• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni Domance and Memory for Numbers

Usehername

On a mission
I was reading this thread where The Liquid Laser (among others) mentioned how Ni dominants (namely, INTJ and INFJ types) have the most trouble putting their thoughts into words.

My brain is not very linear, but I feel it is very organized. Just extremely personalized, which makes it hard to leave a trail of crumbs when, to other brains, things seem to race all over the place and back and around.

But, I have a noticeable memory for birthdays, license plates and phone numbers. I don't try too hard to remember them; sometimes I don't even intend to remember them but I do anyway.

Do any other Ni dominants relate to this? I think it has to do with the way my brain is organized.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I was reading this thread where The Liquid Laser (among others) mentioned how Ni dominants (namely, INTJ and INFJ types) have the most trouble putting their thoughts into words.

My brain is not very linear, but I feel it is very organized. Just extremely personalized, which makes it hard to leave a trail of crumbs when, to other brains, things seem to race all over the place and back and around.

But, I have a noticeable memory for birthdays, license plates and phone numbers. I don't try too hard to remember them; sometimes I don't even intend to remember them but I do anyway.

Do any other Ni dominants relate to this? I think it has to do with the way my brain is organized.
I think my brain is systematically organized... but it's not linearly organized by any means. It's like hypertext, or a mind map. Everything is linked together like nodes on a web.

My memory for birthdays, numbers etc however is very poor. I have a great deal of difficulties recalling specific names and numbers. Concepts and ideas stays around much easier. :doh: Although sometimes I can recall random irrelevant pieces of data that's none of my business...:blush: So no, I'm not like you in that regards.

However I do have difficulties putting thoughts into words. I find it hard to pick the right words to describe my thoughts. My train of thought jumps around a lot. That nonlinearity makes it tough to find a way of phrasing things that other people can follow.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz

My brain is a scattering of thoughts which go fast in a intuitively uncontrolled yet systematic way. If I get excited about something thoughts jump and jump onto the next as a thought is finished and it's sometimes very hard remembering where I began. It's "Aha!" then "Aha!" and "Aha!" but "What was the first 'Aha!' about again? Damnit!" If I don't write it down right after it occurs, bye bye spectacular thought! (Same thing with my INTJ sis. When we rollercoaster our thoughts out loud as they come, we fight to turn around and know where we first got on...she's worse when speaking to others, though). Distract me out of what I'm saying and I'll likely forget it completely. I really agree with nightning's mention of 'linkage'. Connections are easily seen and searched for with our thoughts/memories or outside in the world. Applied easiet to people or ideas of people, I'd assume.

I have to batter new information if mostly objective in nature in order to retain it, depending on what it is and how often I am in contact with the info. If there's a connection to old info remembered, it's easier to learn. If it's completely new or involves a LOT of stats or involvement of dates (like History!) or a set of instructions being told and not written for me to peer over, it's = "um say that again?" over again.. I can recall the gist of it, however. I can recall what the stats implied and what it explained in a general way. It's easy remembering what people tell me if it's of a personal matter and I'm likely not going to forget it even if they do.

I find I am eloquent with my words and it's not hard speaking when I choose to (I thoroughly enjoy class discussions if interesting). The worst thing is when the word I need to express the most is off the "tip of the tongue phenomena" and I recall it waaay after it was needed at the time. The thing is, I will not part with my words to the public unless I have laboriously thought about it. However long it takes, whether short or much longer, is dependent on my familiarity with the subject. In groups, I must feel "secure" with the people at hand and have known them for a little while because I've "gauged" their temperments (even if disagreeable) and "in my head" have armed myself for what I'm gonna get upon opening my mouth.

However, speaking on my most sacred "thoughts/feelings" is the hardest to explain and the hardest to let out due to trust issues--the priviledged in my life are ever privy only after a long time of knowing them. When I do speak about it, I've found that repeatedly thinking on the same thoughts on my feelings will help even that out eventually or when I speak it aloud and they help me with a different perspective I wouldn't have thought of b/c I was so stuck on 'something'.

I concur with you on personal dates. With birthdays, only if people are close to me for the most part or I'll recall at least the astrology sign if they aren't. Same with phone numbers and names. Only if I'm in constant contact and I will make myself remember b/c it'd be rude not to.

As nightning said, I have trouble remember faces though if not familiar, and I believe that's Si terrain, our weakest function. So that makes sense to me. I think Se is the cause of why we have so much trouble speaking our thoughts if there's too much noise. I'll zoom into any sound loud enough to catch my ear or interest. I don't notice when people stop talking because I'm already in my head once the noise is gone. If I play music and it stops, I'll notice after a while unless it's on repeat. If it's on repeat even, I stop actively listening and it's 'background' music for my thoughts. Probably b/c I'm not hearing anything new and am used to them.

