• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why INJs (sometimes) find temperament unhelpful for self-typing.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Are you an INJ? Did you have trouble initially deciding whether you're an NT or an NF, despite the fact that the two are completely different temperaments?

If you're an INJ who totally resonates with their temperament, or someone who believes that individual letter preference strength is independent of type, then this will probably seem ridiculous to you.

Have you ever wondered why everyone else swears by temperament theory, and think it adequately explains things, while to you it seems kind of like an arbitrary boundary between things that don't seem mutually exclusive?

Well, I have an answer. Look at this:

NF-NTDiagram.png

There are several reasons why INJs are left as outliers. The chief reason, is their rarity in the population (the statistics showing that INJs are the rarest types are well-known, so I will not bother to source them). The majority of INxx types are INPs, for whom the system works perfectly. ENJs and ENPs do not generally feel enough of a disparity to question the concept, though they probably feel far less certain about it than INPs. It really only affects INJs, thus the tool was built around handling the most common situation.

I feel I should also note that the creator of MBTI herself, Isabel Myers, was an INFP, and hence saw things from an INFP perspective. David Keirsey, another major proponent of temperament theory, was an INTP. Therefore, not only was the data based on majority of Intuitives tested, who were not INJs, but the designers of the system themselves were INPs, and thus saw things from an INP perspective. I'm not saying that they were deliberately biased, however. In fact, even if they saw this disparity, there might have been no way to fix the system for INJs without making it less helpful for the majority of Intuitives. I do think that it should have been noted, however.

Now, Keirsey clearly realized some of the issues with dividing people who have the SAME dominant function, at least among Sensors. It was this sense that lead him to create temperaments that would group together both ESPs and both ISJs, yet he actually created a new problem by placing both ESJs and both ISPs into the same temperaments, destroying the ST and SF temperaments for those who found them most useful. Perhaps his experiences involved more ESPs and ISJs, so he felt compelled to repair the situation for them? I don't know.

What I do know, is that this issue is created by attempting to reduce Jungian theory into something similar to the ancient four temperament system Galen came up with (Sanguine, Melancholy, Choleric, Phlegmatic). I believe that doing so is actually a mistake. Jung (his type is debated, but my ego would like to believe he was an INFJ) would never have done this, and I doubt he would have condoned it when Isabel and Keirsey did it. In Jungian theory, a person's basic type IS their dominant function, and the auxiliary is a balancing function that a person has a much weaker preference for in general. The fact that most people acknowledge that it doesn't even start developing until age 12, is a fairly good indicator that it's not at the core of a person's psyche, and does not define them the way a dominant function does.

Now, I believe that the motivation in doing this, was to describe how types generally appear to other people, as the J/P dichotomy attempts to do. Not to describe their underlying motivations. In this, it is partly successful, but often assigns people incorrectly due to being grossly incongruent with the underlying system.

My suggestion to everyone is this... pay careful attention to functions and individual type descriptions. Do not type yourself using temperament theory, because it often uses strong stereotypes... it could well make a person in academia or intellectual subjects think they're an NT, a person in business or theology think they're an SJ, and a social worker or "emo" person think they're an NF. The archetypes implied by them are quite superficial, and usually not representative of underlying psychology. Jung is probably turning over in his grave every time people rely on it to type themselves or validate their typing.

Note that I have made three basic assumptions while writing this:

1. Dominant functions filter the flavor of all the functions below them.

2. Function strength is largely decided by type. There can be slight variations, but not major ones. If there are major ones, you belong to a different type.

3. Introverted functions are felt a little more strongly as part of the self, if placed in the dominant or auxiliary positions.

I apologize if this thread has been created before... I wasn't able to find it using a search, and the idea has occurred to me several times.

This issue may in fact disappear to some extent with INJs who extravert themselves a lot, and make heavy use of the auxiliary such that they come to identify with it almost as much as Ni. This is especially true if they leave their tertiary function relatively undeveloped. However, I think that these INJs tend to be more the exception than the rule (though INJs seem to be the exception to MOST rules anyway).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So you're saying you hate Keirsey?

