couple of numbers in there.

:thelook:

I don't know any of your new age ISTJ's on here so I have no guesses.

YOU! OP! Get over here and tell us why you don't have a type and only have two friends on here! Is sensate even a word?

You're being suspicious over there.

A

A window to the soul

The blog was entertaining and kind of funny. It's fine if sensors have this perception of intuitives!

Hahaha, yes it was! :yes:

I think NTJs are pretty focus on results, so he is off there. Also, his analysis seems biased towards Ne dom or auxiliary types. He seems to lack a through understanding.

Yes sir. :)

I don't know... The more I think about it... Since when do intuitives have an elitist attitude over sensors outside of this forum? Even if they did, it's a definite opinion statement coming from an "MD". I'm thinkin' most ISTJ MD's would cringe at the thought of writing something like that without at least putting a couple of numbers in there.

:thelook:

I don't know any of your new age ISTJ's on here so I have no guesses.

YOU! OP! Get over here and tell us why you don't have a type and only have two friends on here! Is sensate even a word?

You're being suspicious over there.

I like you! :hug:

From what I can see at this point, the blog post is propaganda. As for me, I love sensors A LOT!! I'm so grateful for the sensors that I have in my life; don't know what I'd do without them. There's tons of mutual admiration between the types here. I have not noticed the issues that the ISTJ mentioned (as being the predominant attitudes).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Marmie Dearest youre just being negative because the author called you on your love of TOP GUN as a homo-erotic drama.

That has to be stolen from the movie Sleep With Me. Quentin Tarantino makes a (hilarious, IMO) cameo where he explains his theory on how Top Gun is really a man's inner struggle with his homosexuality. Good movie.

/Ne tangent

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

Agreed.

I find that it is generally meaningless to talk about type in terms of dichotomies; the traits listed for each side are usually not even true for all of the types they encompass and are, as a result, terribly misleading. This is especially true for the S/N and T/F dichotomies because, for example, types as different as ISTJ and ESFP get bunched in the "S" group (making it useless because these two have extremely little in common, not even in terms of sensing because one is Se while the other is Si), and types as different as INFP and ESFJ get bunched together in the "F" group (...these types hardly have anything in common at all, either functionally or in terms of their general presentation.) There is literally no meaning in saying that one is an N or S, T or F. It's nonsense.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
more people should actually try this, yeah

this. but i think its best to work mostly on your Si if you are Ne user and Se if you are an Ni user because those functions kinda support/compliment each other. if you are an Se user, you cant really do genuine Ne, because with genuine Ne the Se works in the unconscious and so does seeing the Ne connections etc, and the results come to conscious after the processing is done. now with Se users, the details go straight to conscious, so you need to work with the connections(and other Ne stuff) with conscious thinking, so its not really Ne that finds the connections in this case. but Ni on the other hand comes naturally to Se user, but is weak usually and needs some work on.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know... The more I think about it... Since when do intuitives have an elitist attitude over sensors outside of this forum?

I can't tell if you're kidding. In case you're not- I've known about about the intuitive elitist attitude since long before finding this forum. Since first learning about mbti types, actually, nigh on ten years now. I don't know how common it is generally, but I know it's pretty thick with friends I've had and my ENP ex (who brought mbti to my attention).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Since the author accepts the existance of S and N, I think it's pointless to evaluate them, because that wont change that they exist, if they do.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
He's salty about something, that's for sure.

I think it goes without saying that S and N functions have their weaknesses. Being on an N dominated board you don't see much discussion of intuitive blindspots, and just like S users who are so sure of their precision, you have the same for N types. If dichotomies do exist you're always working with an introverted function, so there will always be some bias involved.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
why do ne users seem less aware of their surroundings then ni users?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I was thinking how the latest (well, it's been more than 20 years already) advancements in technology have made N life quite easier: bills and utilities can be paid directly by letting the company access your bank account, thus there's no need for keeping the dates in mind and arranging paperwork; widespread availability of computers and high-level programming languages gives us an easy venue for implementing and/or simulating our own ideas before implementation; and well, I'm sure I could think about many other points.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lesser Se

right...was going to say that...but then istj people have si..and ni users don't have se or si as dom or aux so why is their se in tertiary or inferior better than our si...or am i all confused...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
HALP! HALP! I'm an N I can't find my foot Halp!

I agree, I dont think too that "I cant pay my bills on time" is really the one major indicator for being a N. It says more about your education and what your parents taught you to do. My parents totally forgot to raise me paying my bills on time, so my gf needed to do and she's scored infp on mbti tests. She came from a much poorer family so she was much more occupied with paying her bills on time.

Being N and S is a difference in perception, but being blind to the real world, both are quite good at

right...was going to say that...but then istj people have si..and ni users don't have se or si as dom or aux so why is their se in tertiary or inferior better than our si...or am i all confused...

No you are right and I have no idea. I generally found that living Ne primary is a special way of dealing with things which automatically excludes you from being very perceptive about your real world. I have no clue tho, my gf says I am more perceptive than she is (infp) but I sometimes dont find the easiest things lieing right in front of me or am so used to habits that I put tea in the coffee machine and coffee in the tea machine :)