• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Best test out there?

Jaguar

why read some speculation like this from a time when the test wasnt even most likely tested yet, when you can read actual studies about its validity and reliability?

The bias has been a known issue for years, both outside this forum and inside this forum. It's old news.

KDude

The bias has been a known issue for years, both outside this forum and inside this forum. It's old news.

If Step II is the newer "Form Q", and Step I is "Form M", then is the Step II more accurate in terms of the concerns you linked to?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

lol the link you posted is about speculation of the test before it had been even released. MBTI Form M has been tested quite alot since and it has had really good reliability and validity. i just wrote a shit load of stuff about validity and reliability of MBTI Form M to one school project and had to read studies of its validity and reliability quite alot for that..

Jaguar

If Step II is the newer "Form Q", and Step I is "Form M", then is the Step II more accurate in terms of the concerns you linked to?

Regardless of form, I think the MBTI will continue to be an instrument with a forced-choice method. The result can easily become nothing more than an artifact of the testing method rather than an accurate representation of the person's true preferences. Therein lies one of its main problems, and always has been - bipolarity, is it real? Many who have ran experiments over the decades, say no. It doesn't necessarily hold up. The Si bias was just one more strike against the instrument.

Linda V. Berens wrote about the SP issue, in her article comparing extraverted sensing with intuiting.

Check it out:
How to tell iNtuiting from extraverted Sensing

http://www.interstrength.com/content/how_to_tell_intuiting_from_extraverted_sensing

We discussed some of the MBTI issues in this older thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ity-matrices/23580-thoughts-myers-briggs.html

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
the official one is crap and because its so crap the field of psychology wont take MBTI seriously, there are alot better tests out there..

The field of psychology only takes Big Five seriously, which IMO is overly simplistic and based on observable behaviors rather than motives. There are critical arguments against the Big Five, including by licensed practitioners. They refer to it sometimes as "the stranger test"...they are behaviors observable to a casual stranger, even to a bright child.

And if you feel this way, then why were you defending Keirsey's temperaments the other day in a thread? Keirsey is even more simplistic than MBTI.

Jungian theory > MBTI > Keirsey

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Regardless of form, I think the MBTI will continue to be an instrument with a forced-choice method. The result can easily become nothing more than an artifact of the testing method rather than an accurate representation of the person's true preferences. Therein lies one of its main problems, and always has been - bipolarity, is it real? Many who have ran experiments over the decades, say no. It doesn't necessarily hold up.

you would prefer likert scales or open questions? well, likert scales wouldnt make much of a difference because ipsative scales can be made to work as well as likert by actually knowing what you are doing when building the test. open questions MBTI test would be pretty neat, but your typing would be totally up to the typer(you would need some professional to type you), some half open(dunno if thats the actual term in english) question MBTI test would be neat too, but would also require some professional to type you, but how could you know that this professional is good at typing?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Jungian theory > MBTI > Keirsey

yea i think MBTI has simplified jungs psychological types way too much, but it has also added some really valuable sides to it. imo its best to look at these three as different sides of a same thing. jung owns, but it has its shortcomings also

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
yea i think MBTI has simplified jungs psychological types way too much, but it has also added some really valuable sides to it. imo its best to look at these three as different sides of a same thing. jung owns, but it has its shortcomings also

Okay, I concede that all three serve a useful purpose. "Please Understand Me" could at least stop people from believing that those who are different from themselves are "stupid" or "crazy" or whatever. It at least does that, and I do think there is truth in the core Promethean NTs wanting power (or to be right, or appeal to authority) and Appollonian NFs want to find themselves (and are more likely to go into therapy than other types, apparently) etc.

However, it annoys me because it leads to harmful stereotypes that don't really do justice to how personalities can manifest in ISFJs or ENTPs.

MBTI does more at least, IMO, to stop people from thinking in stereotypes so much, but it still doesn't touch on the depth and complexity of motive in Jungian theory.

Then again, Jungian theory is more subtle to grasp, it can get confusing to some, and you may have to really be honest with yourself and/or observe others over a period of time instead of being able to instantly slap a label on them according to behaviors.

So maybe it's good to start with Keirsey and MBTI and move up to Jungian theory. It's just that sometimes people get stuck in Keirsey and go around saying stupid shit like "all ISFJs are frigid prudes."

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
yea it would be pretty difficult to understand jungs book and the whole type thing without some introduction to MBTI first. MBTI is more like putting the jungian theory into use, and when you learn how you can use it first, it gets much easier to understand jungs concepts.

Jaguar

you would prefer likert scales or open questions? well, likert scales wouldnt make much of a difference

Likert did make a difference. It's what was used to illustrate that bipolarity didn't hold up well, at all. Again, this is old news from many years ago. Singer and Loomis decided to test Jung's assumption.

but how could you know that this professional is good at typing?

There is only one person who can validate a type result: The subject.

It's common knowledge there is a validation session for those who take the official MBTI. It's all part of the process. If that validation session is missing, the entire process would lack consistency. (That wouldn't surprise me, though.) The bottom line is - the only person who can validate your type is you. It's also part of the code of ethics for those who administer the MBTI instrument.