I'm just curious. Simulated World once said the N types should be NJ and NP rather than NT and NF, but I disagree.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh also I'd like to add here that INTJs seem very NT to me, and INFJs are still NFs...even if you guys have a harder time seeing it yourselves. I think of INTJs as being pretty damn T-ish, actually, which is why they are sometimes called robots.

Could this just be your individual issue? Because you seem pretty Fe to me.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So you're saying you hate Keirsey?

No, I don't hate him. I just disagree with him. I can understand why he came up with the theory he did, I'm just pointing out some of the compromises he made and how they don't work for everyone.

I'm just curious. Simulated World once said the N types should be NJ and NP rather than NT and NF, but I disagree.

I once thought so, but not anymore. If we changed it to NJ and NP, the temperaments might work better for INJs, but it wouldn't work as well for other types, who have much stronger identification with T/F.

I'm saying that I think that temperament theory is flawed in and of itself, and is based on a misguided desire to map Jungian theory back to the simpler theory of Galen's four temperaments. Which is far too simplistic to accurately capture Jungian theory. Whichever approach you take, you end up lumping together too many types, and some will always be better representatives of the temperament than others.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you actually hated Keirsey, I meant do you hate his theory. lol.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Athenian200 said:
Are you an INJ?

No. I am INFP.
Did you have trouble initially deciding whether you're an NT or an NF, despite the fact that the two are completely different temperaments?

Yes.
Have you ever wondered why everyone else swears by temperament theory, and think it adequately explains things, while to you it seems kind of like an arbitrary boundary between things that don't seem mutually exclusive?

A lot of people dislike temperament theory because the way it categorizes types can seem stereotypical. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I find it somewhat useful as a very, very vague guide. I mostly dislike Keirsey too (who I think is ISTP in MBTI & Jungian theory).

I feel I should also note that the creator of MBTI herself, Isabel Myers, was an INFP, and hence saw things from an INFP perspective.

I don't find the test to be from an INFP perspective. It's from Isabel Myer's perspective. As an INFP, I have a problem with the way Feeling is portrayed on the test, and it's likely why I test low on Feeling & highest on I & N, even though I am Fi-dom. I don't relate to MBTI's picture of Feeling.

Frankly, I also don't see INJs as so speshial that they don't fit into a NF or NT temperament. INFJs don't seem more NTish to me than other NFs at all.....nor do INTJs seem more NFish. My personal experience is that I DO relate more to an INFJ than an ENTP, even though I share Ne with ENTPs & no main functions with INFJs. The fact of the matter is, we still both judge with feeling & perceive with intuition, even if our judging & perceiving have different "attitudes".

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you an INJ? Did you have trouble initially deciding whether you're an NT or an NF, despite the fact that the two are completely different temperaments?

Yes, I'm an INJ. No, I didn't have any trouble wondering if I was NF. ISTJ or ISTP perhaps but not NF.

If you're an INJ who totally resonates with their temperament, or someone who believes that individual letter preference strength is independent of type, then this will probably seem ridiculous to you.

Functions seem more useful to me than temperament actually.

Well, I have an answer. Look at this:

NF-NTDiagram.png

This is interesting, but where do you get that? What's it based on?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Oh also I'd like to add here that INTJs seem very NT to me, and INFJs are still NFs...even if you guys have a harder time seeing it yourselves. I think of INTJs as being pretty damn T-ish, actually, which is why they are sometimes called robots.

Could this just be your individual issue? Because you seem pretty Fe to me.

Well, it might be. But I do know INTJs and INFJs who struggle with the issue. The thing is, INFJs are much more analytical than they appear, and INTJs are much more emotional than they appear. It's very apparent to themselves, and people who know them well. The Te and Fe actually don't run very deep... for instance, I'm the sort of person who would laugh at extremely sick jokes (the kind that NTs make), but then a few moments later feel ashamed of myself for finding it funny, possibly even apologizing. The difference is, an INTJ wouldn't feel ashamed at all. And an F dominant person would probably feel disgusted immediately and not laugh at all.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, I'm an INJ. No, I didn't have any trouble wondering if I was NF. ISTJ or ISTP perhaps but not NF.

