• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which personality types are prone to drug addiction?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Now, that's a horribly lame excuse for not reading reading real material!
Clearly the content of his work is unremarkable if he's tagging freud as an ISFP. I mean... I like to think I'm pretty open to most any idea but, seriously?

I can dig the Te being in last position, though I'm almost staunchly opposed to the traditional four function model, but an Se preference?

Just because I like his stuff doesn't mean you'll disagree with all of it.

How narcissistic are you? You honestly believe that my decisions are based around disagreeing with yours? Sorry... you don't have that much of an impact on me... just like Beebe.

How could you have possibly dragged such self-centered foolishness from my ribbing his work based on a single (mis)diagnosis anyway?

nzAShadow

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
While I won't say I was ever addicted to anything, I did abuse adderall for years, and I smoke marijuana habitually.

Adderall is by far my favorite.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Lucky you I've thought about this before. ;)

If I were going to be addicted to drugs it would definitely be painkillers (oxycotin, percosets, vicodins, and the whole gang). Cocaine isn't as glamorous as heroine, so I'm going with heroine. I don't want a hole in my nose and I don't want to be seriously called a crack whore.

What is it about painkillers that makes them irresistible to you, say if you were an addict?

From my brief experience with them, they seem to make people more introverted- accentuating Ti and Fi.

potheads i've known: INTJ, INFJ, INFP, ENTJ, ENFJ, INTP, ENTP, ENFP, ISFP, ESFP, ESTP, ESTJ, hmmm i don't know many SJ potheads. well, i don't know many SJs. anyways.

That's interesting. The ESTJ type doesn't really seem to fit into weed consumption.

coke-fiends i've known: ESTJ, ESFP, ESTP, ISFP, ENTP, ENFP, INFP

opiate-fiends i've known: INTJ, INFP, INFJ, ENFP, ESTJ, ISFP

alchohol: everyone i know (except i'm not that into it, and neither are my INFJ or ISFJ friends. so maybe IFJs aren't that into alchohol?)

i'm sure i could think of more examples, these are just people off the top of my head.

These are fairly good examples. Can I ask where your population sample came from? Have you found that a particular drug is more prevalent in a certain profession/ industry?

hahaha[/QUOTE]

No, but apparently, a lot of people are snorting it here...

Is that where some people's credentials come into play?

And N dominance is what leaves things out?

Then marijuana doesn't fit into this thread.

LOL?
LOL???

This HAS to be a joke.

Know why alcohol helps you tune things out? It kills brain cells.

Do you know MBTI? I'm wondering if this doesn't have a hidden misogynistic
subtext.
Yes, that was the post following the one where you said it was an opiate, which does not fall under the category of alkaloids...

Similar 'happiness' effect doesn't by any means indicate parallel chemistry.

Please only give advise you subscribe to yourself.

DUDE! Kiddo already made the joke 10 posts before you. Repeating what he says word for word makes you sound like a parrot.

Cocaine is NOT an opioid-based drug- but TECHNICALLY, an alkaloid which has similar features of that of an opioid, based on the fact that it INHIBITS dopamine REUPTAKERS, not dopamine itself as Dara thinks.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
That's interesting. The ESTJ type doesn't really seem to fit into weed consumption.
Why not? Because you're an ESTJ and you don't like pot?

DUDE! Kiddo already made the joke 10 posts before you. Repeating what he says word for word makes you sound like a parrot.

Cocaine is NOT an opioid-based drug- but TECHNICALLY, an alkaloid which has similar features of that of an opioid, based on the fact that it INHIBITS dopamine REUPTAKERS, not dopamine itself as Dara thinks.

Ha! Nice try, but you're not going to be able to turn it around on me. I didn't happen to notice kiddo's post.

My point was, you tell people to "read before they comment" but you didn't even do any reading to get your facts straight before you commented on the types, and why they'd be attracted to particular drugs.

And.... I can't figure out why you insist that opioids are like alkaloids. They do EXACTLY the opposite.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Why not? Because you're an ESTJ and you don't like pot?

Personally I have to admit it doesn't really appeal to me. I think it's sort of boring, that's not to say that I haven't run into pot fantatics who were brilliant in their own way- and it seems to help them relax, but most of the types who smoke it consistently- I have noticed tend to be NP/SP types.

Ha! Nice try, but you're not going to be able to turn it around on me. I didn't happen to notice kiddo's post.

My point was, you tell people to "read before they comment" but you didn't even do any reading to get your facts straight before you commented on the types, and why they'd be attracted to particular drugs.

Well I cited a reference. No one seemed to have read that. ;)

And.... I can't figure out why you insist that opioids are like alkaloids. They do EXACTLY the opposite.

