• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why typing actors is hard

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed the same thing, of course. I tend to notice similarities to myself and weigh in on those threads, while ignoring the ones that don't resonate with me. So there's an additional bias, although it may not actually cause incorrect typing.

Typing actors is very difficult (let alone their characters). Even the public side of an actor that they let you see is not necessarily going to reflect their "real" type that maybe their families and close friends see.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think typing actors is ludicrous.

I'm the poster child for "wtf are these SJ's doing??" and I've been typed SJ on this forum, where I put personal information. I can't imagine how wrong the types are that people guess for actors.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Have you noticed that most INTPs will (initially) think House is INTP, INTJs will think House is INTJ, ENTPs will think House is ENTP, ENTJs will think house is ENTJ?(and after much debate some of their opinions will change)

There's a thread right now, about Rachel McAdam's type, and Ratsimoan (ENFP) says she's ENFP, while Unique (INTP) says she is INXP, IndyAnnaJoan(ISFP) says she is IXFX, Orangey (ISTP) says she is INTP, Rebe(INFP) says ISFJ.

Why is that? Because we identify with the characters they play and we'll just type them like us ?

Why do we even bother typing actors we like, if our perspective is flawed from the start?

PS: I should have posted this in Popular Culture and Type...my bad.

Simple, our subjective view of reality usually gets in the way with those we idolize or look up to in some way or another. It's possible to figure out type, it's not merely all subjective though, people really should take typology less serious than it is. Typing actors is especially difficult since there is a confusion in typing the character based on who they really are or the roles that they play.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've noticed the same thing, of course. I tend to notice similarities to myself and weigh in on those threads, while ignoring the ones that don't resonate with me. So there's an additional bias, although it may not actually cause incorrect typing.

Typing actors is very difficult (let alone their characters). Even the public side of an actor that they let you see is not necessarily going to reflect their "real" type that maybe their families and close friends see.

I wrote actors but I was thinking more about the characters they play. Since people will try typing characters more than actors.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
So you didn't think she's ISTP?

Not at all.

I wrote actors but I was thinking more about the characters they play. Since people will try typing characters more than actors.

Well at least with characters they only exist within the world of the film (or show), so all of the possible information about them is available and confined. With the actors themselves, it's difficult to really obtain any information about them other than what little is made public. And even that information is suspect.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Oh, ok, my bad. That has some of the same difficulties and some different ones (mostly inconsistent/incompletely fleshed out characters). Plus since our exposure to these characters is usually limited to a number of scenes over an hour or two, there's very limited info so people will make a lot of assumptions about motives. No wonder the types are so different.

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
I've typed Amy Adams (ENFP) but it took me quite some time, and she's a fairly open and chatty (ENFP :D) person. Characters may be written inconsistently, and also have bleed-over from the actors playing them.

deleted
No, more like these people don't know how to type. If most people they type are their own type? Doesn't sound very objective to me.