• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is most prone to shyness?

discoverhiddenjules

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Of the 16 types, which ones do you think are most likely to have shy people? I've heard theories that the combination of introvert and feeling affect it a lot, but I would like to know what you think too :) I'm really shy and I hate it. I've tried becoming confident and outgoing but I feel super uncomfortable and just can't do it! Shyness and social anxiety are horrible things though... living with them everyday only makes you feel like you don't fit in and leads to sadness :( Okay I'm getting off-topic here lol But anyway, ^^ it's quite a thought-provoking question!

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
An introverted type. Other than that, I don't know. I've encountered painfully shy people of all 8 introvert types. I've heard that IXFPs are prone to shyness, probably because as dominant Fi types they are highly sensitive and hold their feelings within more. I've also heard dominant Ti types being shy because they have poorly developed Fe. Thus they may be behind on social development and not as apt to reach out to others. Maybe IxFJ types have a little bit of an advantage over other introverts because they do have auxilary Fe but I know painfully shy ISFJs and INFJs.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I had to say any one type that's most prone to shyness, I would say it's INFP. Although, I think shyness can be prevalent equally in all the types, as I'm an ENFP, but extremely shy around those who aren't my immediate family/strangers on the net.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I had to say any one type that's most prone to shyness, I would say it's INFP. Although, I think shyness can be prevalent equally in all the types, as I'm an ENFP, but extremely shy around those who aren't my immediate family/strangers on the net.

I'm ENFP and not shy at all lol. especially around people whom most people are more prone to be shy around. for instance, I'm much more likely to talk to people who are exceedingly well dressed and appear to be powerful.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Maybe IxFJ types have a little bit of an advantage over other introverts because they do have auxilary Fe but I know painfully shy ISFJs and INFJs.

On the other hand, the whole Fe thing could also make them afraid of humiliation and/or social rejection, no?

That's funny... I've often heard INFPs care very little about social mores and other people's perception of them due to Fi, like, "You can't handle my worst, you don't deserve my best". Do you suppose I'm missing something here?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On the other hand, the whole Fe thing could also make them afraid of humiliation and/or social rejection, no?

Yes. The painfully shy IXFJs are usually shy for this very reason.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Elfboy
I'm ENFP and not shy at all lol. especially around people whom most people are more prone to be shy around. for instance, I'm much more likely to talk to people who are exceedingly well dressed and appear to be powerful.

Well I didn't mean ENFP's were the most shy (your definitely not ;)) just that some (like me :D) are painfully shy, but really it al depends on the individual.

Originally posted by Viridian
That's funny... I've often heard INFPs care very little about social mores and other people's perception of them due to Fi, like, "You can't handle my worst, you don't deserve my best". Do you suppose I'm missing something here?

Your not really missing anything here, my assertion was more or less my opinion in the matter.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originaly posted by nebbykoo
Low dopamine makes people shy.

Really? If true, is there stuff that can increase dopamine levels, cause I need that post haste.

rav3n

There's a study that claims that extroverts use different neural pathways than introverts. Extroverts use pathways that result in quicker dopamine hits.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
There's a study that claims that extroverts use different neural pathways than introverts. Extroverts use pathways that result in quicker dopamine hits.

that makes sense since dopamine is related to desire and motivation.

KDude

Nope, you're not missing anything. I mean, I guess I'm moderately shy, but I not most shy person I know. If anything, I'd try to help whoever that is.

The only thing I think you're missing is that I think INFPs and INTPs don't always intentionally set out to be that way. While ISPs break a lot of molds on purpose.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
from experience, INPs and IFJs.

i wonder if extraverts are more likely to be prone to addiction.

Savage Idealist said:
Really? If true, is there stuff that can increase dopamine levels, cause I need that post haste.

nebby gave you a wise answer, but here is another :D

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Nope, you're not missing anything. I mean, I guess I'm moderately shy, but I not most shy person I know. If anything, I'd try to help whoever that is.

The only thing I think you're missing is that I think INFPs and INTPs don't always intentionally set out to be that way. While ISPs break a lot of molds on purpose.

Could you please elaborate on that? Sorry if I sound obtuse, but I'm not sure I get the distinction you're making...

rav3n

i wonder if extraverts are more likely to be prone to addiction.
I recall reading something about types and addictions. The only thing I can remember is that ENTJs were almost at the bottom of the scale for being prone to addictions and that NTs in general weren't prone to addictions as compared to other types. Can't recall the validity of the information so I'm going to try to find the study again.