• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Luna's (over)Simplified Cognitive Function Guide

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, in class recently, the discussion was of critical thinking and creative thinking: how they are different, and how they work. This instantly reminded me of typological stuff.

So this is how it seems to me how critical and creative thinking work together:

We start with Se, the flow of present information...

Then to Si, this information once it's in the storehouse...

Then Ni, which looks at this information and goes "aha!"

Then Ne takes this "aha!" and idea jumps from it...

and Ti goes and defines these ideas clearly...

then Te goes and makes a plan on how to apply those ideas...

then Fe makes a plan about how the ideas will work with others..

and Fi defines how these ideas work with oneself

then, action!

Now I am looking for where I went right with this and where I went horribly wrong, and some ideas for improvement.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
Meh, I think critical thinking involves Ti and creative thinking involves Ne. I ****ing hate both of them. No brainstorming or reassessments of the nature of things please.

I did some studying earlier today that involved me reformulating concepts so as to appear helpful to my group and I was so stressed out by the end. I was very tense. Luckily I had a long drive to utilize my Se. It was very relaxing despite an ***wipe that honked at me.

Not that I don't like your post lu :D...

I like the idea that creative thinking is a way of tapping into all the various ways of perceiving and interpreting the world around you as well as it's related concepts. Surely, there are some great writings out there. I'm just not sure I'd associate it with such a holistic approach.

Last edited:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, as far as how those match up:

Se and Si is the data to start with

Ni and Ne is the creative part

Ti and Te is the critical part

and Fe and Fi is the final deciding and reacting part

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
You can't use both Fi and Fe, it's one of the others. Same goes for Ne/Ni, Te/Ti, etc.
Just like you can't have both Ti/Fi, Se/Ne, etc.

Sunny Ghost

I liked this. I found it to be a simple way to understand cognitive types.

As far as how they relate to critical thinking and creative thinking though... I would think critical thinking would be rooted in any of the introverted functions. Each person is capable of being or becoming a critical thinker, I would think. However, it may involve more effort for some than for others. Creative thinking, on the other hand, I would like to say any of the functions... but honestly I'd probably relate it to Se, Ne, Ni and Ti. But there are creative writers of all varieties. Creative utilization of the functions you are given. But each type has a different style.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You can't use both Fi and Fe, it's one of the others. Same goes for Ne/Ni, Te/Ti, etc.

Well maybe not all at the same time. That'd probably make one's head explode.

But we use all 8, some are just used more than others.

And I happen to be use Ti and Fi quite often.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, to follow my guide, we all follow this general progression, but some of us spend more time in some parts than others.

For example: an xSFP would be more likely to get caught up in the initial Se for a long time, then rush through the other six into the final step Fi.

Or an xNTP may rush to the Ne Ti part, get caught up in a loop around that, and never get close to taking action until the xNTP is able to make use of his/her weaker functions ;)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

come on coco...you don't actually think that do you?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well maybe not all at the same time. That'd probably make one's head explode.

But we use all 8, some are just used more than others.

And I happen to be use Ti and Fi quite often.

i've noticed this a lot in both intps and infps.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Any more ideas for improvement?