You wouldn't be the target audience, then. But thank you for reading.

Functions seem more useful to me than temperament actually.

That was my point, actually. Glad you agree. ;)

This is interesting, but where do you get that? What's it based on?

The functions. The assumption is that the dominant function is always the strongest function. Then, I assume that Ni is the most N, Fi is the most F, and Ti is the most T. Therefore, the type with dominant Ni is the most N, and having only an auxiliary and extraverted T or F, has a weaker T/F preference than the other types in their temperament.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, it might be. But I do know INTJs and INFJs who struggle with the issue. The thing is, INFJs are much more analytical than they appear, and INTJs are much more emotional than they appear. It's very apparent to themselves, and people who know them well. The Te and Fe actually don't run very deep... for instance, I'm the sort of person who would laugh at extremely sick jokes (the kind that NTs make), but then a few moments later feel ashamed of myself for finding it funny, possibly even apologizing. The difference is, an INTJ wouldn't feel ashamed at all. And an F dominant person would probably feel disgusted immediately and not laugh at all.

Hmm yes but INFJ logical and INTJ emotional don't look alike. And I know a couple or three INFJs who seem especially Ti-ish who I still know are INFJs and their Fe shines like a light they can't hide under a bushel.

Same with INTJs ... their emo doesn't look like Fe to me. It looks like sweet, childlike (and occasionally insanely immature and vindictive "MY WAY MY WAY") Fi.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hmm yes but INFJ logical and INTJ emotional don't look alike. And I know a couple or three INFJs who seem especially Ti-ish who I still know are INFJs and their Fe shines like a light they can't hide under a bushel.

Yes, of course. That's the other thing... sometimes the tertiary function is heavily developed. So a heavily introverted INFJ can be very Ni-Ti, and a heavily introverted INTJ can be very Ni-Fi. That's when they get mistaken for other types, sometimes even by themselves. I've also had a lot of INTJs suggest I was an INTJ, and a lot of INTPs suggest I was an INTP... at various times. Although, that's probably because I'm deliberately curbing emotional response in interaction with them, which is ironically a very Fe thing to do.

Now of course, the difference between the two types is STILL obvious to anyone who knows that INTJs use Fi/Te, and INFJs use Ti/Fe. But someone using temperament theory could easily misinterpret an INFJs Ni-Ti for being an NT, or an INTJs Ni-Fi for being an NF. I've seen it happen. Basically, I'm arguing that temperament theory is generally less useful compared to looking at functions, because it often leads people to incorrect conclusions.
Same with INTJs ... their emo doesn't look like Fe to me. It looks like sweet, childlike (and occasionally insanely immature and vindictive "MY WAY MY WAY") Fi.

Hehe. I would have to agree with that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, of course. That's the other thing... sometimes the tertiary function is heavily developed. So a heavily introverted INFJ can be very Ni-Ti, and a heavily introverted INTJ can be very Ni-Fi. That's when they get mistaken for other types, sometimes even by themselves. I've also had a lot of INTJs suggest I was an INTJ, and a lot of INTPs suggest I was an INTP... at various times. Although, that's probably because I'm deliberately curbing emotional response in interaction with them, which is ironically a very Fe thing to do.

Now of course, the difference between the two types is STILL obvious to anyone who knows that INTJs use Fi/Te, and INFJs use Ti/Fe. But someone using temperament theory could easily misinterpret an INFJs Ni-Ti for being an NT, or an INTJs Ni-Fi for being an NF. I've seen it happen. Basically, I'm arguing that temperament theory is generally less useful compared to looking at functions, because it often leads people to incorrect conclusions.

I do think you're right. I've seen someone on this site who likes Keirsey saying an ENTP is an ENFP because he doesn't differentiate between ENFP Fi behavior and ENTP tertiary Fe, when it's pretty obvious to most people who study type that the person is an ENTP.