Lastly, I don't speak a lot in public unless broached on something or I feel confident in broaching the current subject of my heart without rejection or if so arm myself hard for rejection. If it seems as though I say a lot online, it's because I can "edit-edit-edit" before posting and holistically look over my words and "no one is interrupting my thoughts as they come and I type" (I type very fast...). Even then, I sometimes fear I didn't say something right or I later realise there was some little error.. which always gets me :steam:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm almost the opposite. I can retain words easily, but tend to forget numbers unless I write them down or have heard them associated/entered them many times before. Also, I'm good at translating my thoughts into words for some reason. I don't personally agree with the idea of Ni have trouble translating thoughts into words, because I'm pretty sure I think in words.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
I'm almost the opposite. I can retain words easily, but tend to forget numbers unless I write them down or have heard them associated/entered them many times before. Also, I'm good at translating my thoughts into words for some reason. I don't personally agree with the idea of Ni have trouble translating thoughts into words, because I'm pretty sure I think in words.

I think so too. I think it's the feeling behind something that happens on the spot that may be the problem. If I've gasped in my head b/c I've realised something sometimes it's explaining out loud what is so strongly understood in my head out into the public that's the problem. I'm still eloquent with my words but I have to find a way of relating it for others to understand. Either because the words I use are too unfamiliar to them (not to sound arrogant) or because it's too complex of an idea Edit: or to new of an idea for them. I'll try to connect the idea to something else they may be familiar with to help ease the transition, either successfuly understood by them or not.

Edit: Also, it's sometimes such a rush in my head that articulation is the problem :steam: ! I can hash the idea out but it's a tiring process if I ramble words to get around to the meaning behind it all. I fight though, I fight--

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think of my brain as something like a spiderweb. I crawl around on it looking for things and I can usually retrace my steps.

Numbers . . . Birthdays I can do, but only to a point. I probably know 30 or 40 people's birthdays, mostly family. Phone numbers I have to make a conscious effort to memorize and it doesn't happen right away. It takes a few days at least. License plates not so much. I also have a hard time not flipping number sequences in my head.

My memory is better at just remembering random facts and connections.

Oh, I definitely think in words, too.

Could this be a auditory/visual learner thing? I'm an auditory learner.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My brain is very disorganized, as well. I never think linearly. If I have a story idea in my head, I imagine a scene that may not be from beginning to end, but they just assume their parts as I go along. So in my mind, I build wherever I choose. Sort of like a middle piece building its way on all ends rather than from down to up or from left to right.

In the case of numbers, I am very good at memorizing statistics of things that interest me. For example, I have a fantastic memory for roller coaster statistics -- with many of them, I can name the height, speed, and track length from off the top of my head. With my interest in movie special effects, I can easily remember how many effects shots a movie had, which sequences each effects company worked on and even how many shots each effects company worked on. But with the numbers in that case, it's usually an approximation.

I also have a good memory for facts in relation to patterns. For example, of all the six Star Wars movies, I remember that Attack of the Clones is the only one in which the camera tilts up instead of down after the opening titles. Same with Revenge of the Sith -- I remember that it is the only Star Wars movie to not receive a nomination for the Visual Effects Oscar.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmmm... I have weird self-invented "mind" tricks that I use to remember numbers. Now that I think about it, it's mostly just making a pattern out of the numbers.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Oh yes. Very much so.

I once remembered a phone number that I had not used for over 20 years which belonged to a childhood neighbor! I am notorious for phone numbers actually. Now that I'm older and have 3 kids (children cause brain damage ;)) I have a harder time, but if I have dialed a number a few times, I will probably remember it for a month or more.

I have an easier time with odd numbers. Even numbers don't seem to have a memory bin in my brain in which to reside.:D I will remember a number even longer if I see it written down. My memory is somewhat photographic.

I still remember phone numbers of former friends in Maryland where I used to reside, and it's been almost 10 years since we moved! I call them about once a year.

Before I had children, I even used to have my checking account numbers memorized!

I also do quite well with a piano keyboard. I tend to remember the "shapes" of the chord fingerings, which I believe at it's foundation is probably also somewhat number based.

Atomic Fiend

Names are easy, as for numbers I can't even remember my own cell phone number,

and I think I just forgot my pin. Great.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It's odd. At work, my boss and others recognize communication - written AND verbal - as one of my greatest strengths. So, I can put work-related thoughts into words. But I consider this more fact-based stuff. Tangible work-related ideas, system details, etc. So I can speak pretty well in meetings and present my thoughts.

