• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted Thinkers: Curious protective obstacles?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The various measures of self-defence, the curious protective obstacles with which such people are wont to surround themselves, are sufficiently familiar, and I may, therefore, spare myself a description of them. They all serve as a defence against 'magical' influences; a vague dread of the other sex also belongs to this category.

This is a part of Jung's description of the Introverted Thinking type. Does anyone know what he was talking about here? I have no clue. I'm not sure that I've known any Introverted Thinking types well enough to be aware of such.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Think he meant that all Ti-doms have a plastic p-ness

german english translations are really impossible to read :D

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The key element of what he's describing is related to the previous sentence:

The relatively unconscious functions of feeling, intuition, and sensation, which counterbalance introverted thinking, are inferior in quality and have a primitive, extraverted character, to which all the troublesome objective influences this type is subject to must be ascribed. The various measures of self-defence, the curious protective obstacles with which such people are wont to surround themselves, are sufficiently familiar, and I may, therefore, spare myself a description of them. They all serve as a defence against 'magical' influences; a vague dread of the other sex also belongs to this category.

Essentially, an introverted thinking individual who has lost his connection to the factual world and has begun supplanting his subjective and "mythological" reasoning for true reality will interpret demands of the other functions as being the villains of his world. All blame is projected outwards, and any perceived attack on the world of the Ti dom is met with denial, or projection, or any other psychological defense mechanisms one can think of. These mechanisms I don't think are unique to the Ti dom, but they're employed for "Ti reality defense."

The_World_As_Will

The key element of what he's describing is related to the previous sentence:

Essentially, an introverted thinking individual who has lost his connection to the factual world and has begun supplanting his subjective and "mythological" reasoning for true reality will interpret demands of the other functions as being the villains of his world. All blame is projected outwards, and any perceived attack on the world of the Ti dom is met with denial, or projection, or any other psychological defense mechanisms one can think of. These mechanisms I don't think are unique to the Ti dom, but they're employed for "Ti reality defense."

ah, that makes sense. Good post