The other problem with Keirsey is making the mistake of typing someone by situational behavior. For example, someone with social anxiety might act more IxFJ around people they just met, even if they're a totally different type et al.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also, I went through a Keirsey phase myself, where I rejected function theory because it got too confusing.

Then it's as though one day I finally understood it. I rejected it because I wasn't getting something. It's more complex, and it takes long in depth study, especially for someone who thinks like I do, who isn't as linear.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Absolutely. Whether primarily applying temperament theory or attempting to decipher mbti type outright, it doesn't take long to realize how complex of a puzzle it is, that people require some amount of investment. Posting on this forum and otherwise, I assume that others analyze by function, though it doesn't seem all that prevalent. Or attempt.

I think of it as playing reverse mental jenga. Or, for each person, one long, relatively simple algebra equation.

Opposites, semi-duals, etc. Some are really lopsided.

(Assuming mbti types translate cleanly to socionics, so long as you don't attach yourself to either system's set of functions) Interesting remark on the ILI/intp / EII/infj dynamic. I've read stories going both ways; whether it's the beneficiary perceiving his/her own type in the other or the other way around.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I do think you're right. I've seen someone on this site who likes Keirsey saying an ENTP is an ENFP because he doesn't differentiate between ENFP Fi behavior and ENTP tertiary Fe, when it's pretty obvious to most people who study type that the person is an ENTP.

Another good example. You know, maybe I should have made this thread more generally about why I don't believe temperament theory is adequate for most purposes.
The other problem with Keirsey is making the mistake of typing someone by situational behavior. For example, someone with social anxiety might act more IxFJ around people they just met, even if they're a totally different type et al.

I actually forgot about that one, but it's true. It makes things too situational, and people can easily seem like different types in different contexts... so you need a picture of their overall mindset, not just their behavior. That's where functions come in.

Also, I went through a Keirsey phase myself, where I rejected function theory because it got too confusing.

Actually, that's what most people do. In fact, many people never move past that phase. That's what I was calling them out on.
Then it's as though one day I finally understood it. I rejected it because I wasn't getting something. It's more complex, and it takes long in depth study, especially for someone who thinks like I do, who isn't as linear.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. You saw enough examples that you realized your previous interpretation was missing something, and changed your thinking. That's an excellent example of open-mindedness and a willingness to question your own assumptions.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think one of the keys to integrating temperament theory with type (and thus, the functions) is realizing that there are really TWO separate temperament matrices interlaced in the theory. The familiar one introduced by Keirsey is the "conative" model, and then there are also the Interaction Styles, which are "affective" temperaments. They are not usually called "temperaments", but that is exactly what they are; corresponding to the same four Galen temperaments.
In fact, they are a bit more in line with the classic temperaments, which deal with basic social behavior, which is what "affective" means". "conative" deals with another "area" of behavior; and that is action and leadership skills (conative means "dealing with action"). That right there is one cause of confusion about temperament and type at times.

So each type ends up as a combination of one conative temperament with a distinct affective temperament. Even the classic Galen theory was modified to allow blends, yielding four "pure" types plus 12 "blends"; yielding a total of 16!

So while INJ's have separate conative temperaments, they are apart of the same affective temperament (INJ for N's, and IST on the S side). This will explain why the type categories supposedly neglected by Keirsey (Ni dominance, as well as the ST group) will still figure in type.
ESP's and ISJ's have the same conative group, which also happens to correspond with the dominant function, while the conative group is all the ESJ's and ISP's will have in common. It doesn't have to be one OR the other, or even one being "better" or "not as accurate". The different concepts are explaining different angles of personality type.

So to me, it looks like they all work together.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I believe this is something you see more frequently with INFJs... especially those here on the forum who are more analytical frequently use Ni Ti which may resemble NTs on the surface. But INFJs and INTJs are very different.