Read the reference, btw- and this is strictly grammar-related- but cocaine is an alkaloid but does not represent ALL alkaloids.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:dry: I'm STILL offended that you didn't include ESTPs in your OP- every ESTP I've ever met is a rather impressive drinker :thelook: (were this last year you never would get a sober post out of me! :cry:)

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
:dry: I'm STILL offended that you didn't include ESTPs in your OP- every ESTP I've ever met is a rather impressive drinker :thelook: (were this last year you never would get a sober post out of me! :cry:)

What I find quite charming about ESTPs is that although when completely drunk and out of their minds, they still look rather sober! :party2:

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Personally I have to admit it doesn't really appeal to me. I think it's sort of boring, that's not to say that I haven't run into pot fantatics who were brilliant in their own way- and it seems to help them relax, but most of the types who smoke it consistently- I have noticed tend to be NP/SP types.

Well I cited a reference. No one seemed to have read that. ;)

I read parts of it. I read parts of it when you first posted. I doubt that the reason no one commented on it was because it was good information.

Believe me, my arguing does not come out of poor understanding of the chemistry of the drugs. It comes out of yours.
Read the reference, btw- and this is strictly grammar-related- but cocaine is an alkaloid but does not represent ALL alkaloids.

That's the problem, you're not thinking about how it works, you're thinking about what it's classified as.

It doesn't matter if it's a representative of the alkaloids. IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE OPIOIDS, let alone be it classified as one, which was your original claim. It wasn't a miscommunication, it was you asserting a claim based on bad information and everyone catching your bullshit.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What I find quite charming about ESTPs is that although when completely drunk and out of their minds, they still look rather sober! :party2:

this is a true statement- people have always thought that I was merely buzzed while in reality I was one drink away from passing out on the nearest couch! :yes: This applies to the other ESTPs I know too! :rofl1:

I would think that it would be a type that would be more associated with alcohol abuse if not for the frat system, at least for the existance of sports bars and other such venues! :laugh:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I read parts of it. I read parts of it when you first posted. I doubt that the reason no one commented on it was because it was good information.

Believe me, my arguing does not come out of poor understanding of the chemistry of the drugs. It comes out of yours.

That's the problem, you're not thinking about how it works, you're thinking about what it's classified as.

It doesn't matter if it's a representative of the alkaloids. IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE OPIOIDS, let alone be it classified as one, which was your original claim. It wasn't a miscommunication, it was you asserting a claim based on bad information and everyone catching your bullshit.

Nocapszy, can you explain why you find hotmale's fact checking so inexcusable? I'm not understanding why this is continued to be harped on. Do you do this whenever someone's FACTS aren't immaculate, cause that's quite ironic coming from an ENTP. Does it weaken the OP because his facts aren't correct, is that what you're hinting at? I don't understand why you're needling this so hard. What response do you want from hotmale?

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
this is a true statement- people have always thought that I was merely buzzed while in reality I was one drink away from passing out on the nearest couch! :yes: This applies to the other ESTPs I know too! :rofl1:

I would think that it would be a type that would be more associated with alcohol abuse if not for the frat system, at least for the existance of sports bars and other such venues! :laugh:

Yes, ESTPs are fun to be around for that reason alone. They have a daredevil nature about them and love good friendly competition. They make the best mates for my ENTJ sister. ;)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Nocapszy, can you explain why you find hotmale's fact checking so inexcusable? I'm not understanding why this is continued to be harped on. Do you do this whenever someone's FACTS aren't immaculate, cause that's quite ironic coming from an ENTP. Does it weaken the OP because his facts aren't correct, is that what you're hinting at? I don't understand why you're needling this so hard. What response do you want from hotmale?

He brought it up. Several times. I'm just working with what I'm given.

Yes, it weakens the OP.

Do you do this whenever someone's FACTS aren't immaculate, cause that's quite ironic coming from an ENTP.
You've been listening to Bluewing too much.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ

:rofl1: Proteanmix, it's just Nocapszy's particular way of flirting with me! He takes PinkPiranha's statement about arguing with someone and still wanting to rip their clothes off as a sign of being the one WAY TOO SERIOUSLY!

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
He brought it up. Several times. I'm just working with what I'm given.

Yes, it weakens the OP.

How so? If he doesn't know the chemical compounds?

I'm rereading the thread to see where exactly it went off track. hotmale said cocaine was an opiate (which he admitted he was wrong about). Then he went on to say that it was an alkaloid-based drug (which is correct). These two drugs do completely different things in the brain, but the initial feelings users experience are similar. While opiates are depressants, users still experience a high and a rush similar to that felt by cocaine users, which is a stimulant.

