• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what temperament drives what car?

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Based on the "driver by type"-thread I wondered wether there could be strong links between temperaments and certain types of cars.

Would you, e.g., agree that Alfa-Romeo's are very popular among SP's and that SJ's might be fond of Volkswagen?
Any other idea's? And if so, it would be nice to see wether there are differences between the continents...

alicia91

I drive a large SUV but that's because of what I do for a living (need to carry a ladder, lots of tools, samples, etc.), the winter weather around here, and the fact that I'm still driving kids around (my own plus a friend or two). So it's just practical, but I like SUVs to begin with though I am concerned about the environmental impact.

redacted

my SJ mom has a buick because if one of her kids crashes it, they'll be safer. that fear somehow overrides 13 miles/gallon lol.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
And what type drives Japanese cars? I always thought that would be an NT-thing. NF's are a mystery to me, though...

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Would you, e.g., agree that Alfa-Romeo's are very popular among SP's and that SJ's might be fond of Volkswagen?
It can't be determined by type since vehicles would most likely be relative to earnings, environment residing in and the utilization of a vehicle. Otherwise, any indication would be a stereotype. I drive a Jeep and will most likely continue to drive some form of SUV for utility purposes. As for your example, I did own a Saab once, but I would not have an Alfa-Romeo unless it was given to me.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I drive a minivan but that is because I have four kids. I've never bought a car just because I liked it.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I drive a minivan but that is because I have four kids. I've never bought a car just because I liked it.
Exactly. With SP and NTs utilitarian need, they would never go out and spend money on something they will not use or will not be of utilitarian usage.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
SJ: Safe, reliable, luxurious. Anything Swedish, such as a Volvo or Saab, or a Buick.

SP: Sporty, sexy, fast. Look into Porsche, Mustang, or Ferrari.

NF: Environmentally friendly, affordable, looks do not matter. Look into carpooling or an electric car from Toyota or Honda.

NT: Anything with gadgets, power, and ahead of its time. Look into anything German or Japanese, or the higher end model of almost any car, also consider a DeLorean.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, NF's can be just as utilitarian. I don't really think it's a type thing, it just boils down to your values. Most of my good friends (most of whom are NF's! :) are very practical when it comes to cars, but it's because none of us really value them for their looks or status or anything like that.

For me, fuel efficiency is really important, as well as a car that will last a long time, and both of those are my priorities. I can't stand gas-guzzling cars, and I plan to run my car into the ground before I get a new one, regardless of what it looks like in its final days.

My first car was a Civic. I loved it. However, it got stolen from my parking lot 4 yrs later while I was on vacation, was taken to a chop shop where they removed *everything* covering the engine, leaving only the engine on wheels, and the rest of the car was perfectly fine. Insurance declared it totalled :steam: , and I had to get a corolla that I don't like as much, because the check I got wouldn't pay for another civic of the model/yr I'd had.

The toyota is perfectly fine..it's just I liked my civic better!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Exactly. With SP and NTs utilitarian need, they would never go out and spend money on something they will not use or will not be of utilitarian usage.
I don't know. My mom is an SP and she always likes the luxury cars. I, an NF, have driven totally beat up vehicles and been happy to do it because I paid so little for them and they got good mileage. I like to spend money on stuff I care about, not getting from point A to point B. I do find I'm enjoying the luxury features on the 2005 van we got a few months ago, though. The automatic sliding doors rock and so does the DVD player.

If I could just buy whatever I wanted I'd probably go for something fuel efficient and cute.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's all about power and the appearance of power. I'd drive an H1 before a small 2-seat porsche...although I'd drive a Lamborghini before either one.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
NF: Environmentally friendly, affordable, looks do not matter. Look into carpooling or an electric car from Toyota or Honda.

Enviromentally friendly and affordable is a double plus, but I like my cars kyute! I drive a small little three-door... of course it helps that I only have to drive myself around 95% of the time, but I think I would still prefer a little cute economical car than a bigger one even if that wasn't practical.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't drive, it's too expensive and not necessary at this point in my life.

If I were to drive, I would probably buy a mid-size typical sedan-like thing, of mid-range price, acceptable looks and features, etc. Normal-looking car, nothing fancy.

If I were super rich, I'd probably buy a wicked sports car plus a high-end sedan or something for more practical stuff. Or maybe a more environmentally friendly car, to balance out the non-environmentally friendly sports car. :D

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Hmmm an SJ neighbour of mine drives a Volvo because of the supposable sense of safety... My father (ISTJ) will buy a car based on the company name. No regards for performance/fuel economy etc since he doesn't drive it. :rolli:

I'm an NF that likes pretty things. :blush: I wouldn't stand for a gas hog though. I go by what I need, what I can afford, then try to go for decent performance while still making sure it's still relatively environmentally friendly.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I've heard you can type people by what they eat for breakfast.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Ahh, now this is a post I can meaningfully contribute to.

Currently I drive an Acura Integra hatchback (technically it's a fastback).

Although I love speed I am indifferent to exotic marques such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc. The cars I love balance performance with utility such as: Subaru Impreza, VW Rabbit and the Honda Fit. IMO, the "hot hatch" is the best form of car.

My all time favorite cars are the Hillman Imp and the original Mini Cooper. Those cars had relatively good performance yet weren't prissy exotics that couldn't been driven on a daily basis.

My next car will either be a VW Rabbit or a Honda Fit.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I drive a 4 Door Sports Sedan.
Supercharged V6 not a 4 or a V8.
I drive an American car and not an Import because they're easier to work with and if anything goes wrong it doesn't cost you a fortune to repair.
Bought an 04 vs an 07 because I'm not fond of losing a ton of cash by driving it off the lot.
It has 3 child seat anchors in the back, and enough power under the hood to stomp other "sportier" cars.
I won't buy an Electric because they're just not suitable for my needs in the current state the technology is at.
Hybrids aren't worth the return on investment just to be "green" and they're not even all that much better overall.
My previous cars were all bought for less then $500, my last was a lil 4cylinder Japanese hatchback.
I'd take a Cadillac over a Corvette any day of the week.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I need something that I can throw my kayaks and bikes on top of. Second most important thing is gas mileage and environmental-friendliness (although that's kind of an oxymoron for a car). Traction and handling are tied for third place. With this in mind, the next one I buy will probably be a Subaru Outback or something similar.