• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where Is My Arty Arty Side? An investigation into Fi and art.

wolfy

awsm
Discuss Fi and art. And the noticeable absence of my artistic side if you want.

KDude

It's wherever you say it is. Cherie Curry now calls herself a "chainsaw artist". I wouldn't tell her she's less of an artist than when she was a singer (considering that she has a chainsaw, it's not a good idea anyways). But I would take issue if you let others define your projects too much. You will be an artist the further you swung to the individualistic side. You might even be an asshole. That's the price. Henry Rollins knows it (fast forward to about 2:00).

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf9eJnqqDec&feature=related]/[/youtube]

wolfy

awsm
I've seen that video. Great choice to illustrate the point. I don't let others define my projects much but I feel like I could swing to the more individualistic vision side a bit more.

wolfy

awsm
It's wherever you say it is.

It was your question in the other thread that got me thinking on it. What is my art medium. I'd thought about that in the past, about why isfp are called artists. And I came to the, I suppose pretty obvious conclusion, that is because of the individual expression in whatever they do. Lately I am really interested in how healthy enneagram nine move to three. That seems related to me developing more in that way. I can see some of that nine to three dynamic in my own life, the same as I can see how Se has developed over the years.

Bringing ideas to reality has interested me for a long time. The friction involved in bringing an idea to reality and how an idea changes as it moves into the world. I feel like I may have become to flexible at times and think having a more solid vision of what I want to see and I guess being more of an "asshole" and pushing it through the way I want would be the way to go.

I read this article on nines going all over the place in explanations the other day so I'll leave it at that.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i think of Fi as a sort of ocean inside, with weather. its energy can be channeled into things, though usually trying to harness wild Fi storms into artistic expression does not work for me (i have an INFP friend who can definitely do this). but later, i can sort of "tap the well" and return to that state of feeling and utilize the knowledge of it for expression. elation, joy, contentment, mystery, sadness...

i've always drawn and painted, just because i have some ease of creating realistic images, and i've always played music because i grew up with musicians in the family, but i don't really associate the reason why i do either of those things with Fi. i never started because of it. drawing, it was just fun to be able to replicate things i liked, or express my new ideas on paper; music was just because my parents enrolled me in lessons. now i think i add Fi to those things, but they didn't grow from that well. it's curious to me. some people have that "artistic soul" but i feel like really i just got lucky.

And I came to the, I suppose pretty obvious conclusion, that is because of the individual expression in whatever they do.

:yes:

the ISFPs i know just have this really cool tangible sense of their selves. i figure you guys are the artists because Fi gives the strong sense of identity and individualism, and Se gives you facility with media to be able to link yourselves back and forth to reality. perhaps if you tend to choose less conventional media, then it will be harder to see your arty side... sometimes i feel like i am more artistic in the way i dress than the way i paint! but you may still be transforming the things around you in a renewing, ever-changing, meaningful way.

wolfy

awsm
i think of Fi as a sort of ocean inside, with weather. its energy can be channeled into things, though usually trying to harness wild Fi storms into artistic expression does not work for me (i have an INFP friend who can definitely do this). but later, i can sort of "tap the well" and return to that state of feeling and utilize the knowledge of it for expression. elation, joy, contentment, mystery, sadness...

i've always drawn and painted, just because i have some ease of creating realistic images, and i've always played music because i grew up with musicians in the family, but i don't really associate the reason why i do either of those things with Fi. i never started because of it. drawing, it was just fun to be able to replicate things i liked, or express my new ideas on paper; music was just because my parents enrolled me in lessons. now i think i add Fi to those things, but they didn't grow from that well. it's curious to me. some people have that "artistic soul" but i feel like really i just got lucky.

That reminds me of a description of the isfp mindset in Lenore Thompson's book. Where she gave the metaphor of the ocean for Fi and land for Se. And then went on to say that isfp need to build the kind of house that can weather that environment. A sea house.

the ISFPs i know just have this really cool tangible sense of their selves. i figure you guys are the artists because Fi gives the strong sense of identity and individualism, and Se gives you facility with media to be able to link yourselves back and forth to reality. perhaps if you tend to choose less conventional media, then it will be harder to see your arty side... sometimes i feel like i am more artistic in the way i dress than the way i paint! but you may still be transforming the things around you in a renewing, ever-changing, meaningful way.

I see more of an interest in design than individual artistic expression in me. I suppose it is still individual expression but I feel I am once removed from it, it does feel like individual expression but more like performing than exposing. It isn't as raw as I would say some other artists work is. I like that angle on work. I think you captured that thinking in the way you described the isfp you know.