• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you pick up that someone is using Ni?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Funny you mention this. I always think about this.

Most people are assumed to be lying or exaggerating their skills on their resume. So I sometimes wonder if employers expect it. It seems like if you write an honest resume, you don't even get through the door because someone else's read better, even if in all actuality you are better suited for the job.

Lately I have been taking the approach to just say whatever the hell you need to, just to get through the door, then showcase not what you have done but what you are capable of once you get inside.

It is just that if all people are assumed to lie, and you write honestly, wouldn't an employer assume that is also a lie, and by default, underestimate your skills in the margin of error?

So then in order to be a contender you have to play the game, somewhat..

Sorry know that is off topic but I am curious.

I think the statistics show that a large percentage of people exaggerate their credentials on their resumes. However, there is a matter of degree. It's normal to paint oneself in a positive light and I always expect that people will exaggerate some things. This guy I interviewed, as I reflected after the fact, was grossly mis-representing himself which makes me a bit angry because he was wasting my time and the time of others who were interviewing him. He was saying whatever he thought I wanted to hear.

When it comes down to it, I think interviewers should be looking for people who are a fit for the role and the organization. If you get a job that you're not a good fit for then it's not good for either side. The recruiting and interviewing process itself is highly imperfect though. Once you get in, it's all about what you actually do. People care about what you're capable of but results and relationships are what matters by a fair margin.

T

ThatGirl

I think the statistics show that a large percentage of people exaggerate their credentials on their resumes. However, there is a matter of degree. It's normal to paint oneself in a positive light and I always expect that people will exaggerate some things. This guy I interviewed, as I reflected after the fact, was grossly mis-representing himself which makes me a bit angry because he was wasting my time and the time of others who were interviewing him. He was saying whatever he thought I wanted to hear.

When it comes down to it, I think interviewers should be looking for people who are a fit for the role and the organization. If you get a job that you're not a good fit for then it's not good for either side. The recruiting and interviewing process itself is highly imperfect though. Once you get in, it's all about what you actually do though. People care about what you're capable of but results and relationships are what matters by a fair margin.

Yeah, I could see how that would piss you off. Doesn't matter if you get the job or not, if you can't even begin to do the work.

My way of thinking is this. For every new job there is a training period where you learn about how the specific company wants you to work. If I, with no experience, can train in the same amount of time, and learn all of the skills required for the specific job, compared to someone who has experience but is a slower learner, it is fair enough for me to apply.

I am a very quick learner, so as long as the position doesn't require a lot of techie skills that need to be learned over years, I am usually confident that the lack of experience would never be noticed.

It worked in helping me get my last job, where it was stated that I am by far the best they have had in my position.

It also helps to keep your exaggeration centered on some sort of basic skill. That way if questioned too much about it, you can expand on the skill, more so than reiterate what is written on the resume and specifics. I guess all resume fudging really is, would be giving different names to the skills you already have.

Anyway, so maybe you were just pissed because the guy was a downright idiot. Since resume fudging isn't always the end of the world. Bad resume fudging is? Also insulting to interviewer I imagine.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This quotation from A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle makes me think of Ni:

"Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract. You add that to the other four dimensions and you can travel through space without having to go the long way around. In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashioned plane geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points."

It's not visible to others, presumably - but I think I am using Ni/Fe when I do the following, which I do quite often - it comes across as diplomacy or tact, I suppose. In the course of a conversation I'm about to make a joke or comment, but then I realise that it touches on an area which is sensitive for the other person or one of the other people in the convo. It's like, in less than a split second I visualize myself making the comment, hurt or embarrassment flashing across the other person's face, embarrassment filling me as I realise that I may have hurt their feelings or put them in an awkward position. So I formulate something else to say which steers away from the danger zone. But it happens so, so fast that the whole course of thoughts that I've just described is over and it kind of goes through my head only as I'm already making the more diplomatic, less potentially hurtful comment.

...Does that sound like Ni/Fe or am I thinking of something else entirely??

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
This quotation from A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle makes me think of Ni:

"Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract. You add that to the other four dimensions and you can travel through space without having to go the long way around. In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashioned plane geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points."

It's not visible to others, presumably - but I think I am using Ni/Fe when I do the following, which I do quite often - it comes across as diplomacy or tact, I suppose. In the course of a conversation I'm about to make a joke or comment, but then I realise that it touches on an area which is sensitive for the other person or one of the other people in the convo. It's like, in less than a split second I visualize myself making the comment, hurt or embarrassment flashing across the other person's face, embarrassment filling me as I realise that I may have hurt their feelings or put them in an awkward position. So I formulate something else to say which steers away from the danger zone. But it happens so, so fast that the whole course of thoughts that I've just described is over and it kind of goes through my head only as I'm already making the more diplomatic, less potentially hurtful comment.

...Does that sound like Ni/Fe or am I thinking of something else entirely??

