• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you guys try to assign a type to everyone you meet too?

Chloe

I used to do it then i figured how f'in idiotic it is. i cant view people through type anymore, not nearly as much as before. i am tired of mbti, and srsly started to doubt it's relevance.

tayto

I do it with every single person I meet, hear about or read about in a book. I can't stop it and I feel like some trainspotting weirdo for doing it. I find it can kill the spontaneity sometimes cos I have to pause to think "Hhm... she only noticed the new ridiculously faster route to work now, after 3 years that is clearly signposted. I wonder how many other things isfj's have not yet noticed. If perception is reality does that mean an isfj is seeing how the world looked a few years ago? That would mean an entp is seeing the world as it will be a few years ahead, or at least how it could be if instead of laughing at him people actually listened. Are istj's just as oblivious to the new improvements going on around them? How many of the other types are oblivious to change?" It goes on and on like that and the whole time she will be chatting away and I'll be nodding in all the right places, not listening to a word. I always feel bad and inconsiderate for letting my thoughts do what they like but I think mankind is better off if millions of us do have these kinds of thoughts, not all of us will get to put them to use on a large scale but some of us will get the chance and the whole of mankind will benefit from it. All that said I still feel like a weirdo though.

tayto

I used to do it then i figured how f'in idiotic it is. i cant view people through type anymore, not nearly as much as before. i am tired of mbti, and srsly started to doubt it's relevance.

I think it will only become relevant if governments start using it to implement policies that suit each type. Look at the education system. It's retarded to lump everyone in together and just hope for the best. You have to take into account that estp's don't see the relevance of learning something they know will not be relevant to them in their lives. It's a waste of time. They can easily get by on their wits, lets develope them. Teachers giving millions of estp's a chip on their shoulder for being stupid is not helping our planet. It's retarded. Holding intp's and intj's back by explaining trigonometry to an esfj is fucking retarded. Entp's being told they have ADHD is retarded.

Have you noticed how few people have even heard of Carl Jung? I have to explain who he was to everyone I know, yet everyone knows who Freud was. Freudians got in with corporate america and helped them con the people into becoming a consumer society by tapping into their unconscious desires. You have freud to blame for all those annoying commercials. The people who are running the show, the world bank, the imf, the rapers and pilligers of all of us. They don't want us to know who we really are. How could they sell us products? Their adds work by making us feel inferior to the people in the adds, implying that if we buy this item we will be like them. Our skin will have a magical glow and we'll feel as if we've arived. What would happen if people only bought what they need? A frightening prospect for any marketer. People are frightened for the economy and don't want to rock the boat with seemingly irrelevant notions about types. It can seem that it is irrelevant but I am quite sure it is not. If people stopped trying to be something they are not and never can be and started realising that who they are is a million times better than who they could ever invent, the whole world will benefit. That's the message I got from Carl Jung anyway. Be proud of who you are cos you have a divine purpose. Each one of us. Trillions would be lost if such a notion was rammed down all our fucking throats.

Qre:us

No. That's ridiculous. Most times, I do not have enough information to make such a decision.

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
Not everyone. Sometimes a stranger (uh, not that I have that much contact with strangers) will do something, and I'll think "Hmm, they seem like a xxxx" Or maybe if I'm sitting somewhere and people-watching (don't ask) I might look at people and try to guess, just for fun. But usually I only take time thinking about it thoroughly, if they are close to me. I'm also more interested in trying to type musicians/actors/artists etc. than strangers. Like others have said, it will more than likely pass in time.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
No. That's ridiculous. Most times, I do not have enough information to make such a decision.

Your reply is about as foggy as this thread's question, or victor.

Isn't always about not having enough info; it can be about having a buttload without knowing where to start.

I find that I usually just have way too much. Important to move around whatever found through however many lenses you have available, quint, shift the light for the closest answer, but what's a conclusion? Probably depends on how you interpret "assign".

Makes complete sense to filter behavior through, make a leap every third thought, but so long as you keep those thoughts to yourself and remain open to suggestion, I can't tell what's the issue, but you're either going against the grain for the sake of it or trying to explain a more exclusively, ideal?, extroverted perception of approaching typo.

To suggest there's a possibility that you have 100% control over your actions or, better yet, thoughts - that's ridiculous.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not everyone. Sometimes a stranger (uh, not that I have that much contact with strangers) will do something, and I'll think "Hmm, they seem like a xxxx" Or maybe if I'm sitting somewhere and people-watching (don't ask) I might look at people and try to guess, just for fun. But usually I only take time thinking about it thoroughly, if they are close to me. I'm also more interested in trying to type musicians/actors/artists etc. than strangers. Like others have said, it will more than likely pass in time.

i feel like it's almost parabolic in nature.

you know someone too well, it's harder to tell. too much information. you don't know someone well enough, it's harder to tell. too little information.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I sometimes do that, but only when I meet an unusual person.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Yeah, it kind of just happens. It's what I'm interested in and so I start piecing everything together. I'm fairly accurate the first time I make a final assessment. It's a game to me and a conversation starter at times.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Short answer: No.

I did, however, type about ten individuals I know IRL, most of whom are my closest friends.

D

Dali

It happens almost subconsciously and I'm usually right.

ISFPs are extremely perceptive and aware of others. They constantly gather specific information about people, and seek to discover what it means. They are usually penetratingly accurate in their perceptions of others.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yes, it's kinda addicting. i like getting people to take the mbti after i guess to see if i was right. i almost always am, i get confused with S/N sometimes though.

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Yeah I do.

Even on people on forums (even if they have their type listed :) ).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i almost always have a hypothesis. if it doesn't come to me, it doesn't come to me, although, if the person is interesting, i'm probably trying to figure them out in all the ways i can regardless. but i think, more than anything, i'm like anyone else looking for connections, considering possibilities, and trying to figure out how i might relate to different people. with that said, i am certainly invested in building a typological framework for myself apart from the present situation. it's a central piece of my model of the universe, so if i like the current problem, well, that can carry me along and get me interested in whatever puzzle i have to work on right now.

Sunny Ghost

I am constantly analyzing everyone and attempting to figure out their type. I feel as though there are better things I could focus my energy towards... but I can't seem to help it. It only bothers me because I feel obsessive about typing and mbti, and as though I have little else to discuss with others, because I'm so consumed by it.

Sunny Ghost

yes, it's kinda addicting. i like getting people to take the mbti after i guess to see if i was right. i almost always am, i get confused with S/N sometimes though.

likewise. :)

i've been telling a friend of mine for ages that she was an ESTJ and not an ISTJ like she believed herself to be. (her sister gave her the test originally, as that's what she does for a living... and told her she was an ISTJ). she retook the test a week or so ago and texted me and said that i was right about her being an ESTJ. :D

but yes, there have been several instances in which i've guessed a friends type and then had them take the test. and thus far, i've yet to be wrong.

but there are some people that seem to be enigmas and unfitting to any particular type.

D

Dali

but there are some people that seem to be enigmas and unfitting to any particular type.

Yeah, and it's so frustrating especially when it's ridiculously easy typing most people! I have a pal that could be INTP, ISTP, ISFP or INTJ and the fact that I can't narrow it down was eating away at me for a while. lol Total engima!