So then everyone gets into chemistry. I looked it up and cocaine prevents dopamine reuptake and it pools in the synapses of the brain. Heroine prevents functioning of pain receptors in the brain. Yes, these drugs do two different functions. But why the hell am I scouring the internet over this? Frankly, I don't think there are CAUSATIONS between personality type and drug addiction.

It just seems petty to get caught up in this particular aspect of the topic. Unless you just feel like arguing, which knowing you is probably what's going on, but it seems like to me you're debating the wrong thing.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I'm rereading the thread to see where exactly it went off track. hotmale said cocaine was an opiate (which he admitted he was wrong about).

I think that was why there was an argument. He didn't admit he was wrong so then everyone went off trying to prove it to him. Instead he said it was an opiate, then an opiate base, then he mentioned that it did something to dopamine similar to opiates, and he kept rewording his answer so that he didn't have to admit that he was mistaken. It was just a lot of fun to watch. :D

Honestly, I love hotmale. I usually have to go to INTJ Central to see people that are that stubborn.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i guess its all my fault for starting this i had to go and ask "what about opiates"

so i apologize!

lazyhappy

i don't know what types are prone to drug addiction but i'll guess ESFPs and ISFPs...

i think the Sensors, as a whole, are actually more prone. They can't excape reality with thier mind so they resort to unhealthy ways...

Or maybe it is the intuitives... we can't function without a release from reality (well... atleast i can't)... and we can't take reality as well as sensors... so do we resort to drugs if we can't find any other release?

hmm... i got more things to ponder

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
How so? If he doesn't know the chemical compounds?
Well he obviously doesn't(/didn't) know what he's talking about when it comes to drugs; maybe he thought an ENTP was smoking pot, but they were actually smoking crack.

Or worse, imagine if he had mistyped them.

I'm rereading the thread to see where exactly it went off track. hotmale said cocaine was an opiate (which he admitted he was wrong about). Then he went on to say that it was an alkaloid-based drug (which is correct). These two drugs do completely different things in the brain, but the initial feelings users experience are similar. While opiates are depressants, users still experience a high and a rush similar to that felt by cocaine users, which is a stimulant.
Otherwise.... it wouldn't be a drug. The high isn't what matters. Just because we can't perceive the difference doesn't mean it's not there.

So then everyone gets into chemistry. I looked it up and cocaine prevents dopamine reuptake and it pools in the synapses of the brain. Heroine prevents functioning of pain receptors in the brain. Yes, these drugs do two different functions. But why the hell am I scouring the internet over this?[/quote] Because you feel an obligation to thwart those responses you deem frivolously argumentative?

True enough, it doesn't have any relevance... yet.
Frankly, I don't think there are CAUSATIONS between personality type and drug addiction.
Agree. There could be correlations -- doubtful... I think culture has more to do with it than type, but then to argue my own point; presumably the 'typical' response of any given type to the culture might prove responsible for some drug use.

It just seems petty to get caught up in this particular aspect of the topic. Unless you just feel like arguing, which knowing you is probably what's going on, but it seems like to me you're debating the wrong thing.
Well clearly you've got me all figured out.

You obviously haven't read as much of the thread as you say you have, because if you thoroughly examine the posts, you'll notice, he brought it up more than I did. I was only responding. I made 1 corrective response. He argued it. I argued back, etc.
I'm not 'needling' Hotmale because I want to lock heads. I'm arguing because he's wrong.

I don't mean to attack you Pro -- you raise a legitimate case, based on your hunches. I'm not just being a prick though, so you can holster the gun.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i guess its all my fault for starting this i had to go and ask "what about opiates"

so i apologize!

Ha! You can't be blamed for my behavior. Why should you be guilty for trying to be correct?

It's not like this is the french inquisition or something.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Clearly the content of his work is unremarkable if he's tagging freud as an ISFP. I mean... I like to think I'm pretty open to most any idea but, seriously?

I can dig the Te being in last position, though I'm almost staunchly opposed to the traditional four function model, but an Se preference?

How narcissistic are you? You honestly believe that my decisions are based around disagreeing with yours? Sorry... you don't have that much of an impact on me... just like Beebe.

How could you have possibly dragged such self-centered foolishness from my ribbing his work based on a single (mis)diagnosis anyway?

How arrogant can YOU be. You are acting like it's some given fact that Freud was whatever you think he was. Nobody said Freud had Te in the last position, but that he had inferior ("4th') or 'aspirational' extraverted thinking. And I think that makes a lot of sense! Freud devoted the majority of his career to "proving" his mechanical ideas of the psyche (von Franz has noted that Freud once remarked that even he was getting bored from interpreting so many dreams the same way). If Freud was an INFJ, there would be a LOT of introverted thinking in his writing, but Freud's writing was full of extraverted thinking.
I can't believe you ever criticized ME for being close-minded.