• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

OCEAN Personality matrix combining MBTI/Kiersey Temperament

sisyphus

MBTI Type
INTP
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has attempted to create a personality matrix like that used in MBTI and Kiersey Temperament sorter but based on the Big 5 traits / OCEAN dimensions complete with type descriptions. My idea is that if we assume that a given person is at one extreme of each of the five dimensions, we can create a matrix of 32 personality types. Let me know if you think my descriptions are appropriate or not (I have used some Kiersey descriptions):

Conventional
Conscientious
Introvert
Disagreeable
Stable

Inspector

Conventional
Conscientious
Introvert
Agreeable
Stable

Nurse

Open
Conscientious
Introvert
Agreeable
Stable

Counsellor

Open
Conscientious
Introvert
Disagreeable
Stable

Mastermind

Conventional
Conscientious
Introvert
Disagreeable
Neurotic

Soldier

Conventional
Conscientious
Introvert
Agreeable
Neurotic

Server

Open
Conscientious
Introvert
Agreeable
Neurotic

Mystic

Open
Conscientious
Introvert
Disagreeable
Neurotic

Strategist

Conventional
Easy-going
Introvert
Disagreeable
Stable

Crafter

Conventional
Easy-going
Introvert
Agreeable
Stable

Composer

Open
Easy-going
Introvert
Agreeable
Stable

Healer

Open
Easy-going
Introvert
Disagreeable
Stable

Architect

Conventional
Easy-going
Introvert
Disagreeable
Neurotic

Mechanic

Conventional
Easy-going
Introvert
Agreeable
Neurotic

Artist

Open
Easy-going
Introvert
Agreeable
Neurotic

Activist

Open
Easy-going
Introvert
Disagreeable
Neurotic

Philosopher

Conventional
Easy-going
Extravert
Disagreeable
Stable

Promoter

Conventional
Easy-going
Extravert
Agreeable
Stable

Socialite

Open
Easy-going
Extravert
Agreeable
Stable

Entrepreneur

Open
Easy-going
Extravert
Disagreeable
Stable

Inventor

Conventional
Easy-going
Extravert
Disagreeable
Neurotic

Delinquent

Conventional
Easy-going
Extravert
Agreeable
Neurotic

Performer

Open
Easy-going
Extravert
Agreeable
Neurotic

Campaigner

Open
Easy-going
Extravert
Disagreeable
Neurotic

Comedian

Conventional
Conscientious
Extravert
Disagreeable
Stable

Administrator

Conventional
Conscientious
Extravert
Agreeable
Stable

Sales Manager

Open
Conscientious
Extravert
Agreeable
Stable

Teacher

Open
Conscientious
Extravert
Disagreeable
Stable

Field Marshall

Conventional
Conscientious
Extravert
Disagreeable
Neurotic

Clerk

Conventional
Conscientious
Extravert
Agreeable
Neurotic

Home maker

Open
Conscientious
Extravert
Agreeable
Neurotic

Politician

Open
Conscientious
Extravert
Disagreeable
Neurotic

Dictator

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The way I've attempted to integrate them is by a factor to factor correlation. But it's not the factors that the correlators who have studied it think.

extraversion=E/I, of course.
openness=S/N
agreeableness=directing/informing (usually mapped to T/F, but this is only so for S's)*
conscientiousness=cooperative/pragmatic (usually mapped to J/P, but this is only so for S's)*
Neuroticism is the one missing from MBTI. An advanced version, called the Type Differentiation Indicator, attempts to add a new factor, called Comfort/Discomfort, to match Neuroticism.
*(For N's both of these factors are swapped)

What I had determined, looking at Hans Eysenck's original definition of Neuroticism, is that it actually fits a combination of the first two; E/I and Directing/informing. These are actually the original temperament factors, of expressiveness and responsiveness or "people/task".
The healthiest or lowest Neuroticism temperaments were identified by Eysenck as the Sanguine and Phlegmatic. Both were "people-focused", or what Berens would call "informing". Choleric and Melancholic were more Neurotic, and are directive, or task-focused. So it looked like Neuroticism simply paralleled people/task or Agreeableness.

But in five temperament theory, the Phlegmatic ends up, not as introverted and people-focused, but rather moderate in both scales. The true people-oriented introvert was an unrecognized fifth temperament, which the discoverers of this theory called Supine.
But Supine, from it's descriptions, is very neurotic. Because of the very fact that they are so people focused, and want interaction, yet lack the mechanism to express (i.e. are very shy). So they end up very frustrated, and are often taken advantage of, or moved to do things they don't want to do.
The Sanguine and Phlegmatic remain the "low Neuroticism" temperaments, but what they share in common, is no longer people-focus, because the Phlegmatic is really inbetween. The Sanguine is high on both scales, and the Phlegmatic is moderate in both scales. The other three temperaments all share at least one low factor, and lowness in either expressiveness or responsiveness indicates some form of movement away from people. This appears to be what is connected with Neuroticism.
the Sanguine wants a lot of interaction, and can easily express to people to get what they want. the Phlegmatic can take people or leave them, so do not have much of a need, and thus, less stress. The others either do not want people, or are shy and avoidant of them, or both. This stems from some sort of overstimulatability in interaction (where the Sanguine is understimulated, and the Phlegmatic is balanced). Hence, those other three end up not as emotionally "healthy" as the other two.

So this seems to be a way to integrate the fifth factor into the four temperament theories, and thus into type (which consists of the temperaments in the forms of both the Interaction Styles, and Keirsey's groups).

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm strong on reserved and open. The other three are more in the middle. I lean towards agreeable and conscientious. Pretty evenly split on calm/neuortic but lately I've felt more neurotic. Could just be PMS or stress. So that makes me a mystic or counselor, neither one accurately describes me. I identify more with strategist.

According to Eric's hypothesis, with my combination of Big Five traits, I'd be an MBTI INFP.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The way I've attempted to integrate them is by a factor to factor correlation. But it's not the factors that the correlators who have studied it think.

extraversion=E/I, of course.
openness=S/N
agreeableness=directing/informing (usually mapped to T/F, but this is only so for S's)*
conscientiousness=cooperative/pragmatic (usually mapped to J/P, but this is only so for S's)*
Neuroticism is the one missing from MBTI. An advanced version, called the Type Differentiation Indicator, attempts to add a new factor, called Comfort/Discomfort, to match Neuroticism.
*(For N's both of these factors are swapped)

This is an interesting way of looking at it, I like it. I usually see Conscientiousness linked to J/P and Agreeableness linked to T/F in all cases, but Eric's approach directly connects my INTP-T score with my RLUAI score.