• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why typing actors is hard

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Have you noticed that most INTPs will (initially) think House is INTP, INTJs will think House is INTJ, ENTPs will think House is ENTP, ENTJs will think house is ENTJ?(and after much debate some of their opinions will change)

There's a thread right now, about Rachel McAdam's type, and Ratsimoan (ENFP) says she's ENFP, while Unique (INTP) says she is INXP, IndyAnnaJoan(ISFP) says she is IXFX, Orangey (ISTP) says she is INTP, Rebe(INFP) says ISFJ.

Why is that? Because we identify with the characters they play and we'll just type them like us ?

Why do we even bother typing actors we like, if our perspective is flawed from the start?

PS: I should have posted this in Popular Culture and Type...my bad.

P

Phantonym

Perhaps some people tend to notice the characteristics they immediately identify with in the characters, so what doesn't fit is left to the background. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking. Projection...

Typing actors/characters should be taken as a good-humoured practice, not an absolute anyway. That goes for other typings as well. :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What are you proposing, then? Should we only type actors that we don't like in order to avoid the bias?

P

Phantonym

What are you proposing, then? Should we only type actors that we don't like in order to avoid the bias?

Oh, that way people are still biased against types that, for some reason, don't appeal to them all that much, thus noticing the perceived negative characteristics first.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not proposing anything.

To me( ENTP), Rachel McAdams looks ENFP. : ))

Nicodemus

What we and others have in common, we recognize; what we have not in common, we disregard.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
It boosts our self-esteem? I can only speak anecdotally, but once my ego gets involved in something, it's harder for me to be objective and detached.

Also, characters tend to portray idealized people. They're even idealized in their negative traits. For House, he has all the negative traits of us NTs, but he's portrayed in such a way that it's "so cool". We can't help but look at him and go "wow, I wish I didn't have to worry about all this emotional propriety bullshit and get away with the stuff he gets away with." He acts out what we are in our heads, naturally, without having to listen to Fe or Fi to function well within real life society.

So yeah, we see ourselves in him, see how "he's everything we wish we could be", our egos latch on to that and then we can't objectively see how his character differentiates from ourselves because we aren't looking for/we don't want to look for that differentiation.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
confirmation bias

i beat the intj word limit :tongue: ;)

yeah, probably the less like the character's personality we are, the more objective we can be. though i feel like i have a fairly easy time recognizing ENFP musicians on the spot. assuming i'm right, though i'd bet on a lot of them. but i think we like identifying people like us because that means our type has the capacity to be like that. it reflects on us. like natalie portman, she's awesome, who doesn't want to be her type?

Sunny Ghost

Perhaps some people tend to notice the characteristics they immediately identify with in the characters, so what doesn't fit is left to the background. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking. Projection...

Typing actors/characters should be taken as a good-humoured practice, not an absolute anyway. That goes for other typings as well. :D
agreed. :yes:
i'd like to throw it out there that i am in no way biased in typing rachel mcadams. :tongue10: i really don't find her to be that great of an actress, and outside of mean girls really don't have a following towards her. i just saw a girl who seemed a bit uncomfortable when speaking in interviews, and just picked up more F than T. don't know why, but i just felt that about her.

gromit

likes this
It's possible it is difficult because none of us actually know the actors in real life.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
What we and others have in common, we recognize; what we have not in common, we disregard.

I think at least in part this is because the only persons thoughts and feelsings we can ever directly experience are our own. Frequently, people use themselves (or at least their perception of themselves) as a yard stick to measure other people.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
A lot of people can't even type themselves properly. Typing fictional characters or even people you know in real life can be wrought with fallacy.

But I admit.. it's tons of fun :laugh:

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
It's possible it is difficult because none of us actually know the actors in real life.

That's what I've said a few times around here- I mean they are actors for cryin out loud! LOL

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I typed that McAdams girl by face, though. You forgot to mention that...