• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which personality types are prone to drug addiction?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
How arrogant can YOU be. You are acting like it's some given fact that Freud was whatever you think he was.
No I'm not. I'm acting like it's some given fact that he wasn't an ISFP. Again, you over-assume. Se doesn't lend itself to psychology well, and especially not in the way of creative invention of psychological models. You can go on as long as you want about Te being in fourth position... that doesn't really matter much. What matters are his primary functions, which were certainly not Fi and Se.

Nobody said Freud had Te in the last position, but that he had inferior ("4th') or 'aspirational' extraverted thinking.
Yes they did. According to the traditional four function model, fourth is last. That's irrelevant anyway. No ordered model holds much water in practical psychology.
And I think that makes a lot of sense! Freud devoted the majority of his career to "proving" his mechanical ideas of the psyche (von Franz has noted that Freud once remarked that even he was getting bored from interpreting so many dreams the same way).
Well if he spent most of his career trying to prove it, then it's probably more likely that Te was in second or first, not fourth.
If Freud was an INFJ, there would be a LOT of introverted thinking in his writing,
Not necessarily... shouldn't there be more Fe? And even more Ni?
but Freud's writing was full of extraverted thinking.
Hmm... sounds more like an __TJ if you ask me.
I can't believe you ever criticized ME for being close-minded.
And you'd be the only one.

machintruc

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think it's more Etype-related. Most prone to drug addiction are Four, Six and Eight.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I think that was why there was an argument. He didn't admit he was wrong so then everyone went off trying to prove it to him. Instead he said it was an opiate, then an opiate base, then he mentioned that it did something to dopamine similar to opiates, and he kept rewording his answer so that he didn't have to admit that he was mistaken. It was just a lot of fun to watch. :D

Oh come on! It's always such a party here! :) I just assumed you got the intuitive interconnections that I admit to a little messy wording in which cocaine was LIKE an opiate based on the research citation I gave which describes cocaine (as opposed to other alkaloids) as being similiar to the effect of an opiate by way of dopamine reuptaker inhibition.

Honestly, I love hotmale. I usually have to go to INTJ Central to see people that are that stubborn.

LOL. I love you too man. BIG HUG!

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Oh come on! It's always such a party here! :) I just assumed you got the intuitive interconnections that I admit to a little messy wording in which cocaine was LIKE an opiate based on the research citation I gave which describes cocaine (as opposed to other alkaloids) as being similiar to the effect of an opiate by way of dopamine reuptaker inhibition.

:rofl1:

Yes, I was there. I observed how "cocaine is an opiate" morphed into "cocaine is like an opiate based on research which describes the effects it has on dopamine." It had a few stages in between, including my favorite, "cocaine is an opiate based stimulant". ;)

Do you find being stubborn a curse or a blessing? :D

redacted

having done cocaine at least 40 times and opiates at least 100 times, i can say they feel nothing alike at all.

they're like opposites, honestly. opiates make you want to sit on the couch and not think while you're like nodding out, and coke makes you ridiculously talkative -- calling everyone in your phone and ranting until 7am.

i think INFJs, or maybe enneatype 1s would be very unlikely to enjoy coke as much as opiates, because coke makes impulse-control pretty impossible, and you can stay in control on opiates.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i've never done any drugs but i have seen the differences in how people act when they are on cocaine as opposed to opiates, and it is totally different.

lazyhappy

I think i might have a theory!

I think those with Se as a dominant function may be more prone to use drugs.

Se is the process where you process life through your experiences. It is the ability to be keen, to what is seen, smelled, touched, heard and tasted. It is energized by experience, and it is the function which allows one to "live in the momment"
-mypersonality.info

"sensations" seems to be the definition of Se... and drugs are a type of sensation.

I have seen a few examples of this. My dad is a heavy user who is very addicted to drugs- he is ISFP. Fi-Se

Another is my ENTJ mom who's 3rd funtion is Se. She used in her teen years... but yet she has given it up.

it could be the combo of Fi and Se or something such as that. drugs could be addictive to any person, if you ask me, but if i had to list types, i'd go by Se and maybe Fi... maybe

I do not wish to offend, so if i have, i am sorry.

Urchin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't know all that much about drug addictions, but I've interacted with a lot of eating-disordered people and self-injurers, so I've seen some addictive behavior types. Generally it seemed to be a lot of Is and Js. With anorexics, there seemed to be a lot of IxTJ types, as they have a tendency towards obsessive-compulsive thought processes. Bulimics had more of a tendency for out-of-control emotions, which puts them more in the F catagory. They were also more often extroverted than anorexics, but as a class still more introverted than average. Self-harmers were all over the place, depending on their reasons for doing it. The kind that used it to numb themselves were more T-like, as they could not handle feeling emotion. Those who did it as catharsis were more F-like.

I'm not a psychologist, so these are just my guesses.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I can really only say for myself. I never worried about addiction until last year when I was injured pretty badly and had to take pain meds (opiants) for 9 weeks. I can, definitely, see how people get addicted to them. I could not handle stress as well when I quit taking them and there was ALOT of stress going on....perhaps the most I've ever gone through. I had some pills left that I didn't need for pain anymore and I was very, very, tempted to take them at times. I resisted doing that by thinking about what kind of life it would be if I got addicted.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
having done cocaine at least 40 times and opiates at least 100 times, i can say they feel nothing alike at all.

they're like opposites, honestly. opiates make you want to sit on the couch and not think while you're like nodding out, and coke makes you ridiculously talkative -- calling everyone in your phone and ranting until 7am.

i think INFJs, or maybe enneatype 1s would be very unlikely to enjoy coke as much as opiates, because coke makes impulse-control pretty impossible, and you can stay in control on opiates.