But when it comes to my *personal* thoughts, beliefs, and feelings, I feel like I have a really hard time expressing myself. Maybe other people who are on the receiving end think I'm coherent, I don't know..but as for my own perception, I think I do a horrible job. But it's probably because I have a million little links/connections in my head, that I'm unable to verbalize, so what DOES come out is a tiny miniscule amount of what's really in there. I don't know. It's why I'm so much more comfortable in writing my thoughts/beliefs out....because I have the time to extract it from my brain and put some order into it. If I don't have a chunk of time to gather my thoughts, which I really don't have in a real-life conversation, then I'm not going to get much out.

Oh, I'm not one to bother remembering phone numbers. I just don't make the conscious effort to memorize a lot of that stuff!

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Names are easy, as for numbers I can't even remember my own cell phone number,

and I think I just forgot my pin. Great.

I've had a hard time remembering my cell's # too, any of them. Whenever people ask for it and I can't recall it, they think I'm crazy. Pin #s too, like a debit # ...only way I remember is if I turn them into a tune or do it w/ actively thinking.

Old HS locker pin....couldn't recall it to save my books but I could open it "without thinking". Or I'll remember the numbers way after .:doh:

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
It's odd. At work, my boss and others recognize communication - written AND verbal - as one of my greatest strengths. So, I can put work-related thoughts into words. But I consider this more fact-based stuff. Tangible work-related ideas, system details, etc. So I can speak pretty well in meetings and present my thoughts.

But when it comes to my *personal* thoughts, beliefs, and feelings, I feel like I have a really hard time expressing myself. Maybe other people who are on the receiving end think I'm coherent, I don't know..but as for my own perception, I think I do a horrible job. But it's probably because I have a million little links/connections in my head, that I'm unable to verbalize, so what DOES come out is a tiny miniscule amount of what's really in there. I don't know. It's why I'm so much more comfortable in writing my thoughts/beliefs out....because I have the time to extract it from my brain and put some order into it. If I don't have a chunk of time to gather my thoughts, which I really don't have in a real-life conversation, then I'm not going to get much out.

Oh, I'm not one to bother remembering phone numbers. I just don't make the conscious effort to memorize a lot of that stuff!

Exactly! I also think I do a horrible job translating my 'personal' thoughts/beliefs/feelings when speaking or I think I do b/c "it's not enough of what's inside" even if I'm eloquent about it. And others tell me they thought I made sense or it was fine but I felt rushed or something. Yea.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also remember my social security number without looking at it.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I am good at remembering names alongside surnames because I just have this fondness for names. I really like names.
Inversely I can only remember birthdays that either are close to my own or are easier to memorize by virtue of some numerical pattern (like 12-12, 01-10, 04-08, etc). I am not good at memorizing phone numbers though, except the ones I use often.

There's also the thing nightning mentioned -- sometimes I almost feel like I am a fountain of fairly insignificant, sometimes relevant, statistical, random, or even useless information that float to my mind as the subject relating to them is breached.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
I am good at remembering names alongside surnames because I just have this fondness for names. I really like names.
Inversely I can only remember birthdays that either are close to my own or are easier to memorize by virtue of some numerical pattern (like 12-12, 01-10, 04-08, etc). I am not good at memorizing phone numbers though, except the ones I use often.

There's also the thing nightning mentioned -- sometimes I almost feel like I am a fountain of fairly insignificant, sometimes relevant, statistical, random, or even useless information that float to my mind as the subject relating to them is breached.

I relate that fount of insignifcant info also as an "Aha!" moment that erupts as it chooses or is prodded unawares by/to me. I fancy one day those info will become necessary or relavent for the future, and some initially thought irrelevant info has become useful for me/others.

When it comes to stats though, if fairly commonly known, it's not so hard getting it right. Otherwise, I'm fairly 'close' or off a bit of some numbers. When it comes to names, I love knowing the meaning of them and find it rude or lazy when others don't try to pronounce someone's name correctly or Anglicize them-- even when the people themselves Anglicize their name to fit in or not be mocked.

I've been fortunate in having people in my life with bdays on holidays lol or near them. I can't help but associate their birthdays to holidays after knowing them even after years of not speaking to some of them.

redacted

i have a ridiculous memory for numbers, so does my ENTP brother (he literally knows the birthday of 400+ people), and so does my INTP dad.

my INFJ (1) and INTJ (3) friends don't seem to be able to remember numbers well at all.

i guess the point i'm trying to make is that there's probably no correlation (or maybe a tiny tiny one i guess)

maybe it correlates better with Ti?

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I tend to think in the "web of ideas" (which was coincidentally described in a response to another thread just a bit ago), or in charts, images, or some other sort of visual methods.

It doesn't seem to help with remembering numbers any more or less. I do seem to remember music tunes/songs pretty well though.