• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you pick up that someone is using Ni?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I understand the functions better than I used to (I think) but I don't have the instinctive grasp of them that some of you seem to (or think you do... :newwink: )

I think I have an idea of how I use Ni, but would find it hard to quantify or put into words. I am particularly curious to know what cues another person would display to make you fairly sure that Ni is their primary function (so, they would probably be INFJ or INTJ.)

How would you do it? Do you have any actual concrete examples?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think this is one of the hardest functions to recognize. I'm still getting better at it, but generally, I will look for someone who does the following things:

- steps back and looks at the bigger picture; seems to synthesize a lot of things and communicates a perspective based on those things
- provides depth of insight on a problem with an orientation towards what is going to happen in the future
- tends to be conceptual in nature

If I were to contrast it with Si, I think Si provides a perspective based on things that have happened in the past and if you ask questions, it will be obvious that the person's perspective is very driven by this. Ni is driven more by what is going to happen in the future. Both Ni and Si can look at past, present, and future, but the Ni perspective is shaped by a picture or vision of the future more than what happened in the past. Also, an Si user seems to be better at articulating their logic for their perspective - it's based on facts or concrete things that have happened before, so it is easier to understand. The Ni person won't be as able to explain it as well. They just think they know what will happen.

The trickier differentiation for me is Ni vs Ne. I can mistake one for the other. I guess the big difference to me seems to be that Ne is less decisive, more focused on options vs. conclusions, is shorter term in orientation and is somehow more connected to the current reality. Again, to me, the Ne user seems to be more articulate in explaining things verbally. I have wondered why this is and have speculated that it might be because Ne is more oriented towards present reality which is easier and more concrete to explain and comprehend.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
you'ld just have to look if he has a god complex and then it's prolly Ni :D

rav3n

Love this short form explanation of Ni.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/introvertedintuiting.html

Introverted iNtuiting involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level. Using this process, we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us. A disengagement from interactions in the room occurs, followed by a sudden “Aha!” or “That’s it!” The sense of the future and the realizations that come from introverted iNtuiting have a sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future. Using this process, we might rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten, or transform. We could find ourselves laying out how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs. This process can involve working out complex concepts or systems of thinking or conceiving of symbolic or novel ways to understand things that are universal. It can lead to creating transcendent experiences or solutions.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The main thing I look for is an empirical, functional approach to difficult topics. If it's too devoted to current theories/understandings, it's Si, and if it is focused on patterns without regard to functionality, it's Ne.

I've noticed, however, a tendency of some people who regard themselves as Ni doms to leap to the conclusion that others must be "S" if they cannot keep up with the Ni-doms meanderings, or, similarly, don't readily agree with the Ni-dom's obvious wisdom and experience in matters.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Tests are so unreliable. If memory serves me, didn't you score ENFJ on a test?
I always thought you were different from everyone else in the forum. Take that as a compliment.

Ya enfj or entj I got so far, but never intp. Thanks for the compliment, but it's time for the doors now :D

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBFhdeR9PE"].[/youtube]

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you'ld just have to look if he has a god complex and then it's prolly Ni :D

This statement that you make is somewhat joking but with an element of what you perceive to be truth. It doesn't seem to be an uncommonly held perception on the forum. You frequently hear these types of jokes. I'd speculate the reason you hold this perception is interaction you have had with xNTJs and your perception that they express a confident opinion without necessarily providing underlying rationale. You perceive them to have a "god complex" as a result.

The thing we need to realize is that it is really just a different way of thinking and communicating. We could make jokes about ENTPs being the flippant and sarcastic ones, but that isn't really productive.

Back to the primary topic at hand, I think it is virtually impossible to observe Ni in real time. You're observing the after-effects.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well, I was never thinking of all Ni users when I made that post, just a special one :)

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
They get lost in their own thoughts in the middle of a conversation.

Sunny Ghost

^I can't say I've noticed many Ni users to do that.

With INTJ's in particular... or at least with the one I'm familiar with and the ones I've seen around the forum, I think there is a tendency to have a very haughty sense of humor about their intellect. Which I honesty find more humorous than conceded.

Amongst INFJ's, the way I've picked up on Ni is an ability to grasp something that seems mundane and to conceptualize an idea or joke that is so spot on, but from my perspective was not immediately thought of. (Gosh, Ni is too hard to put into words.) The two INFJ friends I have, have a superior wit. One of these INFJ friends are always way above my head and I have a hard time immediately grasping his jokes... but the female INFJ I know keeps me rolling on the floor laughing.

Si vs. Se, and Ti vs. Te are so much easier to understand and see... but just like Fi vs. Fe, Ni vs. Ne is often more difficult. I typically have a lot of difficulty picking out the these functions.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They get lost in their own thoughts in the middle of a conversation.

I do that. I did it today in fact. It's like you are diving off on a point or tangent, mulling it over and not paying attention to what people are saying. It's vexing.

rav3n

I think it is virtually impossible to observe Ni in real time. You're observing the after-effects.
Agreed since Ni's not linear. If a Ni-dom or aux were to try to articulate the bombardment or extraction of information as it's happening, it would be impossible to understand.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^I can't say I've noticed many Ni users to do that.

With INTJ's in particular... or at least with the one I'm familiar with and the ones I've seen around the forum, I think there is a tendency to have a very haughty sense of humor about their intellect. Which I honesty find more humorous than conceded.

Amongst INFJ's, the way I've picked up on Ni is an ability to grasp something that seems mundane and to conceptualize an idea or joke that is so spot on, but from my perspective was not immediately thought of. (Gosh, Ni is too hard to put into words.) The two INFJ friends I have, have a superior wit. One of these INFJ friends are always way above my head and I have a hard time immediately grasping his jokes... but the female INFJ I know keeps me rolling on the floor laughing.

Si vs. Se, and Ti vs. Te are so much easier to understand and see... but just like Fi vs. Fe, Ni vs. Ne is often more difficult. I typically have a lot of difficulty picking out the these functions.

Whether this has to do with Ni or not I am not sure, but a lot of people seem to find me wittier than I consider myself. ;)

I will make a joke that seems to me the only "logical" joke to make under the circumstances (it may be complex and referential but it makes more sense to me than any other humour would do in the moment) but it has other people rolling in the aisles (at least if they get it) because it's so off the wall and "only you would come up with that."

raminda

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
3w4
I think my most obvious observations of Ni in my boyfriend (an INTJ) is in his explanations of his most fundamental opinions. As an example, he holds the opinion that when it comes to looks, what people should strive for is to have their "outer self" look as much as their "true, inner self" as possible. The closer someone is to this goal, the more beautiful they are. (I think this could indicate Fi too, though.) As a contrast, I, with Ne, aim to not get stuck in a specific "look" but be everchanging.

I'm not saying that this is an opinion that could only be held by people with Ni, or that all people with Ni holds it, but rather that the choice of the words he uses when he explains it is. Someone else could say "People are beautiful when they look like they want to look." and it'd basically be the same thing, but the fact that he chooses an expression like "true, inner self" is indicative of Ni.

I’m not sure if that even made sense. Ah, well.