So it's more like
INFJs -> most similar to NTs
INTJ -> most similar to NFs

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I believe this is something you see more frequently with INFJs... especially those here on the forum who are more analytical frequently use Ni Ti which may resemble NTs on the surface. But INFJs and INTJs are very different.

So it's more like
INFJs -> most similar to NTs
INTJ -> most similar to NFs

Yes, that's what I mean. I have met some INTJs who mistook themselves for NFs in general, but they tended to use Fi where INFJs use Fe, so you could still tell them apart. They were more likely to relate to INFPs than INFJs.

Although, INTJs and INFJs still have more in common with each other than with most other types. The biggest similarity is that they can feel like they're not NT enough due to idealizing their own ideas and strong passion, and we can feel like we're not NF enough due to a need for practical goals, order, and obsessive analysis.

The main thing I wanted to illustrate is that INJs seem to exist at a point on the spectrum where the temperaments are not as distinct from each other. The types themselves, however, are quite distinct. And if you consider the whole type, the distinctions are made much more obvious and intuitive.

V

violaine

^Agree.

I'm INFJ and I don't identify strongly with the reputation for effusiveness or demonstrable vulnerability that those with the feeling preference often have. I'm an intuitive first and foremost and that colors everything. I suspect it is the same for other INFJs. I can easily see the feeling preference at work in terms of caring for others but it is much less observable in caring for ourselves or expressing intense emotion. I won't do that unless I'm very comfortable and only if I feel like entering that state. That seems to be the root of the feeling of F/T hybridization for me.

I had a lot of trouble folk-typing an INTJ I know. I wondered if he was an armored INFP for the longest time because his emotions would sometimes unexpectedly surface and they were most definitely of a Fi variety. He and I have an uncanny amount in common in terms of the way we view the world, though he has a harder edge in general and I am more empathetic. He is very compassionate if he has experienced a situation personally and cares a lot about the few people very close to him. Everyone else is outside the bounds of caring and his feelings. In contrast, though we appear very similar to others on the surface (people have remarked about our similarities), I am empathetic in general until someone does something I really don't like. I also relate to your tendency to laugh at jokes that others find distasteful but feel terrible afterward if somebody else was hurt or offended.

I have trouble dealing with strong emotions from others, which tends to make me shrink from the company of those who express difficult emotions in an unrestrained way. (This includes some Ts, whose dominant energy is aggression/anger/dissatisfaction). It makes me feel run over and then angry if I can't get away. My INTJ friend similarly shrinks from those kinds of people, though I'm not certain as to the exact motivation.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I believe this is something you see more frequently with INFJs... especially those here on the forum who are more analytical frequently use Ni Ti which may resemble NTs on the surface.

my thoughts too.

there's a guy in one of my classes i thought was an INTJ at first, but he gave a presentation today, and the Ti was so obvious. definitely INFJ.

to be honest i don't think i've ever mistaken an INTJ for an INFJ, only the other way around. i think it's true that their "affect" is similar. i had sort of the same thing happen as violaine did, though - wondered if an INTJ was an especially armored INFP due to the occasional bouts of Fi. but that was before i really understood the functions, so i was just all confused that someone who i thought was T was being so F-y.

i disagree about INFP and INTP being obvious, though. while INTPs are usually hard to mistake for INFPs, INFPs can be mistaken for INTPs (and mistake themselves for INTPs) especially if they are enneagram 5s.

Athenian200 said:
for instance, I'm the sort of person who would laugh at extremely sick jokes (the kind that NTs make), but then a few moments later feel ashamed of myself for finding it funny, possibly even apologizing. The difference is, an INTJ wouldn't feel ashamed at all. And an F dominant person would probably feel disgusted immediately and not laugh at all.

lol maybe, i think sick NT jokes are hilarious though :laugh:

i don't know what i think about the SP, SJ, NF, and NT divisions. i don't really think NP and NJ are really any better than NF/NT. in my head i tend to just group by the last three letters, so we have 8 similar pairs. personally i associate most with ENTP-INFP-INTJ, so i suppose that's a kind of quadrant, but that just complicates things.