What you say makes sense and that's how I've also seen it appear in my INFJ friends. We once had a conversation about how she noticed whenever a certain topic of conversation came up around our coworker, the coworker would start fidgeting and bristling, tugging at her earrings, twisting her ring, blinking very rapidly, and just generally uncomfortable (it was a particular mental disorder that was just unavoidable to discuss where we worked) but it only happened with that particular disorder. Later on, we came to find out two of this coworker's family members were battling this disorder and it caused a lot of tension and strife within the family. It really wasn't much that could be done, but the sensitivity was there.

It was mentioned to me that one of the reasons we're seeing a difference in agreeing in the traceability and visibility of Ni is because this discussion is heavily influence by Ni and Te, which may not feel as great a need to communicate itself and make itself understood as Ni and Fe. I will take extra steps to make myself understood because I feel compelled to make sure I "make sense" and that others understand me.

Maybe NTJs (SFPs?) don't feel that need and NFJs (STPs?) do. Also, SPs use Ni as well and their use shouldn't be discounted or thought insignificant when compared to Ni doms and auxs.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Why bother with attempting to locate a function in another? Instead, it is far better to simply enjoy the kaleidoscope of experience that others' personalities bring to your life, without knowing exactly what it is. That is for them to know, and up to them whether to share with you.

Lightyear

Why bother with attempting to locate a function in another? Instead, it is far better to simply enjoy the kaleidoscope of experience that others' personalities bring to your life, without knowing exactly what it is. That is for them to know, and up to them whether to share with you.

But that's the whole point of this website, to dig deeper into functions and try to understand other people and why they do the things they do.

sculpting

Ni doms are pretty easy to spot....I wouldnt call it the Ni, but instead the reserve and distance associated with being an INXJ. They are away from the world yet also deeply entrenched in the world. When you at their eyes, they are more present externally than an ISXJ would be. The eyes are a really good key-inferior Se I guess.

ENXJs exist outside the normal boundaries of people-dom. That sounds really stupid, I know. But they just step outside of normal bounds-they are more present. I watching an episode of dr who and they said that Donna Noble could bend time around her to create her own new universe. That's what ENXJs do.

I didnt recognize Ni in tert/inf till recently. It gives them a great deal of flexibility that I lack, even though I am also a P. However the flexibility can be bad at times. For instance in an ESTP, FeNi allows them to answer every single question with a different answer...not because they have an evil intent or are snake oil salesmen-but because they are finding the best answer for that person's needs at that particular moment...and in the next moment it may be a different answer for a different person. They can be acting with the very best intent, and each particular answer really was correct.....from that particular perspective. On the positive side, they dont get trapped in Si loops which prevent action and yield resentment.

Ni in text-the words are all curly and shifty, mostly words of action or verbs or abstract. Very little concrete words. I cant always see the context shifts, but when I catch them it is like two cracks in the ground have been temporarily joined adjacently. Extreme Ni is a tantilizing, mysterious puzzle to Ne because it hints of patterns...if only you study the words long enough the pattern can be deciphered, meanings teased out....except that sometimes there is no real pattern, but instead just lots of things stuck together or repeated in slightly different ways. Extreme Ni can also induce Ni in my brain, a bit hypnotically I suppose as it pulls one away from the firm foundations of Si....but this is only temporary, a source of insight, but not of production, as I dont have the historical contexts or se forms to fill with the Ni...I am filling my own Ne-Si forms typicaly

swift sylvan

MBTI Type
NiTi
I doubt that there are alot of
1.clear signs that the person is skilled in using Ni.
2.signs that are pointing only on Ni.

However if you can spot a number of the following traits you are probably dealing with INJ (in my opinion)

1. The persons view of the concepts "past, present, future" is a little bit blurry.

2. Person is not showing any clear signs of bodylanguage, so instead it looks more like a statue most of the time. But it tends to walk faster than most people.

3. You say "This food tastes like crap" and the person replys with "But it is healthy and that is all that counts".

I'd say being healthy is important because of the efficiency I am getting from the food. I feel better, I am getting better nutrients, and I'm less likely to get sick. The taste is pretty arbitrary.

4. The person can pass next to the three cars that smashed into each other and not notice them.

5. The person is willing to challange the teacher. But not only on factual but also on methodological basis. Arguing that his kind of education system is leading us into economic and cultural collapse in incoming decades.

6. The person likes to end other people's sentences.

7. The person likes to think about things like: genocide, the end of love, political incorrectness , pointlessness of life , ..... etc. However the person talks about these subjects very calmly and analitically.
I always feel like it's hard to truly be honest with people because they would rather focus on current events than these major issues.

8. The person is asking you question that have nothing to do with where you are or what you are doing.
This seems general.

9. The person prefers dark or gray clothing.

10. The person's skill to recognize how a group that is bigger from 50 people should be organized is clearly above average.

11. The person has calculated how much money can he or she earn in its life-time if varoius events/scenarios occur. So no matter what happens person remains calm since he/she belives that it has seen all of it.

12. The person thinks that the "trial and error" approach is bad approach in almost all cases.

13. The person is often seen as scary or mystical by its environment.

14. The person often just says his/her judgement and what should be done about event X.

15. The person likes to redefine things and definitions.
But doesn't everyone based on their experiences, or do you mean Ni goes out of it's way to do so?

