• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does awareness of MBTI change us?

O

Oberon

We have observed that personalities may be described using the Myers-Briggs system. My question is, if we are aware of how our own personality fits into that descriptive matrix, does it change how we act/think/feel/process information in the course of a given day, as compared to how we might have acted/thought/felt/processed prior to learning about MBTI?

In other words, what real difference does knowing it make?

And does the effect vary with type?

Please discuss.

O

Oberon

No comment? I'm surprised.

It's a forest-for-the-trees question.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it does, at least if you take it semi-seriously.

Taking it to a negative extreme - it could mean that you filter absolutely everything through the filter of "I am INFJ" or whatever you are. So whenever you meet a new person, you may sum them up instantly as ESFJ, INTP, ESTP or whatever and decide that your interaction with them is bound to be highly successful/doomed to failure based on the interaction of your types. You may dismiss your own bad behaviour in some area with "well, that's just how I am because I'm INFJ."

On the positive side - and this is how I try to use it, I hope - it can make you more self-aware. You're more able to step back and see yourself reacting to situations, in a way. You can discern patterns of behaviour more easily because you're more aware of them due to having looked into your MBTI type and seeing how it relates to your life. Then, hopefully, you can encourage the beneficial patterns of behaviour, and try to nip the negative ones in the bud.

THat's how I think it has changed me and my behaviour, anyway.

O

Oberon

So, SilkRoad, you would say that your knowledge of typology is a tool that increases your likelihood of having successful interactions with personality type that would normally be incompatible with yours...?

If that's the case, then would you agree that knowing your MBTI type has actually exerted influence to change your MBTI type... for instance, making you more flexible than your J would otherwise permit?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, SilkRoad, you would say that your knowledge of typology is a tool that increases your likelihood of having successful interactions with personality type that would normally be incompatible with yours...?

If that's the case, then would you agree that knowing your MBTI type has actually exerted influence to change your MBTI type... for instance, making you more flexible than your J would otherwise permit?

Maybe. I think I have become more adaptable in recent years. THat might pre-date my knowledge of MBTI, though. I'm not quite sure.

I've never doubted I was INFJ though. I first took the test about six years ago but in the last three years or so I've looked into MBTI much more deeply. I didn't know anything about it when I took the test so I had no "agenda" or whatever to be INFJ. It just makes far more sense for me than anything else.

I do seem to have become more "P" than I used to be (though still "J"), so your observation is interesting. But I thought that had more to do with some life circumstances in recent years which have required me to be quite flexible/adaptable (like a very changeable and unstable job situation for about three years).

Not sure if any of that answers your question, though ;)

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I believe that I accept others better now that I have a real understanding of the types. I know an ISTJ that I would really hate if it weren't for understanding her letters. It helps me to know that she is naturally blunt and that her values are naturally different from mine.

I also accept some of my weaknesses better. When I read about INFJ weaknesses, I know that there is probably a genetic componant to them.

I also use MBTI when I approach someone. If I know they are a sensor, I will talk more in the sensing realm. It has also helped me to choose friends.

I have really only had positive results from MBTI, not negative ones.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
My guess is that the answer is no. I mean, after all, personality types are nothing but putting a label on how people behave (and even that must be qualified because behavior can also be explained by the logic of the situation), and as such, they don't t say anything new.

Sunny Ghost

Agreed with some of the above comments. I don't necessarily dismiss people and say, "oh... well they're merely a XXXX, so this isn't going to go well." Nor do I dismiss myself and say, "Well, I'm a XXXX, so others will have to get over it."

However, attempting to gauge someone elses type helps to understand others points of view. I'd say I've become much more understanding of others and our differences because of MBTI. With myself, I prefer to use it as a tool for growth. I now better understand my strengths and my weaknesses. I've become less self critical and developed my weaknesses quite a bit since first discovering MBTI. I know what will work for me now, and what won't... or rather would be harder.