I'm not saying the drugs are identical in chemistry- but that a similar sense of euphoria takes over the senses.

Definitely cocaine seems more of a social drug done in group activities- whereas opiates- seem to make people more introverted and more of a solitary drug.

Although there is that group in between that likes to inject speedballs- cocaine + heroin.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I think i might have a theory!

I think those with Se as a dominant function may be more prone to use drugs.

Se is the process where you process life through your experiences. It is the ability to be keen, to what is seen, smelled, touched, heard and tasted. It is energized by experience, and it is the function which allows one to "live in the momment"
-mypersonality.info

"sensations" seems to be the definition of Se... and drugs are a type of sensation.

I have seen a few examples of this. My dad is a heavy user who is very addicted to drugs- he is ISFP. Fi-Se

Another is my ENTJ mom who's 3rd funtion is Se. She used in her teen years... but yet she has given it up.

it could be the combo of Fi and Se or something such as that. drugs could be addictive to any person, if you ask me, but if i had to list types, i'd go by Se and maybe Fi... maybe

I do not wish to offend, so if i have, i am sorry.

Sorry- but couldn't help but notice that your parents are opposite personality types! hahahaha...and ISFP dad and ENTJ mother- what was that like?

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
i've never done any drugs but i have seen the differences in how people act when they are on cocaine as opposed to opiates, and it is totally different.

What about alcohol?

I think each is different in terms of group interaction. I saw a documentary on The Velvet Underground in which Nico, a heroin addict loved living in dark, sunlight-less places in which she could veg out- which I think is typical of opiate abusers, while cocaine users are always on the go.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not saying the drugs are identical in chemistry- but that a similar sense of euphoria takes over the senses.
Have you done either of the drugs?

Definitely cocaine seems more of a social drug done in group activities- whereas opiates- seem to make people more introverted and more of a solitary drug.
I wouldn't try and impose MBTI bull on drug effects. They're essentially incongruent.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ

That's interesting. Can you give an example of how coke can make impulse control impossible? Basically I think Feelers would be more prone than Thinker-types. Although I have noticed INTJs to lack similar impulse control- but on a different level.

redacted

That's interesting. Can you give an example of how coke can make impulse control impossible? Basically I think Feelers would be more prone than Thinker-types. Although I have noticed INTJs to lack similar impulse control- but on a different level.

i dunno, i guess it doesn't make impulse control impossible. probably alcohol does that even more. i guess what i'm really trying to say is that being on coke is really embarrassing to me. i end up ranting and ranting without being able to stop myself from talking; the next morning i'm always really self conscious about what i said.

plus, it just makes you look ugly: moving your tongue randomly around your mouth and moving your jaw around...ewwww...

i basically hate all uppers for those reasons.

anyways, it's really hard to relate all this stuff to type.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
This is clearly a topic that should be settled on some kind of reality television show.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP

I know an INFJ who was addicted to coke. She broke the habit and switched to chronic pot smoking. From what she told me, she was forced to quit, but chose to never use it again. This could have been because of the control issues you are describing, as she also had OCD.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
i basically hate all uppers for those reasons.
I've never tried coke, but I do like amphetamines quite a lot.
OTOH, opiates don't really do much for me. The sensation isn't worth how addictive they can be.

anyways, it's really hard to relate all this stuff to type.
As for type of drug preferred, yes, I agree that it's difficult to predict based on type. As for doing any sort of drug, I think that certain types are more prone to drug use. In my experience, these would be:

ISTP
ESTP
INFJ
INTP
ESFP
ENTP

ISFJ and ISFP may experiment, but end up stopping.
On INTPcentral, some INTPs are vehemently against drug use, and some enjoy experimentation.
I think INFJs are the same way -- open to experimentation, as long as it doesn't go against their ideals.
I think ENTPs pick a drug and stick with it.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I've never tried coke, but I do like amphetamines quite a lot.
OTOH, opiates don't really do much for me. The sensation isn't worth how addictive they can be.

Now that's interesting! Using you as a microcosm, perhaps ST-types prefer amphetamines as opposed to opiates because it increases NF sensations. Some NTs have told me that they personally hate amphetamines- because it makes them paranoid- hence increasing their Ni-Ne-Ti-Te sensibilities.

It's also possible that NTs might then be more prone towards painkiller addiction due to heightening their opposite senses.

As for type of drug preferred, yes, I agree that it's difficult to predict based on type. As for doing any sort of drug, I think that certain types are more prone to drug use. In my experience, these would be:

ISTP
ESTP
INFJ
INTP
ESFP
ENTP

ISFJ and ISFP may experiment, but end up stopping.
On INTPcentral, some INTPs are vehemently against drug use, and some enjoy experimentation.
I think INFJs are the same way -- open to experimentation, as long as it doesn't go against their ideals.
I think ENTPs pick a drug and stick with it.

In my opinion, ISFPs are similar to INFPs in drug addiction- from what's I've observed. ISFJs seem consistently to have a non-addictive personality.