16. The person is energized by complexity. (especially if the planning is involved)
Yes, but I imagine depending on whether someone is oriented towards things or people will determine what types of complexity they wish to focus on. I love to learn telling things about people (example what is the nicest thing they have ever done), but I just don't enjoy working with objects enough to be an engineer. I have a friend who is the opposite.

17. The person remains self-confidant or at least mostly self-confidant even if there is no obversable reasons to feel like that.

18. The person likes sarcasm.
I think this is also general

19. The person has a hard time remembering the strict line of 10 body moves and is gererally clumsy.

20. The person really likes to have the "last laught".

So if you see most of these traits pretty often in some person you are probably dealing with Ni-dom or at least Ni-aux. (But ok, this list is probably a little bit Te biased)

The Bolds I agree, the Underlines I kind of agree.

Ni sort seems to be an awareness of consequences, but an ability to see consequences that aren't necessarily obvious. Based on my friends who seem Ni there seems to be a deeper seriousness, (though all have the ability to make jokes and a sense of humor) also all love strategy. Ne loves strategy too, but Ne seems better at finding things the rules haven't excluded...

I keep trying to write examples of Ni and how Ni pertains to the world, but everything I want to write doesn't seem to quite capture it. I guess I would say my Ni is most active when it is thinking of how people's actions affect the world on such a large scale with seemingly small scale actions as well as seeing the social systems of this world and how it causes people to have the actions that they have and putting life in an endless cycle depriving people of being able to (my definition) of live. I find general deeper truths that stem just from chewing on different circumstances and facts that I know. I guess I would say my Ni (or what I think is Ni) if sort like sifting through what has been said and observed and understanding what is really being accomplished. I want to add more, but I'll need to sift through all the things I'm considering are Ni.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
But that's the whole point of this website, to dig deeper into functions and try to understand other people and why they do the things they do.

I disagree. I believe the point of this website is for each of us to dig deeper into functions, and try to understand why we ourselves act the way we do. At this point, I see speculating about others as fruitless, because if there is any validity to the theory, then others are talking about seeing things in a way that you or I have no conscious conception of. If having a forum seems pointless then, I'd suggest a couple of things that make it worthwhile: first, people who provide examples behaviorally that we can compare ourselves/relate to, and second, an opportunity to build solidarity and community with people engaging in the same quest that we ourselves are on.

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
For the case of me [Ni-dom], it's the "going all over the place" tangents that I engage in whilst chatting to someone. For this reason, I prefer to chat with people one-on-one or, if I'm lucky, two-on-one. I 'see' the train of thought, but if I were to do this to a larger group of people, they'll lose track.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They cant get past a concept and become stubborn about it. Instead of escaping to Se and figuring out how to move past it they dwell on the it(Dom Ni)...dwelling on something can be either positive or negative.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is one of the best examples of Ni that I've seen (Night's video). There is a constant stepping back and looking at things from a meta-perspective.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Since some people have been proposing INxJ for my type, I couldn't resist going through the checklist Antisocial One originally posted.

Bolded for usually fits.

Italicized for sometimes fits.

1. The persons view of the concepts "past, present, future" is a little bit blurry.

2. Person is not showing any clear signs of bodylanguage, so instead it looks more like a statue most of the time. But it tends to walk faster than most people.

3. You say "This food tastes like crap" and the person replys with "But it is healthy and that is all that counts".

4. The person can pass next to the three cars that smashed into each other and not notice them.

5. The person is willing to challange the teacher. But not only on factual but also on methodological basis. Arguing that his kind of education system is leading us into economic and cultural collapse in incoming decades.

6. The person likes to end other people's sentences.

7. The person likes to think about things like: genocide, the end of love, political incorrectness , pointlessness of life , ..... etc. However the person talks about these subjects very calmly and analitically.

8. The person is asking you question that have nothing to do with where you are or what you are doing.

9. The person prefers dark or gray clothing.

10. The person's skill to recognize how a group that is bigger from 50 people should be organized is clearly above average.

11. The person has calculated how much money can he or she earn in its life-time if varoius events/scenarios occur. So no matter what happens person remains calm since he/she belives that it has seen all of it.

12. The person thinks that the "trial and error" approach is bad approach in almost all cases.

13. The person is often seen as scary or mystical by its environment.

14. The person often just says his/her judgement and what should be done about event X.

15. The person likes to redefine things and definitions.

16. The person is energized by complexity. (especially if the planning is involved)

17. The person remains self-confidant or at least mostly self-confidant even if there is no obversable reasons to feel like that.

18. The person likes sarcasm.

19. The person has a hard time remembering the strict line of 10 body moves and is gererally clumsy.

20. The person really likes to have the "last laught".

Checklist is amusing but can't help but think many of these could apply to most people at different times.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I bought a Selected Writings of Carl Jung last night and read a bit of it...already somewhat familiar with some of his concepts (even outside of personality types!) but want to get a bit more familiar. I think that synchronicity is a very Ni concept. All those connections.

And then I had a lovely moment this morning. After reading about synchronicity last night, I was listening to Led Zeppelin while travelling to work today, and looked over and noticed that the guy next to me was reading Hammer of the Gods, the famous Zeppelin biography. Woohoo!